Re: Innocence panel will hear convicted killer

Toney - Thanks for asking and supporting this cause. I would love to see a video clip of that dedication and song and I am sure others backing Tater would also.

Other than some positive press, the news is not great. We had hoped the D.A. would do the right thing in light of the new evidence and vacate the sentence or drop charges, essentially setting Greg free. Even the former chief justice of the N.C. Supreme Court is backing Greg. Excerpt:

DA is urged to free Taylor

RALEIGH The former chief justice of the N.C. Supreme Court is urging Wake County's top prosecutor to prevent Greg Taylor from spending another day in prison for murder.

I. Beverly Lake says District Attorney Colon Willoughby should use his power to free Taylor. Last month, the N.C. Innocence Inquiry Commission unanimously found that Taylor didn't commit the murder he has spent 16 years in prison paying for.

A three-judge panel next will consider Taylor's case. Lake said Monday that Willoughby should act at once.

"The District Attorney always has the authority, in light of new evidence, to move to vacate a conviction or join with the defense in a motion to vacate a conviction," Lake wrote in a letter to The News & Observer. "There is a difference between being unwilling to exercise that authority and being unable to exercise that authority -- an important distinction."

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/counti … 38999.html

However Willoughby is sticking by his guns in an effort to save face and is going to let this go to the 3 judge panel. I still believe the outcome will be favorable, but likely several months away.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Despite the Innocence Commission's unanimous decision that Greg is innocent, and another man's recent confession to the murder, the DA has announced that he will not support Greg's release, but will instead argue against Greg's release in the new trial presided over by the 3-judge panel. We are now waiting on a date to be set for the new trial.

I talked to Greg yesterday and he seemed to be in an upbeat mood considering where he is and the recent announcement from the DA. They have taken 16 years from him but he has not allowed them to break his spirit.

You know.  Some people just suck.  That DA seems to have a tough time admitting he may have made a mistake.  It's easy to understand why someone wouldn't want to admit to a mistake that cost someone 16 years of freedom, plus whatever unpleasant experiences "Tater" was sure to have experienced in jail.  Nevertheless, a mistake is a mistake and it ought to be fessed up to.  To cost the man another some months for one's own mental protection is evidence the DA hasn't learned anything from the experience.  He might be a heck of a guy in most any other circumstance, but in this one he pretty much sucks. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

"D.A." is a very fitting title for this person.

Free Greg "Tater" Taylor !

Peace, Justice, and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Darren Riley wrote:

Despite the Innocence Commission's unanimous decision that Greg is innocent, and another man's recent confession to the murder, the DA has announced that he will not support Greg's release, but will instead argue against Greg's release in the new trial presided over by the 3-judge panel.

I have few words that can explain what I'm feeling about THIS (well few that I'm allowed to express on this message forum anyhow).  I cannot believe that he's going to argue against Greg's release ... seriously?  How does one person have so much power when there are so many others, an entire commission and a confession, saying that he is innocent?  It is... just... grrrr!  May GOD BLESS that 3 judge panel and Greg and ensure that justice comes to him!

And what of the man that has confessed?  Have they also imprisoned him?  Or has the DA ignored this confession and is NOT prosecuting?  Do they in fact have TWO different men imprisoned for the same crime that only ONE man has committed? 

FREE TATER!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

And what of the man that has confessed?  Have they also imprisoned him?  Or has the DA ignored this confession and is NOT prosecuting?  Do they in fact have TWO different men imprisoned for the same crime that only ONE man has committed? 

-------------------
Good questions. Craig Taylor, who has confessed, is already in prison for a long list of crimes including habitual felon. He is a mentally disturbed individual that has confessed to several murders that, as it turns out, he could not have possibly committed. This is the point that the DA is using to argue against his credibility in the confession in Greg's case. However, Craig Taylor's taped confession reveals accurate details of the crime that noone else, including the crime investigators, knew. Now that the details have been compared to the crime scene evidence, it's obvious that he is telling the truth in the confession, regardless of how many other false confessions he may have given in other cases.

Here is a link to Craig Taylor's DOC record

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi/vie … listpage=1

Look at the list of crimes he 's committed and look at the list of infractions he's accumulated while behind bars. Compare that to Greg's DOC record which consists of 2 DWIs and the murder charge. Greg has zero infractions on his prison record and he's been in for 16+ years.

A very important question to ask is this: Now that Craig Taylor has given his confession with accurate details, will our DA continue to ignore it as an incredible confession and let him out of prison when he is scheduled to be released in 2011? Will he let a mentally disturbed habitual felon and confessed murderer out to walk the streets of our community just to save face in Greg Taylor's case?

^ I'll just add that Craig Taylor was originally questioned and considered a possible suspect before Greg's trial. Craig Taylor did have a relationship with the victim and his first confession to this murder was made to a psychiatrist in 1996, well before his recent string of false confessions.

To all of the above all I can say is WOW!  I can't believe that this DA is being such a (insert word of choice here). 

