Topic: Rhymth Issues

My dear friend has rhymth problems.
She is a bassist, currently trying to learn guitar. I am a guitarist of two and a half years, and have been trying to help her along with the struggles. We have discovered that she is rhymthically challenged and has hard times with keeping a beat, is there any methods we can use to get over this, or will practice just help her along?

Tips?
Advice?
Methods to help?

Thank you

Re: Rhymth Issues

merrickk if your friend has a computer there are some online metronomes that can be set for any meter to practice to also there are inexpensive drum machines that are adjustable with regards to tempo even the free audacity program has a click track that can be adjusted for any tempo to practice to if she has a computer otherwise there are metronomes that are digital as well as the old fashion reliable pendulum type smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi merrickk and welcome to the forum,

I'm not sure anyone just picks up the guitar and automatically has good rhythm. I think it's just a matter of practice, practice, and more practice. When I was learning the guitar I struggled with rhythm, timing, and everything else a beginner deals with. I could hear in my head what I wanted it to sound like but just couldn't get my picking hand to do it. It seemed like all of a sudden it snapped one day and I was able start keeping better and constant rhythm. I think this hurdle is what keeps a lot of folks from learning the guitar or any other instrument,,,,the basics. So I say, keep on beatin on them strings; she'll get there.

Being a bass player might make this process a little easier since she probably has a good feel for keeping a rhythm. Because she is a bassist, I find it hard to believe she is "rhymthically challenged". It probably seems that way because it is something new to her. That's what I think anyway and don't forget to take advantage of the most friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable people in the world right here on the chordie forum. (that last sentence sounded like a commercial,,didn't it lol )

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

the easiest stumm is D U D U D U D U and is counted as 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & keep it slow and even  and keep repeating it till you can play it faster this will help with your meter smile

Metronome.   Practice with it every day.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

how can you be a Bassist with no sense of rhythm???

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

understandable tho,I have played with a lot of drummers that cant count to 4 lol

I too am challenged. It seems the harder I try or the worse it is. My advice is relax a few beers/drinks (or whatever you fancy) is helpful. Not too many though as thent he fret work gets sloppy. Metronome helps too as everyone eludes to above. Drum machine is fun too.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I reckon every beginning guitarist has problems with rhythm, especially the hard rhythm patterns.
just keep on practicing!

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

manicbassman wrote:

how can you be a Bassist with no sense of rhythm???

Drummers seem to get by OK.  ;D

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]