Re: Self taught or taking lessons

LegoGE61104 wrote:

I'm pretty much self-taught using some chord books, and Alfred's Basic Guitar series.  Also I took some lessons from a local pastor who teaches guitar free of charge as an outreach of his church..  It's sort of frustrating though not having anyone to help me on an ongoing basis.  And being unemployed I'm not able to pay for lessons.

That was pretty much how I felt when I first started decades ago.   Thats why I thank the heavens this place is here, it gives me incentive as well as a lot of info.....we're all in this together.

Take care

Peace

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I've heard that there's free podcasts on iTunes that will help you with your playing. I'm gonna go check it out.

ScR3@m M3 @ 10v3 50nG

I hate when people call me ~&^young,^&~ just because of my ~$)age($~
Did you ever consider my ~#(Mind?)#~

Self taught here...going on year now.
Everyday is exactly the same...
Everything I play sounds the same...
I find myself using the same stupid chords unless I'm reading someone elses music...
I had a teacher for about  weekends in a row until he got a job...then that was over.
Now I'm just playing in church...where my sound isn't accepted by anyone...
And I've come to realize that I have no soul.
Not the spiritual "Soul"...but the thing that most guitarists have that give their music expression and flavor...

Whatever it is...I don't have it.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Keep at it Detman101, your musical soul may seen non-exitant to you, but I'm sure to the person who is playing a guitar for the very first time, you have tons of soul. One day you'll hear yourself as you play and realize that you've come a long way. Becoming a seasoned guitar player is a lifelong adventure.

You do have it, everyone has is it, some just take a little longer to find it.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Sometimes I find myself coming across old songs that I know how to sing very well, but I can't seem to get the rhythm down.  Then I will come across it again several months later and all of a sudden it seems to work out.  Go figure.  And some days I sit down with the guitar and can't seam to play anything quite right and other days where I really sound good to myself.  I know it takes me longer than most to get simple patterns down, but the more I practice, the better I sound.  So, keep trying, over and over.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

56 (edited by ozymandias 2009-01-01 18:47:44)

bensonp wrote:

Sometimes I find myself coming across old songs that I know how to sing very well, but I can't seem to get the rhythm down.  Then I will come across it again several months later and all of a sudden it seems to work out.  Go figure.  And some days I sit down with the guitar and can't seam to play anything quite right and other days where I really sound good to myself.  I know it takes me longer than most to get simple patterns down, but the more I practice, the better I sound.  So, keep trying, over and over.

Agreed, sometimes a little "rest" then returning to a piece with fresh eyes and ears goes a long way.  A lot of times I go over some old stuff with my teacher and it feels better. 

As for the not having a soul, if you love the music, you got a soul!

Hang in there!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Yes, we all have soul, just  takes some longer to mold.  Like me.  I've just decided I want to learn how to fingerpick.  Talk about uncoordinated, but with a little practice every day for the last week, I have gotten a little better.  It'll take me longer than most, but hey....

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

Yes, we all have soul, just  takes some longer to mold.  Like me.  I've just decided I want to learn how to fingerpick.  Talk about uncoordinated, but with a little practice every day for the last week, I have gotten a little better.  It'll take me longer than most, but hey....

Amen, you hit the nail on the head.

Detman101, don't give up!  Like everyone has said, you have good days and bad ones playing and learning the guitar.  I got pretty frustrated my first year too.  I wanted to sound like the recordings!  Then all of a sudden you turn a corner and can play stuff you couldn't a while back.  It really is a long journey.......but definitely worth it!

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Detman you might need a break so maybe try fingerpicking a SINGLE chord until your right hand (picking hand) learns the "dance" on its own.  Try Travis picking (thumb, 1, thumb, 2) where your thumb picks bass note index finger (1) picks next, thumb picks bass note, and middle finger (2) picks a note.  Just don't give up.  It will make you hear differently.   After a couple days do the same with anothre chord.  In a few more, try to move between those chords while continuing the pattern.  You should start hearing music patterns differently.  Good luck but don't fret.

AccoustikNoyz wrote:

Detman you might need a break so maybe try fingerpicking a SINGLE chord until your right hand (picking hand) learns the "dance" on its own.  Try Travis picking (thumb, 1, thumb, 2) where your thumb picks bass note index finger (1) picks next, thumb picks bass note, and middle finger (2) picks a note.  Just don't give up.  It will make you hear differently.   After a couple days do the same with anothre chord.  In a few more, try to move between those chords while continuing the pattern.  You should start hearing music patterns differently. 

Good luck but don't fret.

Good advice, good pun!  <grin>

I just became interested in Travis picking yesterday and am fumbling along.  I finally kind of have the pattern down but still can't do it without watching my fingers closely.  I really feel like a spastic with my right hand, but I am determined to learn it.  Practice, practice, practice, I guess.

bensonp wrote:

I just became interested in Travis picking yesterday and am fumbling along.  I finally kind of have the pattern down but still can't do it without watching my fingers closely.  I really feel like a spastic with my right hand, but I am determined to learn it.  Practice, practice, practice, I guess.

I feel what your saying, I have had the hardest time learning to feel chord changes and string playing WITHOUT looking.  I am such a klutz.  BUT, there is hope on the horizon, since I began my group "Olde time string band" classes, I have improved on the transition from one chord to another without looking.  When your in a solo lesson or practicing at home, it's easy to be lazy.

But in group, it's either keep up and learn.  <grin>

That's true Ozy.  It took me along time to get the chord changes down, but now I do it without thinking most of the time.  It will be the same for picking.  I am already getting more comfortable with it, although I am still pretty slow.  It just takes time for the finger memory thing to kick in.