I did look that DOC record up, and I found Greg's as well.  Crazy, just crazy.  Yeah, Craig Taylor is due to be released in 2011 and as a confessed murderer (not to mention all the other infractions he's earned while IN prison) should be carrying Greg's life sentence.  I do hope that someone persues that and ensures that this clearly disturbed habitual felon does NOT walk the streets.  I would be very scared if I were living in that area!  Sadly, it seems it is up to the same DA that is being a (insert word of choice here) to do so.  Some people should not be given so much power.

From today's newspaper....

Noone from the state has bothered to look into this or ask Craig Taylor any questions regarding this case since his detailed confession to the Innocence Commission official.

"DA Colon Willoughby could not be reached for comment Tuesday"

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_ … 50499.html

Greg's hearing date has been set for February 9. We are all counting the days.

Good article in yesterday's Raleigh newspaper:

Published Thu, Nov 26, 2009 02:00 AM
Modified Thu, Nov 26, 2009 05:00 AM
Lawyers fault Taylor case

RALEIGH Gregory Taylor refused to blame another man for a murder police had pinned on him, resisting a temptation detectives and a prosecutor repeatedly putbefore him.

That fortitude cost Taylor 16 years of freedom, the chance to raise his daughter and the ability to care for his aging parents.

New court filings by Taylor's attorneys, who are pursuing his exoneration, detail how Taylor was targeted by police and eventually convicted of killing Jacquetta Thomas, a prostitute who was beaten to death in Southeast Raleigh in 1991.

In February, Taylor, 47, will face a panel of judges who will consider whether to exonerate him. Taylor's case was referred to the panel in September after the N.C. Innocence Inquiry Commission decided there was enough evidence to merit further review.

Wake County District Attorney Colon Willoughby has indicated he intends to fight efforts to exonerate Taylor. Willoughby and his assistant Tom Ford, the original prosecutor, did not return calls for comment Tuesday and Wednesday. Raleigh police declined to comment.

Taylor's attorneys submitted new court documents late Tuesday which make a case for his exoneration.

The documents show that his conviction hinged on the testimony of a prostitute and a jailhouse informer, both of whom cooperated with prosecutors to secure a break in their sentences. The informant offered a confession with the wrong manner of death; the prostitute testified that a photo police shared of Taylor didn't look like the guy she saw that night.

Time and again throughout a 5-inch-thick court filing, Taylor is seen forgoing the opportunity to blame Johnny Beck, a friend with whom he'd smoked crack the night of Thomas' murder. Theirs was a new friendship; Beck, a convicted drug user, helped Taylor navigate the drug market of Southeast Raleigh.

Police immediately zeroed in on Taylor and Beck after Thomas' murder. Thomas' body was discovered near Taylor's SUV, which he had pulled into a dark, secluded path so he and Beck could smoke crack. Taylor's SUV got stuck in the mud, so he abandoned it there overnight.

By the time Taylor came to retrieve it the next morning, Raleigh police had swarmed the area. Throughout the day, police questioned Taylor, telling him they had a witness who saw him and Beck "right in the middle of something" and that Thomas' blood was in his car, according to a transcript of the police interview.

In truth, police had no such witness. Nothing of Thomas', blood or hair, was found in or around Taylor's SUV.

Such interview tactics are common; no law forbids police from lying during interrogations, legal experts say.

Tempted to shift blame

Raleigh Police Detective Johnny Howard told Taylor, "I will bring in my experts, and I will bring in my dog, and I will convict you in court," according to the transcript.

Taylor insisted: "I did not do it. I'm telling you the truth."

Howard replied: "Well, then there will be an innocent man convicted of murder."

Later, Howard continued to press: "Now, what you need to decide is if you [are] going to be charged with that murder or [are] you going to be a witness to that murder?"

Howard eventually told Taylor that Beck had blamed him for the murder.

In truth, Beck did not tell police Taylor committed the murder. He, too, has maintained their innocence.

Taylor agreed to submit to a lie detector test, but one was never administered, according to court documents.

By evening, less than 10 hours after discovering Thomas' body, police charged both Taylor and Beck with first-degree murder. No other suspects were interviewed.

Taylor continued to resist invitations to blame Thomas' murder on Beck. The next opportunity came through a friend of Taylor's the day after he was arrested, according to an affidavit filed in the case.

Howard, the detective, interviewed Chris Bunn, a friend of Taylor's with whom he had been before heading to Raleigh with Beck.

According to Bunn, Howard asked him to convey a message to Taylor. Bunn recalled Howard saying: "Mr. Bunn, I can get you in to see Greg, and if you tell him to tell me that the [racial epithet] did it, we'll turn him loose."

Beck is black; Taylor is white. Again, Taylor refused.

Howard is no longer with the Raleigh Police Department. Attempts to find him for comment failed Wednesday.

