Topic: Recording programmes

Does anyone know what the best programme to use is?i have a old copy of cool edit pro vers.2 but cant record my guitar an playback what ive recorded to sing with.magix music maker can.any opinions on that?any other sugestions?

Re: Recording programmes

Hello Shaneluck and a big welcome to Chordie,regarding recording programs there are a couple of freeware music editing programs the two best are "Audacity and Reaper"Reaper is not totally free as they have a beg screen that comes on for a few seconds after 30 days and reminds you to give a little money to the designer (i see nothing wrong with this) and altho I have this program I would recomend two members Riddler and Fatstrings (Randy and Scott) to guide you on useing this software, my recomendation is the Audacity freeware program its user friendly and I have free video tutorials on how to use it available by clicking on the mediafire link at the bottom of this post and it will take you to a list of folders,choose "Audacity" and download numbers 1 thru four one at a time,these videos will show you what kind of chords you will need and how to get going recording and there free also so any questions feel free to ask smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

try changing your wave in and wave out settings in cool edit pro.

after clicking on these pics you will need to click on fullsize to see clearly
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/riddler1989/th_cool1.jpg

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/riddler1989/th_cool2.jpg

Technology has passed me up! My parents had some old cylinder type records,I  actually remember operating a Victrola with 78 rpm records,later 45rpm singles, 33 1/3 rpm albums,AM radio,  FM radio,8 track tapes, cassette tapes, Beta  VCR, VHS VCR,CDs and finally DVDs. After that I'm lost.
         Back to subject! I think I am understanding that, if I download something like Audacity and I have the cables to do so,I can hook my guitar (and or mike), or stereo to my computer and record to and from my computer. Is that correct?

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I just bought a little Fostex MR-8 mk II digital tracking recorder.  I'll use Reaper to do the editing and final mixdown, but overall, I like what it does.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

yes with Audacity you can with the right chords record to your computer you will need a "Y" adapter its a common chord sold in radio shack or any electronics department of most stores like walmart or target as far as hooking your stereo you can if it has left and right outs (rca jacks) and if it has left and right "ins" you can send the signal back thru your stereo speakers in addition if your stereo has a guitar input (1/4 in jack) you can record from your stereo to your computer useing the left and right "outs" I have 8 video tutorials on the link at the bottom of this post (mediafire) and there's a folder named "Audacity" if you click on it several folders will display I would recommend 1 thru 4 to get you started,just click on the number 1 folder and a download page will appear click "download and select "save" to a place where you can find it again like "my documents" just click on the video and follow the instructions and if you need any further help give a holler smile

deadstring wrote:

Technology has passed me up! My parents had some old cylinder type records,I  actually remember operating a Victrola with 78 rpm records,later 45rpm singles, 33 1/3 rpm albums,AM radio,  FM radio,8 track tapes, cassette tapes, Beta  VCR, VHS VCR,CDs and finally DVDs. After that I'm lost.
         Back to subject! I think I am understanding that, if I download something like Audacity and I have the cables to do so,I can hook my guitar (and or mike), or stereo to my computer and record to and from my computer. Is that correct?

Reaper is a great program and if you need any help with it riddler or scott can help huge smile

jerome.oneil wrote:

I just bought a little Fostex MR-8 mk II digital tracking recorder.  I'll use Reaper to do the editing and final mixdown, but overall, I like what it does.

Russell,
  Thanks for your reply and patients. I'm sure I will find the answer to this last question after doing the downloads  but you are so darn handy.Last Question (for now) is this. Could I record from the stereo to the computer by using the stereo headphone jack and the computer line in jack.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

The stereo headphone jack is an output source not input its for listening to music without useing the speakers, if you have left and right rca jack "ins" you could use a "Y" chord that has a 1/4 inch female plug that you plug your guitar or microphone into then you would need another "Y"chord that has a 1/8 inch mono plug on one end and 2 rca jacks on the other end this plug would go to your left and right "outs" on your stereo to the back of your computers soundcard microphone input, and the stereo would act as a power source with volume,bass and treble control smile

deadstring wrote:

Russell,
  Thanks for your reply and patients. I'm sure I will find the answer to this last question after doing the downloads  but you are so darn handy.Last Question (for now) is this. Could I record from the stereo to the computer by using the stereo headphone jack and the computer line in jack.

Russell_Harding wrote:

The stereo headphone jack is an output source not input its for listening to music without useing the speakers, if you have left and right rca jack "ins" you could use a "Y" chord that has a 1/4 inch female plug that you plug your guitar or microphone into then you would need another "Y"chord that has a 1/8 inch mono plug on one end and 2 rca jacks on the other end this plug would go to your left and right "outs" on your stereo to the back of your computers soundcard microphone input, and the stereo would act as a power source with volume,bass and treble control smile

deadstring wrote:

Russell,

I realize the headphone jack is an output. Not to worry! My first Audacity download is 98% complete. Thanks again Russell.

your very welcome and good luck and if you have any problems im here for ya smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

your very welcome and good luck and if you have any problems im here for ya smile

Russell,
  I'm up and  running! I have made a few trial MP3s from some cassette tapes and they sound good. Thanks once again for all the effort you put forward to help folks.  AL

wow thats good news smile did you manage to hook the microphone and guitar up yet? let us all know when you have something we can give a listen to and keep at it smile

deadstring wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Russell,
  I'm up and  running! I have made a few trial MP3s from some cassette tapes and they sound good. Thanks once again for all the effort you put forward to help folks.  AL

Actually I have. I borrowed the sound hole pickup from church guitar just to try it out. Played it and mike through my karaoke machine with a little echo. Sounded cool. Got to get me a pickup. I'll have to get more comfortable with it and learn how to share a sample.

