Topic: ODE TO ANIMALS

March 19, 2009                                           ODE TO ANIMALS

To the beast of burden that toil in the fields encased in a yoke there fate is sealed,they toil by day and into the night prodded by whips they put up no fight.
at the end of there days when strength they have none there served on a plate with rice and a bun, there carcase is fashioned into covers and chairs, there hooves are ground up to sell at the fair.

O noble equine how swiftly you run free on the planes with the wind and the sun,your captured and tamed and no longer free to race with the bison on the painted prairie
The budweiser name you wear on your neck, pulling a wagon on a never ending trek,and your final reward is a bottle of glue or Taco Bell or some other dog food.

The generous cow you give us your milk, we make cheese and dunk cookies in udders of silk and when you cease to stand or produce, we stun you and carve up and scarf up your juice.

O beloved turkey where would we be if you weren't so stupid and so good to eat,your giblets your legs your breasts and your beak yum yum we love you,you carnivore treat.

Last but not least the hens in the roost, those embryos you lay I like them with toast,at the end of your days we chop off your head, dunk you in boiled water your feathers are rent, then onto the grill with some BBQ sauce with corn on the cob and a salad we toss,yes here's to our friends who give all they got there loyal but yummy and sure hit the spot. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: ODE TO ANIMALS

Im glad this is the first day of spring...Russel! Get out of the house ,lad.  You're becoming the Great Poe. Quoth the Raven ,"Never more."  Actually , I liked your poem. Reminds me of one i did about Tree Huggers...marcalan

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

hey marc long time no hear how ya been? I read your "ain't no tree hugger" and from all the beautiful carvings Ive seen of yours its a good thing there a renewable source,actually I love to get out its just starting to warm up here in Wisconsin we had some brutal winter weather and I will be visiting my favorite spot a picnic bench overlooking our harbor in Port Washington,its a beautiful spot I bring a lunch and I open my guitar case and play a few tunes and make a few bucks,where I live there are so many great places to visit historic landmarks,parks,nature trails and lots of festivals in the summer including one you would like a art fair,all the local artist,carvers display there wares and there's food and music,folk singers even a group from south America.Port Washington is host to the largest fish and chips event in the world over a half million people gather for a one day event that is capped off by a unbelievable fireworks show with music. thanks for your comments on the ode and rest assure I'm not a couch potato I shall venture out of my humble dwelling and see the wondrous sites of nature,gaze at the stars in the evening hours away from the city lights and let my imagination wander smile

aw russel you old animal lover you...i'm still smiling, i laughed aloud thanks for that cos i've been very depressed lately...turkey "your stupid but tasty" i dare say there are some veggies out there who have wiped you off their christmas list

brill

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill glad it tickled the funny bone I was laughing as I was typing lol yes I wont be a favorite with the "veggies" but ya cant please everybody,the way I see it if animals werent meant to be consumed why did God make them so tasty smile

Phill Williams wrote:

aw russel you old animal lover you...i'm still smiling, i laughed aloud thanks for that cos i've been very depressed lately...turkey "your stupid but tasty" i dare say there are some veggies out there who have wiped you off their christmas list

brill

phill

Good stuff Russell.

Made me smile also.  It also made me hungry sir. Fresh corn on the cob BBQ ed. hmm delish.

Roll on summer.

Thanks Russell i enjoyed reading this piece.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

thank you my lady now off to sleep you have to work tomorrow smile

Old Doll wrote:

Good stuff Russell.

Made me smile also.  It also made me hungry sir. Fresh corn on the cob BBQ ed. hmm delish.

Roll on summer.

Thanks Russell i enjoyed reading this piece.

Old Doll.

Had to laugh at this one. Pretty funny, Russell. What brought this one on?

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Here's another reply to your Ode to Animals...it's called oh de animals

I had a little rabbit
She was such a pretty thing
She had big floppy ears
And her eyes were pretty pink

God was in his heaven
But a miracle he worked
`Cos I never saw the buck come round
But my rabbit she got...mated!

So not-so-long later
The stork came round to call
And left a basket full of bunnies
All white and fluffy they were all

Do I take them to the pet shop
Do I sell them on E-Bay?
Do I take them down to the canal
Weigh the bag down with a brick?

No, I was more enterprising
While I sat down for my meal
Rabbit stew is on the table
Bunny skins are on my feet.

Now wise men will always tell you
There's a meaning for every life
Rabbits go in stew
And stew goes in the wife.

Ahhhh, anyone for seconds?

Phill that borders on the macabe lol eating little bunnys, skinning them and making slippers jeez is that where welsh rabbit comes from? oh well they eat dogs in some parts of the far east so bunnys are hare game I guess lol (pun intended)

dont rightly know,it just crossed my mind thinking about what happens to animals when they no longer serve a usefull purpose alive smile

selso wrote:

Had to laugh at this one. Pretty funny, Russell. What brought this one on?

Jeez Phill, now I'm going to have to explain to the kids what "mated" means ; )

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Rabbits good eating

Phill Williams wrote:

Here's another reply to your Ode to Animals...it's called oh de animals

I had a little rabbit
She was such a pretty thing
She had big floppy ears
And her eyes were pretty pink

God was in his heaven
But a miracle he worked
`Cos I never saw the buck come round
But my rabbit she got...mated!

So not-so-long later
The stork came round to call
And left a basket full of bunnies
All white and fluffy they were all

Do I take them to the pet shop
Do I sell them on E-Bay?
Do I take them down to the canal
Weigh the bag down with a brick?

No, I was more enterprising
While I sat down for my meal
Rabbit stew is on the table
Bunny skins are on my feet.

Now wise men will always tell you
There's a meaning for every life
Rabbits go in stew
And stew goes in the wife.

Ahhhh, anyone for seconds?

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

"carve up and scarf up your juice..."

That's good stuff, literally and figuratively.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

lol sometimes the weirdest things cross your mind this was one of them glad ya liked it Jerome smile

Phil ?

How could you ? thoses lovely wee bunnies. My old Aunt always cooked rabbit stew. I used to cry rather then eat it.
I always had the  happy Easter bunny image in my head. lol

As this tread is about animals. heres one i did post a long time ago now.  Its my obsversation of some wood  wasps  in the roof of my garage. There fascinating to watch.

" A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO OUR WORLD OF NATURE"

I watch you work intensively.
But you are unaware of me,
I sit and watch with passing time
While you hone your skills and fine design.

You hover as you work midair
Buillding up your woody lair,
No rushing in your world it seems
A splendid palace for your Queen.

You Social creature with wings and legs
Making chambers for all her eggs,
By chewing wood into a pulp
Your Paper Tower will be a Trump!.

No Wall Street money needed here
No Instructions for your second floor,
No victims here of past, just " Present"
Exquisitively useing your intelligence.

We have lost, what you dont ponder
Your desire for the world and all its wonder,
Your home will always be the same
A beautiful Paper Pulp Domain..

Have a happy day chordies.

Old Doll.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Helena a very insightful look into the little creatures of nature I only wish it were not wasps I had a bad experience with a dwelling of those little demons it took several days for the swelling to go away smile

i just had a thought...if you accidentally aim your flame thrower at a rabbit, would it make him a hot cross bunny?

russ, i dont know what other welshmen do, but i cant eat rabbit, those poor little furry things...lol

helena, i've been stung many times, but i still love bees, and i wont kill one unless it is absolutely necessary...nice little poem though and well observed

oops, sorry alan, but i thought mated might be more PC than the other word.

phill