Having you there next to me
Holding you as closes as I can

All I need is a bucket and a shovel
And I would build an island for you
All I need is a bucket and a shovel
And I would bring paradise to you.

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce

"What I want is songs that echo. The stuff we're doing now is like somebody's bedsheets; spread 'em out, soil 'em, ship 'em out to laundry, you know? But our songs...I want us to be able to fold ourselves up in them forever...understand?  Words and music."

Re: If I had a bucket and shovel

ahh theres a little parrot head in you nice poem, romantic islands no responsibilities, time to dig sand off the beach way to go smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Now I have to get the music.  I have the melody in my head and I can sing my song; I just don't know what chords or notes that I am singing

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce

"What I want is songs that echo. The stuff we're doing now is like somebody's bedsheets; spread 'em out, soil 'em, ship 'em out to laundry, you know? But our songs...I want us to be able to fold ourselves up in them forever...understand?  Words and music."

find a chord that feels comfortable for the highest and lowest notes in the melody you have in your head for the song your singing and that will generally be the key of the song,once you know what key its in go from there,find chords that sound good in that key for the melody your singing if you need technical help with how chords relate in any key just ask smile

resprod wrote:

Now I have to get the music.  I have the melody in my head and I can sing my song; I just don't know what chords or notes that I am singing

Thanks Russell.  That sounds like a great start to get me going.  Unfortunately will probably end up liking some crazy chords or barr chords which I haven't learned yet. :-)  But I suppose that gives me more encouragement to learn them

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce

Yes resprod you will (with practice) end up liking bar chords there essential to know if you want to express yourself musically otherwise your limited to open position chords or partial bar positions that leave a lot to be desired, it could help if you make sure your strings are the right height above the fretboard and that there not to heavy gauge(the strings) because it only makes it harder to play the bar chords that follow the melodies in your head smile

resprod wrote:

Thanks Russell.  That sounds like a great start to get me going.  Unfortunately will probably end up liking some crazy chords or barr chords which I haven't learned yet. :-)  But I suppose that gives me more encouragement to learn them

Good Sir ! I like it a lot.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thank you both.  Russel-this might actually need to move to another section but to respond to what you mentioned about the strings and the setup of the guitar.  I was talking to my dad, who plays also, about this same thing last night.  He said that it is mostly what feels write for you.  But for a beginner is there a setup that needs to be done.  Is it better to have a lower action because it is easier or a higher.  Strings?  I have not idea.  I just play what was on the guitar when I got it.

1991 Washburn D12CE/N
2006 Taylor 412ce