Re: What was your first song?

Hey out there..It's my first post on my first day here. I just finished reading about everyone's first songs and related stories and knew I was gonna like it here. My own was "When i'm sixty four" by The Fab Four.

Loved the quotes and will be stealing them on a regular basis.
Space monkeys are always good news...can't wait to use it!

My first song that I learned to play was Paradise by John Prine, although it's my version of his song, hope that counts.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

cameronkl7 wrote:

My first song that I learned to play was Paradise by John Prine, although it's my version of his song, hope that counts.

Cam

totally counts, John Prine is the man. I know alot of his songs but there all my own versions

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Welcome Andy2691.  Glad you like the monkey quote.  At my house, "monkeys" is an appropriate response to just about any question to which someone does not know the answer.  So, I was watching King of the Hill and Bill was teaching Bobby how to barbeque.  Bill said that his family had a tradition of only lighting the fire with a page from the newspaper that contained good news.  Bobby saw something about a monkey being sent to the space station or some such and Bill says "Space monkeys are always good news."  Now, it was just not possible that I could hear a line like "Space monkeys are always good news" and not do something with it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sloop John B by the Kingston Trio

Zurf.

Thanks for your warm welcome and the story that started it all. Haven't caught that episode but will be looking out for it. It's always running in Toronto on one station or another.

Andy

Does it matter if it soundet like hell ? smile

58 (edited by Zurf 2009-04-02 20:15:23)

chewbacca wrote:

Does it matter if it sounded like (unpleasantly warm environment of a perpectual nature) ? smile

Shoot no!  That's expected.   You can add my second through 54th song into that category.  If I do 54 songs.  Probably don't.  Never counted.  Only have about five memorized. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

Only have about five memorized.

Only five Zurf, ave never got round to one yet, I must make more of an effort.
I made a little 8inch x 5inch booklet which i retype in the words and chords to song i like to play , i am hoping later i'll just use it for reference.

Cheer micky  smile

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

The first was blowing in the wind.

my first song was mari mac or mary mack. i had my sister in law teach me the 2 chords Em and D while we we're drinking grand marnier by the bucket last thanksgiving. now i can't put the guitar down anymore. i take it everywhere. its a sickness!!!
peace out all

So long ago..............

I went for classical guitar lessons so it was something out of a book by Sophocles Papas possibly Three Little Indians or some other embarrassing choon.

Then, when I was 13 or 14 I bought the Back in Black songbook by those electrical Aussies.... or was it House of the Rising Sun?

I really can't remember!

The first choon I learned when I thought I was beginning to get somewhere was Ascending and Descending a Spiral Staircase by the Rev Gary Davis in about 1990.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

63 (edited by crowellb 2009-04-21 00:11:30)

I learned to play while I was working at a Lutheran camp out in the Black Hills so my very first song was "Humble Thyself". My first non-camp/praise song was "Wolves" by Garth Brooks...then I saw the light and realized that country stinks and my first rock song was "Be Like That" by 3 Doors Down.

Is it wrong to have 3 firsts?

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

crowellb wrote:

I learned to play while I was working at a Lutheran camp out in the Black Hills so my very first song was "Humble Thyself". My first non-camp/praise song was "Wolves" by Garth Brooks...then I saw the light and realized that country stinks and my first rock song was "Be Like That" by 3 Doors Down.

Is it wrong to have 3 firsts?

No, I have 3 myself actually.  Besides, "Early Morning rain" and "House of the rising sun", the thrid was "Wendigo" as sung by Mary McCaslin, written by Dwayne Storey.  Neither one of which I have found any info about the internet....the song AND Dwayne Storey.  Mary McCaslin does have her own website.  Which has nothing about the song "Wendigo". 

Which is very frustrating to me, since it is such a favorite for me.  I wound up writing the words down from the record and playing said record for my teacher and breaking it down from there.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

"House of the Rising Sun" was the first of many 60's ballads I learned to play on my Zody's special guitar when I was in the eighth grade. I still play those 60's ballads and "House" was the first song I played on my brand new Martin D-35 (just purchased) so I could hear the deep bass and full mid tones. What a Gas!

"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind Horse" - Rod Stewart

First song i learned to play was 'Wish you were here' by Pink Floyd and still play it now ! Usually my finishing song when i play anywhere, always goes down well ! Simple and beautiful sounding !

67 (edited by gdgibson 2009-04-28 05:28:09)

"Driver 8" by R.E.M.

It was the "Smoke on the Water" of my generation. The bonus was that it has a fairly easy riff at the start. The drawback was that I think everyone cheated on the transition from G to Em at the end of the verse. I know I did. Still do.

Mine was Folsom Prison Blues I reckon, hard to be really sure now... err ..what was the question again? smile

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

the one i love by R.E.M.

Hi all What comes to mind first as first songs are "House of the Rising Sun" by EB and the Animals and "Hey Joe" by Jimi Hendricks.

71 (edited by zguitar 2009-06-30 02:23:01)

Hi Chordians,

I think mine was Stand By Me or Free Fallin'.

Easy peasy Japanesy. Sort of.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

First song, badly strummed all the way through was Back When - Tim McGraw....lol I was sooooooo happy I finally played a whole song...haha. PLEASE beginners....keep at it, if I can do it anyone can smile.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

Treehugger by Kimya Dawson... she has the easiest songs in the world to begin with and some of the cutest lyrics

Well, after three years of playing (or two and a half or something like that), I'm trying to learn my first cover cover.  I play all songs by other people, but I don't "Cover" them in that I don't play them anything like the original artists.  That's not entirely true.  I play the right lick on the transition from a capelo to accompaniment on *Seven Bridges Road*, and I did my best to learn the intro riffs and rhythms on Kenny Chesney's *Don't Blink*.  But the first song I'm learning that is a complete cover - trying to mimic the original artist - is *Rocky Mountain High*, and I am learning that I have got a LOOOOOONG way to go to develop left hand finger strength and speed.  I'm going to get an exerciser because the pinky just can't do the hammer-ons that are necessary for that song, and to use the ring finger is possible but it messes up the placement for the next chords.  *Rocky Mountain High* is also my first drop D tuning song.

- Zurf

Why not...first message about the first song I ever learned.  Hey Jude.  1968.  13 years old.  And I haven't learned to play much better since.

Little Red Riding Hood, Rising Sun, all of the Creedence songbook, and then Eagles.

Those were some good days for guitar fans.