Audacity can make your song into an mp3 and it can be uploaded or emailed all of the instructions are in the videos and a karaoke machine can be used as a source for a mixer that you can plug an electric guitar into or a microphone and with the right adapter into your pc,you can also get a myspace artist or band account free and upload your songs there if you wish smile

deadstring wrote:

Actually I have. I borrowed the sound hole pickup from church guitar just to try it out. Played it and mike through my karaoke machine with a little echo. Sounded cool. Got to get me a pickup. I'll have to get more comfortable with it and learn how to share a sample.

Hey Russell Harding!
I have been using the chordie for a long time to find music but this is a first talking to any body on here.
I have been using Audacity to help me record song that I write.  It's hard to remember the melody sometimes when I am making up a song.  Audacity is a big help in that.
It is certainly better than our  video camera.
I can't get use to the sound of my own voice, it sound so much higher pitched that what I hear.
How close do you think audacity is to true sound?
mjjjane

Hi mjjane and welcome officially to Chordie I use my video cam when i'm jamming in the park or sometimes at home it comes in handy because it records visually what you play so you can remember the "feel" like strum pattern or chord position its a handy little tool.Audacity or any audio program is limited by how much knowledge or experience the user has and what you hear on the playback is what you sound like to others and it will always sound a little strange to you till you feel comfortable with the sound of your voice but what you hear is your true voice smile

18 (edited by deadstring 2009-02-28 04:19:18)

Russell, (or anyone  willing)

Can you give me some advice on making individual tracks while recording from albums or do you just have to record one song and then change it to MP3 and start on the next one? Thanks in advance. AL

ON edit. I had posted a problem I was having with Lame but I found a download with the correct file and it is working now.

hi deadstring if the song from the album is not divided into separate tracks then you have to make a individual mp3 for each song so the answer is yes you have to make them one at a time smile

deadstring wrote:

Russell, (or anyone  willing)

Can you give me some advice on making individual tracks while recording from albums or do you just have to record one song and then change it to MP3 and start on the next one? Thanks in advance. AL

ON edit. I had posted a problem I was having with Lame but I found a download with the correct file and it is working now.

Russell the albums do have silent spaces in between each song but I didn't know if it would be recognized as separate tracks or one long MP3. In other words, If I recorded one side of a 33 1/3 album all at once, after I burn it to a disk would it show up as 1 track or several? And by the way, is it legal to back up my old music collection to discs?

Hi Deadstring,

If you record and album as one track it will remain one track and will not recognise the silences between tham. I believe that there is software that can then break into the the individual tracks but I have tried it as I always record seperate tracks and then compile them to a CD.

I have copied my favourite albums to CD as I understand that this is perfectly legal, as long as it is for personal use only and that you do have the original.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hi Deadstring,

If you record and album as one track it will remain one track and will not recognize the silences between tham. I believe that there is software that can then break into the the individual tracks but I have tried it as I always record separate tracks and then compile them to a CD.

I have copied my favourite albums to CD as I understand that this is perfectly legal, as long as it is for personal use only and that you do have the original.

Roger

Thanks Roger!  Since I will be choosing the songs I really like from each of my albums and recording them, I should have plenty  of places (and little reason) to skip to and from. At least it will all be music I like. Thanks again. AL

deadstring all you have to do is hit the red button on audacity and stop the recording then convert it to mp3 and cue up the next song you will have to make a individual mp3 for each song if you just let the album play whats going to happen is it will take an eternity for audacity to mix and render all these songs to 1 mp3 so you will be required to close and open audacity for each song and after you have all the songs as individual mp3's use your media player to assemble a list and burn the list to a CD,that simple smile

deadstring wrote:

Russell the albums do have silent spaces in between each song but I didn't know if it would be recognized as separate tracks or one long MP3. In other words, If I recorded one side of a 33 1/3 album all at once, after I burn it to a disk would it show up as 1 track or several? And by the way, is it legal to back up my old music collection to discs?

Russell_Harding wrote:

deadstring all you have to do is hit the red button on audacity and stop the recording then convert it to mp3 and cue up the next song you will have to make a individual mp3 for each song if you just let the album play whats going to happen is it will take an eternity for audacity to mix and render all these songs to 1 mp3 so you will be required to close and open audacity for each song and after you have all the songs as individual mp3's use your media player to assemble a list and burn the list to a CD,that simple smile

deadstring wrote:

I was afraid of that Russell. By the  way, I just enjoyed my morning coffee checking out your website. I think I'm in love with Lady O Donavon. Seriously, I enjoyed your site and want to check some of the other member's stuff as time permits.

Thank you for the nice words deadstring and the "lady O'Donovan" is some gal to be sure lol but I composed the song for Helena O'Donovan we call her "Old Doll" on Chordie she is from Dublin Ireland and a good friend to everyone on Chordie,putting together a CD is not that much of a hassle,yes it will take a little time but you will benefit from the experience and get to know your way around the audacity program and have a  good CD to boot.Another thing is if you have a program like Nero it will take all the songs and mix the volumes equal and separate them by two seconds between songs I think windows media player will do a good job also so my advice is take the time to do this you will be glad you did smile