Topic: Strap for acoustic

<b></b>What's best? Installing a strap pin on the end of the guitar body near the neck or just looping something around the head near the nut. Either way it seems like I might damage my guitar.

I wish the pin had came installed, I sure don't like the thought of puting a screw into my guitar but I also shudder at the thought of wrapping a shoelace or something similar around the head.

Thanks, Randall

Re: Strap for acoustic

if you take it to a guitar shop theyl probably do it for you where its supposed to be and it would look much better plus if they brake or damage it in anyway its there responsibility then its would only cost you a few quid i had mine done when i bought it.

Royston

North Wales

I fitted a peg at the bottom of the neck, where you see them pre installed. It was easy, I just marked the location with a bradawl and then screwed the self tapper in.

It sure beats the shoe lace method. The guitar stays still where I found I was chasing it around when playing bar chords up and down the neck when the strap was anchored at the tuning peg end of the neck.

from some acoustics I have seen that thre owner has put on his own peg at the bottom of the neck, near the body for a strap to be attatched they have not had good ballance. When it is on and the strap is around you the guitar slides when let go.

So be careful where you put a peg.

I use a strap with the lace that gets tied at the top near the nutt or knut or however ye spell it.

I find that ok and it sits nice when the strap is on, a good ballance.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

The strap button when mounted by a manufacture is placed either on the heal or bottom of the heal of the neck.  Also on the left side of the neck. This is because on an acoustic you have a neck to heal joint where there is more wood to grab on to. If you choose to do this yourself drill a pilot hole (a hole slightly smaller than size of your screw) this way you lessen the chances of cracks.

As far as balance it would personal preference just like an electric (strap button) will be slightly higher on the left side of the body (right handed guitar).

Bootleger

Bootleger guitars.

I use Planet Wave's Quick Release. It loops and dovetails around the neck and the strap. No way will it come off.