Re: HOW DID YOU START TO LEARN PLAYING GUITAR?

End of 2007, when I was 35, hubby bought me an entry-level electric Gretsch.  I always wanted to play since I was a kid.  I had tons of musical background, but had not really touched a guitar.  Gretsch became too wide for my small body to manage and trying to learn on my own.  So, friend of mine that has like 50 electric guitars provided me with a 2006 American Stratocaster "loaner" of his.  I played around, but started lessons in March 2008 and still continue.  I got through the first 3 Hal Leonard books pretty quickly. Now teacher is showing me songs more and I love it.  I'm working on learning how to play informally versus the sheet music...I could always read music, but I wanted to be able to learn impromtu songs, so it's perfect for me to learn that way too.  I am doing a self-directed study in the Blues on my own via sheet music and a book.  But, I'm having teacher show me how to play the punk rock and other rock songs I enjoy smile

Yep, I'm a late bloomer big_smile

Lucky gal Ruby. Most of us are too wide for our small guitars!:)

But, here's the secret about the guitar: It's defiant. It will never let you conquer it. The more that you get involved with it, the more you realize how little you know.
                 Les Paul  March 2007

i know im late to the subject but i wanted to play since i was a kid a great guitar allways stired somthing in me i started a little over 1 year ago a friend sold me a gibson and a small amp for $100 and showed me a easy riff and ive been hooked from there im no good at it but i try hard and have fun with it i still cant play a whole song lol