Topic: Bed time stories

WHY?
I would love to hear what your father and mother told you when they put you as little kiddies" in bed.
So it is very easy, in my case not except if you all understand flemish or dutch.
1) BED TIME STORIES
2) THE TYPICAL KID STORIES.

I cannot participate here myself, because I can't translate the stories my mum, even my great mother used to tell.
My "grannie" which I really loved so much, I was her doc too, had a lot of oneliners.
- you need to put a sorry's in a bag before it is full.
- All children are beautiful when they are born, every groom is bad when married, and a person is always good when he's dead. (it is a lousy translation), so I NEED to know your bed time "tales" or what you say or sing when you put your kids in bed.
PLEASE HELP ME. I believe it is a quit relaxing and funny topic, bringing back "old memories."

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Bed time stories

Typical kid stories? hahaha well when i was REAllY little like 5 and so my mom told me stories of my favorite disney charachters and ponies and little girlly stuff...but as i grew they sorty started reading 2 me and eventually i didnt need it anymore. but i really never got "typical" bedtime stories cause tey read me boks or we joked about the day...hahhahahahahalol good times good times......but ya, i really dont remeber most cause they were really random >.< hahahaha

{{***~MuZiK LuVeR~***}}

I was thinking Lieven this might be better in the chat corner as you are not asking for any poems nor did you post one yourself. I will leave it up to you to think if you should move it or not.

But my gran used to say a lot to me

" sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite"

Like yea garn I am really going to sleep now thinking I have beasites crawling everywhere going to bite me.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I share your opinion, I was planning to post it there, but the reason I didn't was that my mum used to sing songs, and telling/ rhyming short stories.
Since it is impossible to translate I'll try to give an example, straight from some movies.
Bed poetry for children, as written here SOURCE: unknown, has to be real old.
Father, Mother, God; loving me
Guard me while I sleep
Guide my little feet up to Thee
Amen
THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF THE "STUFF" I WANTED TO HEAR, AND THE REASON WHY IT ISN'T POSTED IN THE CHAT CORNER.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

ah then that makes a lot of sense now Lieven.
sorry

Ken

upyerkilt wrote:

But my gran used to say a lot to me

" sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite"

My father said this too but he added the line "but if they do bite, bite the blighters back" and I have said the same to my children and grandchildren.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

my mother used to sing me songs as a rule;
"tell me a story" or "chip chip my little horse" or "horsey horsey, dont you stop" etc i sang them to my kids and now to my grand children

i probably got my love of singing and music from my mother, cant blame my dad for that as he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, i got my love of DIY from him

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

My Dad used to sing this to me when I was little guy just before bedtime,
" Hush little baby don't you cry, 'cause cryin' is for sissys...."

Give everything but up.

lol  lol

cracker!!! lol

I remember ( although not a poem) me getting instructed by my wife to tell my son a bed time story for bedtime as it helped him get to sleep. I always thought this was nonesense, maybe because I was never told a bed time story or none that I can rememeber.
So there I was onr night with my boy when he was about 2 years old. I thin kit started and ended something like this......
Once uopn a time there lived three bears in the woods. one day they went for a walk BANG BANG BANG< they were dead and the hunter took their house, the end, goodnight son.

My wife was not too amused but in my defence there was something really good on tv. lol

Aah,

" sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite".

We added "If they bite, squeeze 'em tight, they won't be back tomorrow night." From the days when kids would sleep five to a bed, I presume.

Telling kids bedtime stories was one of my great joys. One year we had a series of  head melting stories starring Dorothy, Toto, Scooby Doo and Shaggy, and a seriously strange egyptian mummy called Timbo. The baddies of course were the witches. I remember one story ended at the mummy olympics when the mummies took their heads off and used them as bowls in ten pin bowling.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

There are a lot of bedtime stories, about Jesus, The bogeyman, you can hear it quit often in movies, and also what people (a lot more in the USA then in Europe = a tradition that disappears) say when the family is all together: "say grace", but I can't remember me at all a complete "say grace".
For me it is as a picture of a little girl who has to "thank Jesus", like Dear Jesus we thank you for the food.......??????????????????? I just found a nice one.
Thank you Lord for what we've had
If there had of been more we would have been glad
But as we've had enough, we won't be sad

Bedtime story, only 1 strophe
I have a Friend, a Friend, so very Dear,
Jesus, you always wipe away my tears,
In life you teach me to walk the right pathways,
In trials Jesus never let me go astray.
THIS IS A REAL SWEET STORY AND BECAUSE IT IS A REAL US TRADITION, SLOWLY DISAPPEARING IN EUROPE = the reason of this very nice and sweet thread.
Or the "bogeyman stories parents tell sometimes.
If you read what fairytales are about, they can be really cruel. See a lot of tales by the Grimm brothers.
Even the Bible, in particular the old testament, it is really horror to me. Like ABRAHAM who heard the voice of God to sacrifice his only son, only seconds away before the burning bush (no NOT him!!) starts to talk and tells that this was a test. Sorry, but this is really a cruel story WITHOUT FINDING SYMBOLS, OR RELIGION-RELATED explication.
This thread goes well as I can see, make it bigger, I think this is a very nice topic.

Why are all these people so old? like 300 years and more, PROBABLY because there were no MEDICAL DOCTORS I THINK.

tonight when you lay down your head
upon your pillow in a comfy bed
think of the day that has just passed
and how it went a bit too fast
tomorrow can be just as fun
so go to sleep and let it come
dream nice dreams and smile in your sleep
those are memories for you to keep
and when you awaken and lift up your head
it's time to get up and make your bed
tomorrow will be another day
for you to run about and play
but until then you rest down here
you're safe and sound, no need to fear
goodnight little one I will now leave the room
I can see you are tired, you will sleep soon
goodnight

The phrase written by Southpaw: " Hush little baby don't you cry, 'cause cryin' is for sissys...."
I mean the first part isn't it a part of the Pink Floyd song "MOTHER"?
I adore these stories.

Visit this dwelling, Lord, we beg You
And drive from it all the snares of the Evil One;
May Your holy angels dwell here to guard us in peace,
And may Your blessing remain with us always
Through Christ, our Lord
AMEN

Get your slide and let's get it on!