At trial, prosecutor Tom Ford told jurors that Beck had killed Thomas and that Taylor was merely there, whichamounted to committing murder in the eyes of prosecutors.

Taylor's 'last chance'

In 1993, months after the jury convicted Taylor and sentenced him to life in prison, Ford offered Taylor one last opportunity to spare himself by turning on Beck. He offered to lobby the governor to commute Taylor's sentence if he would implicate Beck, who was still awaiting trial for Thomas' murder.

Ford wrote to Taylor's attorney: "I realize your client has some serious decisions to make, i.e. whether saving face with his family is worth twenty years plus in prison."

Ford continued: "If the state is forced to enter a dismissal in Mr. Beck's case because of Mr. Taylor's refusal to cooperate, we will consider any offer we made him to be forever withdrawn."

Again, Taylor didn't budge.

Ford eventually dismissed the murder charge against Beck, the man he had told jurors during Taylor's trial had actually killed Thomas.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local_ … 11707.html

Games.  Figuring they're so smart about what they "know" happened despite a lack of evidence.  I sincerely hope that all police investigations aren't so haphazard, and suspect strongly that they are not.  Actually, based on my turns on jury duty, I can state emphatically that they are not. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Greg is finally getting his case heard by the 3-judge panel this week. Video of the hearing can be viewed here.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6998644/

If everything goes well (and from what I've seen so far it is going very well), Greg could be released this week!

The evidence / witness portion of the hearing is done. Tomorrow morning will be the closing arguments and then it's up to the judges to do the right thing. The panel has assured us they will make a quick decision so (if justice presides) Tater should be a free man at this time tomorrow. I'm working in South Carolina now so I can't make it, but I sure wish I could be present to watch him walk out the door.

There's prayers being said on his behalf in northern Virginia. 

- Zurf

Prayers for justice to be done in NY!  FREE TATER!

TATER IS FREE!

Gregory Taylor exonerated on murder charge
Posted: 29 minutes ago
Updated: 1 minute ago

A Cary man who has spent nearly 17 years in prison on a first-degree murder conviction will go free, a three-judge panel has decided.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7063377/

This Richie Havens tune seems appropriate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-d5x-CiTUs

Hot dog! 

"I fought the law and the law SUCKED."

44 (edited by KAP54 2010-02-17 21:15:24)

Absolutely Awesome News Topdown big_smile

The proofs in the pudding...NOT GUILTY!!!
When you guys get together for a long over due brewski make sure you tip one back for Tater's Chordie friends big_smile
Awesome big_smile

Kenny
P.S. Thanks for the news and tune link...they speaks volumes.

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

It's great news that he's free, no easy task to accomplish I'm sure. Thank God that justice finally prevailed, the video brought tears to my eyes, very touching and I'm so happy for him and his family.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

I am sooo delighted to read this news.

I believe allowing himself to be absorbed in his own truth, was always his path to freedom.
May he enjoy many walks on his own as requested. How many of us can do this anytime and choose not to !
I hope "Jacquetta Thomas's" family find peace also in all of this.. I'll light a candle for them all.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Interesting comments from Ms. Pharr.  I hope she learns of the admission of guilt from the other individual.  It's odd that the article didn't mention it.  I don't suppose many of us approve of prostitution, but it is so important to remember the humanity of the person so engaged.  There's a daughter who loved her Momma and has had to live without her.  Heart-wrenching.  There's just so much sadness wrapped up in this one event.  I have heard a definition of evil saying that it's putting one's own desires no matter how small above other people's rights no matter how basic.  That is exactly what the murderer did.  His own petty desire for something above Ms. Thomas's right to live or Ms. Pharr's right to have a Momma. 

- Zurf

Wow... I am in awe watching the videos of Greg's release.  I am actually shedding a few tears over this whole thing.  What a wonderful day for him and his family after so much lost time.  I can't believe they had him in the news room within hours of his release... I can't believe that they followed him home to his daughter's after his release.  THANK GOD they gave the man a little space finally and weren't there video taping his walk, and I do desperately hope that he was able to take that freedom walk without people staring at him out their windows.  I have a feeling he is going to be in the public eye a lot... and he is going to do some really really GREAT things.

I too am intrigued by the comments from Ms. Pharr ... I hope that they prosecute the man who has claimed his guilt in this horrific murder (or find the one who is guilty if he is not) and she is given some peace after living her entire life wondering.

Pretty cool interview on local radio today. It seems like Tater is handling his new found fame pretty well, has some good folks helping him and seems well grounded. Give a listen if you'd like.

http://wdcg.bobandtheshowgram.com/cc-co … le=6793670

All right folks, this story / thread is pretty much over, but for those who have followed along, I thought I'd share this excerpt from a little conversation I had with Tater on Facebook earlier tonight. The support from chordians around the world was much appreciated.

I read the posts from you on Chordie(?) when I was in the joint -- my daughter printed them out and mailed them in. That really meant a lot. Thanks a TON Bro'.