Topic: iTunes downloads - I'm too old fashioned

I recently got my first iPod. I bought a iPod touch for my oldest kid for Christmas and decided it was time for me to move into the 21st century, so I got one for myself also. It really is a very cool gadget and I love having the ability to carry thousands of songs in my pocket and hook it up to my car stereo without having to carry around a bunch of discs.

So, I have a 400+ CD library, plus several hundred vinyl albums (many of which I have copied to CD). I remember as a kid the thrill of buying a new LP, opening and reading the liner notes, looking at the photos, enjoying the album cover art, maybe even getting a poster. Although I embraced the change to digital and was one on the first amongst my crowd to purchase a CD player, I truly feel a bit of the art was lost when media changed from LP to CD.

So now I have burned / ripped (whatever you call it) many of my CD's to the iPod - that's great. I have also downloaded a few albums from iTunes and that's where my problem lies. I just can't seem to get used to paying $10 or $12 for a bunch of zeroes and ones sent to me over the internet. I'd much prefer to have something physical I can hold, touch and read. I do believe in supporting the artists, so I am not going to download songs illegally.

I'm probably one of the last generation who will stick to buying real CDs from retailers. That's cool. But kids these days will be missing out on some great artwork that was a fun part of collecting music in the past.

http://www.popphoto.com/americanphotofe … overs.html

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: iTunes downloads - I'm too old fashioned

hey topdown, I agree totally with you. I can't seem to grasp paying for music online and having nothing physical to hold. I guess I'm just old school. So I'll take my dinosaur and hide in my garage and listen to vinyl and 8-tracks.(Anybody have a matchbook?)

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

I know what you mean, topdown. I can remember sitting listening to a new LP for HOURS! Listening, looking at the artwork, reading the notes. HOURS! For one LP!

There are a few albums on iTunes that you have the option of also downloading the artwork and sleeve notes. The last one I got like this was by The Kooks. But, as I say, these are few and far between.

But maybe all is not lost.....

My daughter, who is 11, loves CDs and would MUCH MUCH rather go to a record store and buy a hard copy than the faceless digital spectre. If there are enough of her kind around, then maybe, just maybe, the album artwork will become a standard part of every download.

Or maybe I'm just old and incurably sentimental about these things....

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

buying songs off the net is a bit of a rip off really.
Like you said topdown, nothing to hold so the songs should be much much cheaper to download. Maybe they are? I dont know. I bought the Who's Faces dances on Itunes because I only have it on vinyl and I could not find it in any music shop. It cost £7 or thereabouts. I bet if a shop did have it, it would have been the same price or less.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

5 (edited by evsynator 2009-01-26 00:03:59)

upyerkilt wrote:

buying songs off the net is a bit of a rip off really.
Like you said topdown, nothing to hold so the songs should be much much cheaper to download. Maybe they are? I dont know. I bought the Who's Faces dances on Itunes because I only have it on vinyl and I could not find it in any music shop. It cost £7 or thereabouts. I bet if a shop did have it, it would have been the same price or less.

And it looks like I will be buying a Brian McNeill cd from  itunes too

Ken

nothing to hold and nothing to save for the future either.. even though at the time none of us thought that when we bought those original albums ( or singles ) on vinyl that they would be worth anything ... today its the record companys trying to catch up with us all realising there is a lot of stuff out their for free and they try every trick in the book - even selling you stuff you can lose in a bad download .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

My 8 gig iPod Nano comes with album artwork if it recognizes the CD...all of the songs online come with album artwork.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

06sc500 wrote:

My 8 gig iPod Nano comes with album artwork if it recognizes the CD...all of the songs online come with album artwork.

Yea 06 - you're right. My iPod touch has artwork, and the ability to flip through the the album covers is pretty cool. You just can't compare the 1" square photo on the iPod, or even the 3" cover on a CD to what we used get in full size vinyl albums.

And the joy of cleaning out the seeds on a double LP! Another thing this generation will never appreciate wink

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

well i agree with topdown. if there is a band i like i will buy a cd. if its just one song thats popular for a few weeks then i may buy it online.

The problem with the world is people having lack of commen sense...and warning labels. So if we remove warning labels the problem will fix itself.

topdown wrote:
06sc500 wrote:

Yea 06 - you're right. My iPod touch has artwork, and the ability to flip through the the album covers is pretty cool. You just can't compare the 1" square photo on the iPod, or even the 3" cover on a CD to what we used get in full size vinyl albums.

And the joy of cleaning out the seeds on a double LP! Another thing this generation will never appreciate wink

You ain't foolin' me, Topdown.  I'm an old fart, too.

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.