Topic: Thank you Jerome o neil

I asked questions on this forum a couple of days ago, regarding understanding  scales & chord progressions, I read Wlbays explanation and it blew my head away when it came to 1 to 8 in numbers and various keys F, C, A, etc.

At that time I had not read your explanation of scales & primers at the head of this forum.

Since reading this, I am so much more understanding about this subject.

I now understandhow what 1 to 8 is with regard to C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C, how this the pattern for Do,Ra,Me,Fa,So,La,T,Do, in various keys, and by utilising the chord progression being 1st, 3rd, 4th I understand how chords are made up.

Also Root and tone and half tone how and what they are on the scale.

Thank you very much Jerome for a very good explanation, and clearing an old mans head, I hate it when I cannot understand things.

Best of luck, Tony

Re: Thank you Jerome o neil

By the way, I still cannot get my head around the circle of fifths, even after reading reading all about it on Wilkopedia, nevermind thats another subject for another day Tony

Ive got my head round the circle of fiths now, after looking it up on the net, but still cant understand how you get flats & sharps, have to do more reading. Tony

It is *exactly* this kind of response that drives me to do the things I do.   It makes every minute I put into this worth while.   smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

"How you get flats and sharps" is best demonstrated on a piano keyboard.   You get them by maintaining the half step whole step interval pattern necessary to create a major scale.

Play the C major scale on a keyboard.  Count how many black keys you hit.   Compare to the key signature for C.

Then play the G scale on a keyboard.  Count how many black keys you hit.  Compare to the key signature for G.

It will all make sense when you can see it laid out in those terms,   but the fretboard makes it a little confusing.

Jerome, I think i have finally cracked the circle of fifths, what i did was took C. one left F. and one right from C = G. giving me a group of C.F.G. then the same from G, middle ,left, right, giving me G.C.D. I carried on all the way round untill I arrived back at the beggining with C.F.G. being 12 progressions around the circle. am i correct.

Fundamentally that's it.   The reason it works is because of the major scale.

If you look at C major, it's  C D E F G A B C

Take a look at the notes.   The F is the fourth note and the G is the fifth note.   When we refer to the IV or the V, that's what we mean.   The circle lets us find the IV and the V easily, for any scale.   Simply pick the root, and the next note in a clockwise direction is the V, and the note behind it is the IV.

G, for example.

G A B C D E F# G

Check it out on the wheel, and see it work!

As you work into it, you'll find that *every* note is available this way.  Walk three over, and you'll find the VI, for example, which will give you the relative minor.  It's a handy thing to have.