Topic: What does quilted maple top mean?

Hi guys,

I know I should be looking at solid tops as opposed to laminates but I'm upgrading now and I see there are several guitars in my budget with quilt tops..  What does this mean?  Here's one I've been looking at.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Joe.

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product- … %2E+Gigbag

2 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-12-01 23:55:36)

Re: What does quilted maple top mean?

Quilted just describes the grain character of the wood.... It will be a laminate top. Essentially it will be a plywood top for that model with a pretty veneer of quilted maple on top for cosmetics. It has no effect on the tone of the guitar. Solid Quilted maple is sometimes used as a back and side wood but seldom used as a top wood. In general Maple is a fairly bright sounding tone wood with a quick attack.. Here's a pic of the quilted maple back on my '95 S&P Pro
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2281/2053154023_0e8b02a725.jpg

The Takamine you're looking at has some excellent electronics and would be a great stage, recording, or plugged in guitar but you'll probably find the unplugged sound wanting... As always ,if you can, try one before you purchase to be sure it will fit your needs. Best of luck in your search! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

3 (edited by Joeninho 2009-12-02 11:41:20)

Nice one Pix!  That's exactly what I wanted to know.  I figured that if it doesn't mention solid top then it doesn't have one.  I'm gonna bin that idea now as I want amazing sound and not amazing looks! 

I know its not a great deal of cash but if anyone can recommend a solid top in the £250-£350 range I'd be grateful for the advice.  Also, are Ibanez electros any good in this range?  They seem to be slated at UG but I've heard others say they are amazing value.  I'm gonna head to the stores and try before I buy but some input from you guys would be invaluable.  Thanks again.

Regards,

Joe.

P.S.  I'm currently playing a Yamaha FG730s so I don't want something that sounds too similar..  Now don't get me wrong, the Yamaha is awesome its just that I want something a little different..  Solid Cedar maybe?

IMO Ibanez acoustic/electrics are great bang for the buck guitars in that range. I've had an AW100 and an AW200ecvv in the past and both were excellent guitars for the money! Also keep your eyes open for anything by Godin (Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Norman, Simon & Patrick) If they have them in your area, you should be able to find a nice cedar topped model with the Q1 electronics in your price range. These are excellent guitars and well worth a try!

What style music do you play? Strum or fingerpick? Do you have a nut width prefrence? Body size prefrence (dread, OM, GA, 000,etc...)

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks again Pix.  Great advice there.  I'll try a few of the ones you mentioned over the next week or two..

I probably play about 50/50 fingerpicking/strumming so maybe a good all rounder?  Its mainly rock/folk music I play.  I'll try to give you an idea of what I've learned recently.   I'll play anything by the great man (Springsteen).  I've also added several Matchbox 20 numbers recently.  Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive(all parts) is a recent one.  Creedence, Dylan, Kings of Leon, Nickelback, Tom Waits, Tom Petty, Killers, Del Amitri, Van Morrison, Queen, Counting Crows, Guns n Roses, Johnny Cash, Led Zep, Metallica (for old times sake!) and a million others are all bands that I like.  Just decided to throw in a bunch of artists off the top of my head to give you an idea..

I've been strumming for a few years but decided to learn other stuff 6 months or so ago and I can't believe the progress I've made.  I love the size of my Yamaha dread but I have it in my head that I would prefer a different shape.  Just for a different sound/contrast.  I'd like a cutaway this time too.  I'm selling an Ovation Applause on ebay just now as it just wasn't for me.  I don't think I'm too bothered about the nut width.  Which probably means I don't know enough about it! 

I generally research for hours on end when buying as it paid off last time.  I Couldn't be happier with the FG730s.  Thanks again for all the advice dude.  Much appreciated.