1 (edited by KAP54 2009-03-05 23:41:22)

Topic: Freedom Blues

I wrote this today after hearing earlier that 3 more Canadians died in Afghanistan. On the weekend I watched a film called "Taking Chance" a true story about a soldier being brought home to be buried. An emotional story that I would suggest all see if they can. Also in the US they are trying to pass a law to show the dignity to fallen soldiers and there family(if they wish) on their final return home (Kudos). In Canada we have a 170 kilometer stretch of the 401 called the Highway of Heroes. It is not uncommon to see the vehicles stopped on overpasses and along the road to show their respect as the soldier is returned home. A few years back in my home town of London a soldier was returned to be buried. He lived in my end of town.As a show of respect to the soldier and family, yellow ribbons were tied to just about every tree along the roads, for an area of about 1 square mile. We are known as the Forest City and I was very proud driving through all the neighborhoods seeing the thousands of ribbons.
This is not a protest song but a song reminding me to not take for granted the freedoms I enjoy and at what cost I (we) have achieved them.
If you are anti-war please don't respond to this with anti-war remarks.That's not what the song is about.

Done in a Dylan style with lots of harp in the breaks

Thanks
Enjoy and ponder the true message.

Freedom Bluesby Ken Peters March 05 2009

The [D]sun shone warm on the [G]sky so [D]blue.

[D]Clouds floated high in the [G]after[D]noon.

[G]Living safe with[D]out a care, and [A]then I heard the [Bm]newsman share.

[D]Three more [A]brave souls [G]paid their [D]highest [A]dues.

[D]Heavy [A]hearts now [G]sing the [A]Freedom [D]Blues.

The [D]three young men hoped [G]not to [D]die.

But [D]destiny had [G]crossed the [D]line.

[G]Dreams of getting [D]home at best, [A]sadly now are [Bm]laid to rest.

[D]Carried [A]on the [G]shoulders [D]of a [A]few.

[D]Heavy [A]hearts now [G]sing the [A]Freedom [D]Blues.

[G]Yellow ribbons [D]in a bow,

[A]Bind the trees for [D]miles.

[G]Simple folks line [D]in the streets,

To [A]share a tearful [A7]smile.

[D]Mommas gaze has [G]lost its [D]prime.

[D]Numb to sorrow, [G]lost in [D]time.

[G]Daddy holds his [D]head up high,his [A]knees are week he [Bm]starts to cry.

[D]Angry [A]at the [G]laurels [D]of the [A]few.

[D]Heavy [A]hearts now [G]weep the [A]Freedom [D]Blues.

The [D]fight for freedom [G]soldiers [D]bare.

The [D]dice gets rolled, the [G]burdens [D]shared.

The [G]price for freedom [D]comes to light, [A]flag draped caskets, [Bm]somber flights.

The [D]digni[A]ty of [G]war is [D]on the [A]news.

[D]Heavy [A]hearts now [G]cry the [A]Freedom [D]Blues.

[G]Yellow ribbons [D]in a bow,

[A]Bind the streets for [D]miles.

[G]Simple folks line [D]in the streets,

To [A]share a tearful [A7]smile.

The [D]sun shone warm on a [G]sky so [D]blue.

[D]Clouds floated high in the [G]after[D]noon.

[G]Emotions drowned out [D]in the flood, [A]of another [Bm]young mans blood.

[D]Freedom [A]paid for [G]by the [D]chosen [A]few.

[D]In my [A]heart I [G]cry the [A]Freedom [D]Blues.

Harmonica

[G] [D][A][Bm]

[D]Freedom [A]paid for [G]by the [D]chosen [A]few.

[D]In my [A]heart I [G]cry the [A]Freedom [D]Blues.

