Topic: Mixing string guages

Lately my strings feel very flimsy, I know the guitar is tuned well, but it is just a feeling that bothers me a bit.  My low E on the other hand feels just right, maybe even a bit too tight.  So my question is can I mix and match gueages, provided they are not too far away from each other high 9s and low 10s for example?

Re: Mixing string guages

That is a good question. You should ask the guitar shop. I think that it would not be possible because different sets fo strings put different tension on the neck. Ex. Lights might pou 200lbs of pressure and med/lights will put 250lbs. Therefore they would never be in perfect tune. You might even break a string.

I'm think you'll end up with an unbalanced sound from the different strings and an unbalanced feel for your fingers. Make sure your strings are all the same age. New strings start off syrupy, then get to a sweet-spot for most their life, then as they need changing they go a bit metallic and grating. Change them all at once from the same packet.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Thanks for the advice, I didn't realise that physics would be against me

<i><b><font color="crimson">You can mix string gauges but the results are probably not going to be favorable...some artists have found combinations that work well for their sound, but they also have their guitars set-up for it... I would start with whatever is recomended for your particular make and model. If that doesn't work for you then discuss it with a technician and try different gauges in a complete set. Using heavy gauge strings in normal tuning on some instruments can cause damage. A good tech can make recomendations or you can check the customer service of your guitar company for info. Also the string companies have lots of info on their websites...</font></b></i> I hope this helps...jg

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Try using what is commonly referred to as jazz strings they are basiclly light E A D strings and heavy G B E strings but not as drastic a difference as useing two seperate gauges.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Update on the topic, I swapped my 9s for 10s and am a lot happier withe the sounds and the feel

american chaos theory wrote:

Try using what is commonly referred to as jazz strings they are basiclly light E A D strings and heavy G B E strings but not as drastic a difference as useing two seperate gauges.

I also agree.
I use that setup in ernie ball strings.
Their "Heavy Bottom - Skinny Top" strings are perfect for the above referenced setup.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle