Topic: Boss micro BR recorder

I use the Boss micro recorder and I'm very happy with it, I can mix up to 16 tracks and then convert it to MP3 and download it on to my computer where I can make a CD of the recording.
As the Boss only cost £99 I wonder if I shoud consider getting a bigger recorder, would I benifit ?.
The one problem I do have with it is recording my voice, I got a Sure Mic, but now know that I need Phantom power ?.
Today I we try to use my amp as a line in to see if this will work.
Any advice wolud be welcome.
TonyBlue

man is the dream of the doliphin

Re: Boss micro BR recorder

Tony first let me wish you a happy new year, and I have several sure microphones they are dependable and will reproduce good quality sound reproduction if used correctly,most of the vocal effects in a boss go unused and an understanding of the importance of eq's to enhance your vocals could make your vocals stand out and sound better in addition to the use of panning tracks,effects like reverb,delay all add up to a better recording. A good quality microphone is desirable but unless you have the funds to purchase one you will have to make due with what you have, what you can try is send a mp3 of your vocal with a flat mix, no effects, set the eq's all to zero and the pan at zero to me or one of the producers listed on the topic "members willing to help" in this forum and let us tweak it and give you the results and information as to the settings used so you can do this for yourself in the future, you may be surprised at the results. If you use your amp you can go from your line out to your recorders mic or guitar input or use an adapter and go direct from your line out to your sound card on your computer the adapter is a 1/4 in female to a 1/8 in mono jack that plugs into your mic input in the back of your sound card you can get this adapter at radio shack for about $4.00 this adapter also enables you to go from your guitar to your computer direct bypassing both the amp and recorder to your music editing program (audacity reaper) if you need help with how to do this just ask smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

That is so very cool, thank you.
When I tell you that I don't understand most of what you have said, it will give you a clue as to how stupid I am.
First I am mainly a guitar player / song writer, I have no problems recording my guitars, so I do know about using the right imput and setting the volume levels.
I have tried the little on board mic that is built into the Boss, and at max power you can hear the words, it is just that sometime I really like the song I have writen and I would like to "show off".
Do you think a battery powered mic will give me what I want ?.
I have tried using my amp today but I got the same result, I used "line in" and I tried the "guitar" input, the mic works through the amp, so it all looks a problem with the Boss, or I am using the wrong mic.
regards and thanks TonyBlue

Tony first your not stupid smile everyone including myself has had to deal with new equipment and it just takes time to understand the directions it has nothing to do with stupidity just inexperience ok, I would recomend buying a microphone there are some bargins for under $30.00 and im sure one of the members can provide you with more info on that, by battery powered it sounds like a condenser mic I would shy away from them they are to easy to break if not handled properly. Now regarding the line in function on your amp, unless your useing the amp as a speaker for your recorder or another device thats fine but if you want to send the sound of the amp to your recorder you need a LINE OUT which means the amp is sending a signal from your mic or guitar to the recorder or pc a LINE IN recieves a signal and your amp speaker is the sounding device, try this Plug your guitar into your boss input channel and adjust the sending volume so the little red light dosent stay on steady (about half open or less) arm the track (press record and press record on the 1st track ) do not press "play" till your ready to record once the input volume is level (not distorting) press zero and when your ready press "play" the counter should be moving and just play your guitar when done press "stop" and "zero" this brings it back to the beginning and press play to hear what you recorded,if you want to add another track arm the second track by pressing record on the track and record next to the play button when your ready to add another track press "play" and the 1st track will play as you add the second and the third and so forth after you need to pan each track to a separate location so they wont sound distorted and mumbled but as I said earlier I would seek advise on an inexpensive microphone one of the members is bound to have some link to one you can afford that will do the job for you and if you have any questions please ask anytime and good luck smile

tony eaves wrote:

That is so very cool, thank you.
When I tell you that I don't understand most of what you have said, it will give you a clue as to how stupid I am.
First I am mainly a guitar player / song writer, I have no problems recording my guitars, so I do know about using the right imput and setting the volume levels.
I have tried the little on board mic that is built into the Boss, and at max power you can hear the words, it is just that sometime I really like the song I have writen and I would like to "show off".
Do you think a battery powered mic will give me what I want ?.
I have tried using my amp today but I got the same result, I used "line in" and I tried the "guitar" input, the mic works through the amp, so it all looks a problem with the Boss, or I am using the wrong mic.
regards and thanks TonyBlue

Once agian THANK YOU.  There is only thing, Boss says I need a condencer mic, so I will try this as you say I can get one around £30.  If this doesn't solve the problem I may return it back to Boss as it seems odd that I can work everything but the mic ?.
Maybe the mic is at fault.
Cheers TonyBlue

Tony I will read the FAQ on this boss 600 and the requirements I never have heard of a recording device that specifically requires a condenser mic to record let me check it out and get back to you later before you go spending money on something you may not need smile

Not the Boss 600, mine is the Boss Micro BR.
Cheers

oops  smile big difference I will get back to you smile

tony eaves wrote:

Not the Boss 600, mine is the Boss Micro BR.
Cheers

tony I googled the boss up and I read over the specifications and I didn't see any condenser microphone listed as a requirement to record vocals but being as it is a small unit I can understand why it all comes down to impedance and the word "condense" means to compact or make smaller,shorten etc..so it must have something to do with how much impedance this unit can handle, you must have received a operators or owners manual when you purchased it and it must have listed the required input limits on devices like microphones ( ohm.'s,impedance) I will see if I can find the manual and read up on it and then be able to give you more useful info on this smile