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Re: Freedom Blues

Hey Ken - Very good song. It is so sad that so many have to loose their life like this. I hope and pray that one day people will understand killing one another doesn't help to solve all the problems. I gave the song a try and I think I get the general idea of how it goes but I need to hear it to get it clear. Very good song though.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Like the lyrics here. Hope that what we hear from the politicians turns out to be true and everyone gets to come home.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

hi kenny a lovely song for the ones who lose their lives trying to make the world a better place ,well done....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hey Kenny
You come up with some great lyrics..
Afghanistan is like a slowly haemorrhaging wound for our countries. I hope all the deaths are worth the final outcome.
All the soldiers are heros in my book..
Ark

Hi Ark,
Soldiers fighting and dying for what is right in this world is very sad but I also feel pride and honor for them when I hear of their sacrifices. Heroes for sure. I also hope it is worth it.
Thanks
Kenny

Thanks Daddy,
Imagine what the world would be like if no one would stand up and fight for what is right. It would be a much different world I'm afraid.
Thanks
Kenny

Hi Alan,
It would be sweet indeed if our/your/all, military could come home. We have to start somewhere. Hopefully the powers that be are on the right track.
Thanks
Kenny

Hi Jeff,
I hope and pray the same but I don't know if it will ever happen. I fear that we will have fallen heroes amongst us for a long time coming. The BR600 still has got the better of me so maybe I will go the Audacity route and post it at Myspace. Maybe that will be the kick I need to get at'er.
Thanks Again
Kenny

PS The movie "Taking Chance" is about Kevin Bacons character bringing the body home and the characters he meets along the way,his emotional outlook and of those around him.
Good movie if you like tear jerkers.

Thanks Again

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Great song Ken,

about  the waste  and sadness of good lives lost.. When we we as humans ever learn ?

Killing  doesnt solve a thing..
Your on the ball my friend..

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

hi kenny,

felt weepy reading your comment before reading your words, so you can imagine the burning sensation in my eyes while going through the song...strong words written tenderly and powerfully...god bless our hero's one and all

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Talking about coming home -

Two young kids about to be shipped out to Afghanistan just got shot dead yesterday in Antrim, Northern Ireland because they had joined the british army, by people calling themselves the Real IRA - even the old IRA is against them. They also managed to critically wound two pizza delivery guys at the same time.

When will some people understand that killing doesn't work !!!!!!!

10 (edited by selso 2009-03-09 00:52:26)

two of my brothers are over there. thanks , man. thats all I can say at this point

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

And may they return to live in peace, raise families and live long, fulfilling lives/

thank you sir

Reverend Horton Heat

13 (edited by KAP54 2009-03-09 02:23:58)

Thanks Phill

Watching movies as a young child with the heroes not going home has always put a big lump in my throat. As an adult, seeing and hearing the realities of war and the pride I feel for those who have fought and are fighting for what is right is an emotion that comes from the heart.
God Speed To All.
As I typed this I heard another Canadian has fallen.
Kenny

Hi Alan,

I have just read about what had happened in Antrim and am shocked by this. The article says that the gunmen walked up to the soldiers after the initial shots and fired more point blank shots.
I pray that this act of cowardice does not start more violence. It was good to hear that the old IRA was against this. My heart goes out to the families.

Kenny

Selso

I will second Alans words . Although I do not know anyone serving overseas personally, I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you.
Keep the Faith
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

and you keep on keeping on, Beutiful song for some one who doesnt even know anyone over there. How do you have such good insight?

Reverend Horton Heat

Thanks selso for your kind words. smile

Insight for me comes from a lot of hard knocks along the way I guess, and luckily not letting life make me forget where my roots lay.

Peace to You and Yours

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

16 (edited by selso 2009-03-09 02:25:26)

Insight for me comes from a lot of hard knocks along the way I guess, and luckily not letting life make me forget where my roots lay.

Peace to You and Yours

true is that, my friend
peace to yours as well

Reverend Horton Heat

...pulls on my heart  ...puts a lump in my throat

Embrace what you love.
Start with you.
Do the next right thing.

Thanks unhhuh. I have to kick myself on this one. lol I wrote the lyrics and tune in my car while working and for the life of me when I got home I couldn't remember how the tune went and still can't. Doh!!!  I'm gonna buy a portable recorder so it doesn't happen again and in the meantime try and remember the melody.

Doh!!!

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Howsabout that recording.... hope to hear it soon,

Unh Huh

Embrace what you love.
Start with you.
Do the next right thing.