Topic: Music's Effect on Emotions

Hello.  I'm very new to the music scene and learning a musical instrument is something I've only been enjoying the last year or so.  Anyway, I'm wondering about the WHY music affects how we feel and why animals don't react to the same tones as humans do.  I mean, you'll never see a cat weep from listening to some beautifully sad piece of violin music but it can sure make a human teary-eyed.  Dogs might howl at a passing firetruck but it's not like they are really singing along.

Why does music make us want to dance?  Why can music make us feel sad or happy?  Or angry?  Or malevolent?

Any theories?  Or does someone happen to know?

Beginner guitar player, 42, been playing a little over a year.  I'm the singer in a little garage band and I'm trying to hone my guitar skills so I can play and sing as well.  I'm also lefty, with 2 electrics and 1 accoustic.

Re: Music's Effect on Emotions

Hi teebird,I really like the cat pic you have up there. That is agreat question you ask and it must have a ton of answeres,I get worked up with alot of tunes out there and I really dont know why. I do know alot of them bring back great memories,and some not so great. I am going too keep watching this thred and see what other people come up with.                             dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

That's a good question, and I don't know if anyone could tell you exactly why music generates emotion in us.  I do know that we can describe the musical forms that do.   When we talk about "resolution" that is for the most part what we mean. It's that satisfying end to a chord progression or melody line.  There are some simple rules described in music theory you can follow that will lead you to resolution, and hopefully a positive emotional experience.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I would say music emanates from the soul, which is your spiritual being or core. eg Leonard Cohen I would imagine is a very mournful person - hence his style of singing and playing . If i'm feeling down some LOUD Hendrix works for me - but music definitely sets the mood of and for most people. The scientists and shrinks could and would have a field day with this.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

Hey Buvvy,

Actually the Scientists and Shrinks have delved into the effects of sound on the human psyche.  There are certain frequencies and tones (same thing) that stimulate areas of the brain resulting in the increased levels of such compounds as dopamine, adrenaline, etc.  Chemicals that directly effect human responses emotionally.  That's why background music in a scary movie builds suspense and enhances the response to the visual presentation.

There is quite a body of research on the subject and surprisingly (or not), a lot of it was funded by the military as part of Psych-warfare. 

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

teebrd,

I was going to say along the linesof we are brought up to know that music is for dancing to for enjoyment, but I remember years ago at a wedding reception as well as my own son when about 9 month old - 18 months old moving to music. Not really dancing but rocking back and forward as if i were a ntural thing to do. Maybe they got this from watching adults dancing? make you wonder though doesnt it. Was it from watching adults or do we as humans naturally move to a beat that makes us dance.

As for a cat not feeling emotion to a song is probably because they have not got the intelligence to know what  sad tune is compared to a happy tune. I dont even think a baby would know this either, they would learn as they grow I would say.

I think we need a physcologist guitar playing person on chordie to proffessionally answer questions that none of us really know the answe to lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi Teebird,

No! i dont have the answer either.   I do know with myself music focuses my brain when i hear certain songs.
Transports me back in time so vividly, i can remember just where i was , who i was with, and what i was wearing. My sences become heightened.  This song always baffles me when i hear it though. As soon as the first chord is played i start to well up with tears?
I havent a clue why, or where i was when i heard it first . yet! it reduces me to floods of tears everytime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CA2Pi4gYxQ

There must be some truth in music and emotions being tied together! dont the supermakets play certain  music to get shoppers to buy more products ?

heres a link i came across because of your question.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Music-and-Emo … p;id=40634

Also  the smell of someone ironing, takes me back to childhood. It always reminds me of coming home from school and me Mam  up to her oxters in clothes waiting to be ironed..

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I had an interesting bit of Kismet today.   I was in the studio control room with our engineer, and this very topic came up.  He had a book called "Acoustics and Psychoacoustics" which went into the gory details of how your brain hears sound, how sound can be shaped and manipulated to evoke emotion, and some of the ways that gets done.

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustics-Psychoa … 0240516095

It was waaaaaya over my head, but there it is if anyone is interested in reading it.

So, apparently people *doo* know how that works.

Hey this is great!  Thanks, folks, for your info, especially Jerome.oneil.  I'm going to see if I can find that book at the library.

Beginner guitar player, 42, been playing a little over a year.  I'm the singer in a little garage band and I'm trying to hone my guitar skills so I can play and sing as well.  I'm also lefty, with 2 electrics and 1 accoustic.

Teebird wrote:

Hey this is great!  Thanks, folks, for your info, especially Jerome.oneil.  I'm going to see if I can find that book at the library.

I only flipped through it before I made a determination that much smarter people than I wrote it, but if you can get the gist of it, please please please come back and give us a layman's explanation of it.

I will do that, Jerome.  Thanks again for the info.  I'm interested in reading a book like that.  Who knows?  Maybe it's way over my head too but I'll definitely try to check it out if I can.  I'm sure I'll get something out of it.

12 (edited by stevie ray 'n carnated 2009-01-31 03:51:32)

When I make a song or a riff, I first record it, listen to it and then I name it after the way it makes me feel or what it reminds me of.

One song, called 'aint gonna work today' is a great tune for hanging around, doing nothing, calling in sick at work...

check it... www.myspace.com/rustycooly

I enjoy writing music and I have noticed that my dog reacts differently to different songs that I play. And it also reacts the same to each song every time I play them.

LukeCash wrote:

I enjoy writing music and I have noticed that my dog reacts differently to different songs that I play. And it also reacts the same to each song every time I play them.

That's really interesting.  I'd like to see some research done into that field if there hasn't been already.

I knew the latest band I joined was going to be successful when I saw audience members doing what I call "the snakedance". they would gyrate in their seats - even while eating or talking to someone.
http://www.myspace.com/johnrenomusic
I sailed with a golden lab sea dog who loved my guitar playing (I'm sorry he died - he was my first doggie fan). He would snuggle up so close while I played, I could barely move my right arm.
He whined when my friend (his owner) tried his first "G" chord.
One night a school of dolphins hung around the beach at Pirate's Cove for six hours until the jam session was over.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

tubatooter1940 wrote:

I knew the latest band I joined was going to be successful when I saw audience members doing what I call "the snakedance". they would gyrate in their seats - even while eating or talking to someone.

We call that "the bob."  If we can get the entire bar doing the head bob, we figure we're in the pocket and grooving.