Sorry, I should have said at the start. it will not provide "Phantom Power".
I have the manual, if this makes sence to you.
Norminal imput level  line in mic jack -40dBu

Input impedance
ext mic plug in power = off ; 18k
ext mic plug in power = on ; 2.2k

It only say's to use "a plug in power condencer mic"

Thanks for your help, you have done more than enough, if this information will not clear my problem, just forget it you must have better things to do than to mess with me.
tonyblue

Tony if your amp has a external speaker output jack it may be possible to plug a guitar or microphone into your amp and send the signal via the speaker jack to your micro recorders input, that way you could record anything that plugs into your amp including a guitar,microphone, effects pedals ect.. dose your amp have a speaker jack in the rear or a line out? ps. I found this link it may be helpful smile
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetai … ductId=818
heres a video demo and there are links to other video demos smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZtcqOab_Lo

Hey Guys, I thought I'd chime in and see if I could help. I may be wrong on this but most condenser mics that I've seen do require "phantom power". I know the one riddler and I use has to have phantom power for it to work. It's worth checking into because these condenser mics are really good. But please check it out first to make sure I'm right on the phantom power issue before you drop any dead presidents on a phantom power box.

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

Scott this is the first mention of "phantom power" ive come across at first I thought it was a ac/dc power converter but I found a explaination on wiki and its still confusing,is this a power supply for the microphone to use instead of batteries? signed "confused in wisconsin" lol

fatstrings wrote:

Hey Guys, I thought I'd chime in and see if I could help. I may be wrong on this but most condenser mics that I've seen do require "phantom power". I know the one riddler and I use has to have phantom power for it to work. It's worth checking into because these condenser mics are really good. But please check it out first to make sure I'm right on the phantom power issue before you drop any dead presidents on a phantom power box.

this is the wiki explanation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power

yeah something like that Russell, these mics have to have power. Some interfaces, recorders, mixing boards have "phantom power" some don't. If whatever piece of equipment does not have phantom power, and you want to use a condenser mic you will need to find one of these boxes to power your mic. The one that came with my mic is just a box that plugs inline between the mic and the recorder, mixing board, PA, etc...And as far as I know the only purpose is to provide power to the mic. Perhaps someone with more experience would be able to explain better, I've only been using a cond. mic for about 6 mth so it's kinda new to me also.

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

Scott now that I think of it my br-8 has a rectangular shaped box with a chord running to the outlet and another to the recorder I wonder if this is a "phantom"setup of sorts hmmm..:)

Not real sure if that is phantom or not. Maybe Riddler can jump in hear and explain it a little better than I can. His interface has phantom power, so we can just plug the condenser mic directly into the interface and by pass the phantom box that came with the mic.

Hello Gang,

Sorry I didn't get in on this earlier... been busy.  Anyway you will find that most condenser microphones will need a "phantom power" source as they typically have an "active" element.  The first give-away that you might need a power supply for whatever microphone you have is the 3 pin XLR connector.  It is a common connector on microphones, but dynamic microphones do not require external power even though they might be so equipped.  Most devices that have XLR inputs (such as mixers) will have the phantom power supply integral, but there are exceptions so it is a good idea to read the specs on your device and see if it mentions the absence pr presence of it.

Should you find that the phantom power is not part of the package you have, a relatively low cost option is to get a small preamp that does.  I use an ART tube MP Studio preamp for those times that I need to bring out the serious microphones and it only retails around $30.00 on sale.  My mixer and PA  system already supply phantom power to all inputs so I have this small box for recording to the PC, or rehearsing/practice etc.  Microphones that do not use the phantom power are wired to disregard the power input, or you can add an XLR to 1/4 unbalanced TS adapter, and shoot directly in from that with whatever you use for your instrument cable.

Hope that helps?

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I have tried to record using my amps headphone output, did not work, volume far to low.  I should also say that the boss has a small integral mic and this also records to low.
I wonder if I am recording my guitars to loud.  The manual say's record at the highest level without the "over" sign lighting up, I have found that unless I use level 4 (halfway) the whole recording is to low.

I wonder just how far I throw this boss before buying somethig else ?

thanks to you all, you are really the best and most helpfull crowd that I have ever come across.
TonyBlue

Hi Russell and all of you that have helped me.

THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED.

I bought a battery powered condencer mic for £35 pluged it in and I now can fully hear how bad my voice is (but it sounds lovely to me).
I dout that I will ever reach your understanding of eletronics, but I will read this forum every day and try to offer any help that I can to the wonderful members of this site, I know how good it feels to have other trying to help.

A very big thank you to you all.

TonyBlue

tony glad you finely got it sorted out and it didn't cost an arm and a leg give us a shout when you have something we can listen to and good luck with it smile

tony eaves wrote:

Hi Russell and all of you that have helped me.

THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED.

I bought a battery powered condencer mic for £35 pluged it in and I now can fully hear how bad my voice is (but it sounds lovely to me).
I dout that I will ever reach your understanding of eletronics, but I will read this forum every day and try to offer any help that I can to the wonderful members of this site, I know how good it feels to have other trying to help.

A very big thank you to you all.

TonyBlue