Topic: Recording???

Hell-o People out there in CHORDIE land. I have a few questions about recording. What do I need to add to my Yamaha MG12/4 mixing console to record.I have good quality mikes and a 350 watt self powered Silk Road speaker. Can I go direct from this to my computer, or is there something else to add. Any advice given please make it in as basic as you can. My knowledge is obviously limeted.

Desperate to set up!

STEVE(Johnny V.)

P.S.

Price is an issue, if I have to buy a new computer, so be it. If there is another or better way, let's hear it. What's My Options??

Re: Recording???

Hi Steve,

I am no expert, there are far more qualified people out there, but I do get by recording so I have some practical experience.

Firstly you do not need your powered speaker as your mike would pick from there also but you will need headphones to monitor your input. So basically your mike and instruments are fed to your mixer along with any device for backing tracks and you use your mixer to control your volume levels etc. Connect your mixer to your PC and you should be ready to record. You may need to purchase a lead and adaptor to interface your mixer and PC but that should be fairly straightforward.

You also need to try and control the noise in the environment you record in, dogs barking and children shouting can ruin an otherwise perfect take.

I hope this is for help

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi johnny

I record onto my pc using a program called guitar pro 3.

it is a 32 track studio.

I have a quite crappy microphone so i get quite crappy quality recordings.

If using an electric guitar, you can plug yer guitar into effects then straight into your computer and you should get a good enough recording.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hello Gentlemen;

One last question. If I have a choice to go from mixer to computer(guitar pro 3) or mixer to MTR, which is the better set-up.

STEVE(JV)

stumped me with that question ,

But I would say try both, see what sounds better after you do something and put it on cd.

Problem with guitar pro3 is you cannot mix it while recording it, like fading in and out etc( or not that I have worked out yet)

Try both.

Let us know what is best, or what you think is best. Doesnt have to be a full song, just do a 30 second sample from different ways

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending