Topic: Guitar Purchase

I'm planning on buying a Epiphone Les Paul Standard II for $129 (used) is this a good deal?

Re: Guitar Purchase

Yes, You can alway stick a new set of pickups in it and or use it to learn other mods after you learned on it (and purchased a new one). Go to www.guitarfetish you could find a set of humbuckers for $ 30.00 to $ 40.00 american.

Bootlegger.

Bootlegger guitars.

Hey Bootlegger,

Thats a great price for pickups, how do they compare to seymor duncans or some other high end pick ups? (soundwise?)

I think I'm going to make my next electric from parts.  It'll probably be a strat or similar.  any suggestions, websites to look at, things to look out for?

Alex

Their good for the price and close to the high end boutique pickups.  They make different models and they are affordable. I have a set of overwound 70's grey bottoms in an alder strat wired with a volume mod (your tone does not suffer when you lower your volume) there real hot(wound). Go to the GFS website and check the pick ups out. As far as building a guitar out of parts as a semi custom how much money do you want to spend? Do you want to paint it, dye it or buy a body that's already painted? How much money do you want to spend? Once you decided let me know and I give you a hand.

Bootlegger

bootlegger guitars.

I woudn't mind spend between one and two grand (american).  I would prefer to paint it, not dye it...I was going to have an artist friend of mine to paint it for me.  Is there a specific type of paint I could use so as to not disrupt the flow of vibration?...is that even an issue?  I'm probably going to need at least one humbucker, (I have a vintage rat distortion pedal, they're great, but noisy)  maybe an active pickup? don't know...any ideas?

Go to www.warmoth.com and check their bodys for the amount of money you want to spend. Stick a set of Rio Grande texas/bbq bucker humbucker set. Use a 5-way strat switch (oak grigsby or crl type not the inline imports). Using a five way switch allows you to have humbuckers and to split the coils and gert a single coil sound. Pos#1 would be the bridge bucker, pos#2 neck & bridge bucker, pos#3 neck bucker, pos#4 bridge and neck split coil & pos#5 bridge split coil.

Since I don't have a grand or two (american) to spend I would buy a kit from international luthiers supply. You can buy an alder strat type kit painted with all the hardware for about $300.00 american. Ditch the pick guard and electronics buy a set of Rio grandes ($190.00 american)and get a good set of machine heads(tuners).

You have to rerout the body for humbuckers because they are cut for single coil pick ups. If you cant take it to a good tech and have him rout, wire and set up the action.

You have a semi-custom guitar for 500.00 to 700.00 american not counting any extra labor charges.

You can buy an american strat for the same price but you don't get the pickups or any other custom items you might want.

I don't think you can split active pick ups (EMG's). You can always use hot rail(stacked humbuckers in a single coil type config.) you can split them but I don't have any experience with them. Take a look around and let me know which route you choose.

Bootlegger.

Bootlegger guitars.

Thanks for the info...I will most definitely use your suggestions...also, I have another question,

Do you know if the vintage hagstrom swedes worth anything significant?  It's a really great guitar and I don't if I necessarily want to sell it, but i might want to insure it if I ever go on the road.

Check out vintage guitar magazine on the web and or go to a book store and buy a copy they may have values or website addresses to browse.

Bootlegger.

Bootlegger guitars.

P.S. my next rig is coming from intl luthiers supply I'll hot rod it and have a custom for about $400.00. I do my own work.