Topic: I've finally found the guts to Youtube some songs.

Having only ever sung into a beer bottle after drinking the contents, I found the thought of posting a few videos a little daunting.  However I wanted to do it mainly to plot my progress and to get some feedback.

I've been playing 4 months and I think I'm doing ok but I'll let you lot be the judge of that, they both pretty spur of the moment recordings with no real rehersal for each song.  I can play about 25 songs to the same standard.

I have seen the rain - Pink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0NCWYmBZQ

Absolutely cracking tune written by Pink's dad about his vietnam experiences, the first few seconds are pretty painful and the rest slightly better ;?)

Rockin in the Free World - Neil Young

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzPTUMp-RbQ

Having watched this back it's clear I need a metronome as I speed up as the song goes on, also there's a sticky bit where I forget the chords for second or 2!

Please leave comments good or bad!

Cheers

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: I've finally found the guts to Youtube some songs.

well done crev you sound & played confident, and who does'nt miss a beat or chord or two??

Well done again crev yer got more bottle than me ! smile

cheers micky cool

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Hi Crevs, Forsomeone who has only been playing four months, thats fantastic, I've been playing 13 or 14 months and thats as good or better than I am. I need a friend to help me, I have lots of the elements, I just need to put them together, but again great job my friend!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Good work Crevs. Good on you for posting one to share.  It takes guts to expose one's music for critique.   Though I've found most people on Youtube (and Chordie for that matter) are supportive and have good things to say.

Hi Crevs smile

A pat on the back and a big Kudos. It takes a lot of nerve to post up on Youtube after playing for only 4 months. I think you did yourself proud. Just think how you will be in a few years. smile

Keep at it

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Crevs. yes it dose take a little guts to put yourself out there for all to see and cheer or boo that all go's with it I think you did a really nice job for the amount of time you have been playing the only criticism would be your vocal range is probably to low for these keys I would get a capo and put it on the second fret and use the same chord formations you may be pleasently surprised,just a thought smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Pretty darn good for only four momnths, Crevs.  Way to go.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

"Well it's good to know your all good singers, I sound like a pack of dogs howling at feeding time!"
Quoted from crev posting from another thread lol

Now Crev yer been tuggin the ole todger saying the a bove ..I don't think so m8, even to my novice ear yer sound just fine.
cool
Cheers Mooch

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Crevy

Very well done on both. Now yuo have got over your first two clips you will do more as we all think yer good enough. well done.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Well done Crevs - For only 4 months, I'd say fantastic!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well done. I left a comment.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

topdown wrote:

Well done Crevs - For only 4 months, I'd say fantastic!

I second that... amazing progress for 4 months

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thanks all for your kind comments, much appreciated. I have a very long way to go but I have to say I'm pleased with my progress but without chordie I suslect I'd have ebayed my guitar weeks ago!  Thanks!

Russell, funny you should mention the capo, I've been experimenting the last few weeks with one and I've realised a lot of the songs I play sound better with a capo on the first fret.  Any higher and I don't like the "tinny" sound the B and E strings give off.

Micky, you must have a good memory to remember my quote from a few weeks ago.  The truth being I really only sussed out what key I should be singing in about 2 weeks ago, the tranformation was massive.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Keep on rockin' in the free world !

Damn good for 4 months!

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Hey I'm new here, and just was reading a few posts above.  I play acoustic, and use capos quite a bit.  One of my teachers at a song school in Lyons, Colorado used 5 capos AT ONE TIME!  It sounded amazing.  I've only had the guts enough to use 2 at once, but with alternate tuning, it sound pretty swell.

Little Pisces child

Hi Kelly and welcome to chordie!

I just checked your myspace page and there are some great tunes on there. I really liked the Momentum song and vid. Fine guitar playing. I'm a Alanis fan and you can certainly hear her influence in your vocals.

Jeff

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well done Crevs, excellent after only 4 months. As noted above, you may need to get the key just right, but you have a good voice lurking in there! Some people are just naturals, darn them!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Good job, looks like you been practicing, lots of fun to be had at kitchen jams.

Badeye    cool

one caper after another

Great stuff Crevs after such a short time of playing although I do agree with Russ about getting the right key for your voice. I have commented on YouTube and given you 5 stars for both. Keep it up and let us know when you upload more.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

OK let me ask, since this subject has come up in Crevs posting, just how can you tell when you have found your right singing key. Myself still being in the latter stages of being a beginner, I find it very hard to both sing and play most songs at the same time, and not being sure if I'm in key or not, so again, just how can you tell.

Cam

You have a nice voice Crevs. Very relaxed and steady. Only four months? Wow!
     I'd say, No Limits!!

Ron

Wow, that was awesome Crevs!!!
4 months!? Yeah right!!!! You sound like you've been playing for years!!
The fact that you can play AND SING puts you soooooo far out ahead of the crowd man...wow.
And you sing well too! I left a few comments on your Neil young cover and also subscribed to your channel.

take care,
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Hey Crevs.

Fantastic, guy! cool Keep goin'!!!

Cam, you'll know you've got the right key/capo position when you can hit all the high notes and you're not straining your vox to get any notes out (high or low!); you'll also be able to sing louder!!!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Thanks for the tip KajiMa, I really struggle with this on most songs, I know moving the capo helps to find your key, but it seems some songs I can play and sing ok, but then another song, in the same key, sounds awful, but, I keep belting it out, I figure it all out one day, I'm determined, thanks again!

Cam

I watched them both and you have natural talent and ability.
The fact that you can play and sing like that after only 4 months is incredible.

Original Songs on YouTube:   www.youtube.com/thegilsongs
Cover Songs on YouTube:   www.youtube.com/All1Song