I grew up with a guitar in my hands  i have been very fortunate to other relatives and friends to teach me. I have been playing every saturday lately at a local club for seven years and every weekend before that with my sons at dances.  35 years of playing all together now.  my love of music is great .  I                                                                                                                     respect any musician that plays beginner and up  it is a grate profession

bensonp wrote:

That's true Ozy.  It took me along time to get the chord changes down, but now I do it without thinking most of the time.  It will be the same for picking.  I am already getting more comfortable with it, although I am still pretty slow.  It just takes time for the finger memory thing to kick in.

Yeah, I'm feeling that as well.  An old teacher of mine once quoted some old advice to me.

"Do it a hundred times, you learn it.  Do it a thousand times and it's yours." 

I have no idea where that originated, but it works!

I might just try that 100 times thing later in the day.  I am sure it should work because practice is important. Boy, not sure I am looking forward to that.  But just how bad do I want to learn?  There is my answer.

Well, I've broken down and called an instructor.  Told him specifically what I want to improve on and he says he can help with that.  Haven't worked it out yet, but I'm actually getting excited about improving my playing.  There are some obvious things I need to improve upon with both my right hand and my left, and I'm just not going to get it out of a book.  My buddy with whom I used to jamm and who helped me to learn quite a lot has moved to Tennessee (eight hour drive at a minimum).  So, I'm going to see if an instructor can help me, and hope too that my daughter will want to learn from him. Maybe he can show her a couple of easy songs or riffs and some of the cheat chords so she can strum along with Daddy.  That'd be fun.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Well, I've broken down and called an instructor.  Told him specifically what I want to improve on and he says he can help with that.  Haven't worked it out yet, but I'm actually getting excited about improving my playing.  There are some obvious things I need to improve upon with both my right hand and my left, and I'm just not going to get it out of a book.  My buddy with whom I used to jamm and who helped me to learn quite a lot has moved to Tennessee (eight hour drive at a minimum).  So, I'm going to see if an instructor can help me, and hope too that my daughter will want to learn from him. Maybe he can show her a couple of easy songs or riffs and some of the cheat chords so she can strum along with Daddy.  That'd be fun.

- Zurf

Good luck.  Its good to have somebody give feedback from watching what you do.

Hi Guys,

New to here [1st day, 1st post actually]...

I've wanted to learn guitar for at least 5 years and am taking instruction since Oct [raging I didnt start all those years ago, I'm addicted].  Practicing hard and went to an instructor so I could learn the right way from the start [didnt want to pick up bad habits if thats possible].  My problem now is I want to run before I can walk never mind crawl...

Respect to all you self taught musicians...

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now or then...

bimmam wrote:

Hi Guys,

New to here [1st day, 1st post actually]...

I've wanted to learn guitar for at least 5 years and am taking instruction since Oct [raging I didnt start all those years ago, I'm addicted].  Practicing hard and went to an instructor so I could learn the right way from the start [didnt want to pick up bad habits if thats possible].  My problem now is I want to run before I can walk never mind crawl...

Respect to all you self taught musicians...

Yeah, I know that feeling,  I wanted to run before I could walk, got frustrated and had to be patient with myself and rein myself in.

I'm pretty much self taught but have found that just playing with someone else accelerates the learning process. Different songs, different techniques and more fun.

Of course it helps if the people you jam with are much bettter than you...

Micey wrote:

I'm pretty much self taught but have found that just playing with someone else accelerates the learning process. Different songs, different techniques and more fun.

Of course it helps if the people you jam with are much bettter than you...

Agreed, as well as my private lessons, I am in an "Olde time string band" group class.  Mandolins, violins, etc.  And my ability to switch chords better and faster has improved, not to mention doing better with rhythm and strum patterns.

In the 60's and early 70's, most of us wanna be's relied on learning from each other. I believe Woodstock started most of it.
A lot of people stopped playing but many of us kept going on regardless of what life dealt us. Over the years I've stopped playing for periods of time, but when I saw a new guitar I liked, I started playing again. Along with the interest of a lot of younger people wanting to learn what ever it is that I know. And then came the internet, which made so many things possible for us that were self taught. New chords, new equipment, new possibilities. Whether it be learning a new song, just finding all the old music or trying to keep up with all the new stuff from the many, many talented new artists. Maybe stumbling upon Chordie gave us a new place to go. The chance to share what we play and listen to with everyone else out there that feels the same in some way as us.
During many experiences in our lives, there is a song or songs, that we can just mellow out and relate that music to what ever it is that has happened. After 35 years of playing, all for fun and personal satisfaction, I find it awesome that a website like Chordie
is available for all of us. So much stuff, so little time. My advice to all the younger folks, whatever happens in your daily lives, try to keep up the interest in playing. Over the years your experience alone will be priceless.

scallopman wrote:

In the 60's and early 70's, most of us wanna be's relied on learning from each other. I believe Woodstock started most of it.
A lot of people stopped playing but many of us kept going on regardless of what life dealt us. Over the years I've stopped playing for periods of time, but when I saw a new guitar I liked, I started playing again. Along with the interest of a lot of younger people wanting to learn what ever it is that I know. And then came the internet, which made so many things possible for us that were self taught. New chords, new equipment, new possibilities. Whether it be learning a new song, just finding all the old music or trying to keep up with all the new stuff from the many, many talented new artists. Maybe stumbling upon Chordie gave us a new place to go. The chance to share what we play and listen to with everyone else out there that feels the same in some way as us.
During many experiences in our lives, there is a song or songs, that we can just mellow out and relate that music to what ever it is that has happened. After 35 years of playing, all for fun and personal satisfaction, I find it awesome that a website like Chordie
is available for all of us. So much stuff, so little time. My advice to all the younger folks, whatever happens in your daily lives, try to keep up the interest in playing. Over the years your experience alone will be priceless.

Indeed! Well said!