Topic: Got the words. How do I find the chords?

Hi folks,

I thought I would ask what may be a silly question.

I have the words to a song, I have the melody in my head and a basic strumming / picking pattern. What I don't have are the chords.

How do you find the chords?

I can write the words, imagine the song, but I can't get the chords yet.

The first verse of the song goes

"Bobby's born in steeltown,

He lived, he worked , he died,

Left it once to see the world,

with his deep blue eyes."

my thought's on strumming / picking were

d   d   d    u  d    u    dud

Bobby's born in steeltown,

d  d      u  d        u  d   udu

He lived, he worked , he died,

d   d   d    u  d    u    dud

Left it once to see the world,

d    d   u    d       u  d   udu

with his deep blue eyes."

I hear the song in my head as a sort of 80's style power ballad

If anyone has any thought's I will appreciate them.

best regards

David Grant

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

Re: Got the words. How do I find the chords?

Well I dont know how everyone else does it, but I write both at the same time, and I find the chords are most important.

I dont write a song untill I have a rough tune in my head which I can work from, change some of it and fit some words into the melody.

In my oppinion you've done it backwards, but some others on here might do it the same way and might be able to help you out.

So far I've written songs where I come up with the music first, with the lyrics and after I write the lyrics. All have been equally tough and just require sitting down and plugging away at least thats how I do it. I recommend sitting down and tinkering with it until you get something you're satisfied with.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

I tend to get a chord progression first then the words or lyrics.I always have my finger board chart in front of me.I think its good to have a good imaginatoin and some knowledge of the subject.I'm no expert but this works for me.

Whatever works.Its all good....

..Badeye.

one caper after another

I have some experience, but that does not make me an expert.  I have found that a variety of chord sequences can be adapted to any particular melody.  I usually opt for a simple rather than complex set of chords.

Since you already have the melody (that's a huge step), figure out where the downbeats are and where they occur in your lyric.  Chances are, these downbeats will be where the chords will change.

Now, pick a key you are comfortable playing in and base your chord set on the main chords in that set.

For instance, in 'C' the main chords are:

I-C, II-Dm, III-Em, IV-F, V-G, VI-Am, and V7-G7.

In 'G'the main chords are:

I-G, II-Am, III-Bm, IV-C, V-D, VI-Em, and V7-D7.

Other chords can be used, but these will get you started.  The roman numerals before each chord are simply there to denote where the chord falls in ascending order within the key.

Fool around with these chords while you sing your melody.  Chances are, you will find some chords that will seem perfect for what you are singing.

Another strategy might be to look up some other power ballads that seem similar to what you are hearing.  See what chords these songs used.  The same set of chords might mesh well with your melody.

Hope this helps get you over this hurdle!

James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hi David

I have this problem too sometimes.

If I have wrote lyrics first before the music but have an idea how the song goes then I hum the tune in the note that the words have to be sung and fart around with different chords til I find the right chords and chord progressions.

Or, I make up a tune, even if it is a very basic tune and make the words fit, sometimes I have to change a word or two.       

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

When that same problem accours for me I usually have two options. find another guitarist buddy and sing the song to him and let him find the chords or (this one is a bit harder) get a tape recorder and go to a piano or keyboard. Play the melody(what you sing) and record it. Then play it back and find the chords that fit it. Hope it helps cause I know how frusterating that can be.

- Mike

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

David , the only thing that I might add to the great advice you've already been given, would be to sing some of your favorite songs along with the original recording  and determine what Key your most comfortable singing in and work with the chords in that key and adapt them to the song you are writing at the start and maybe venture out from there once you've got a base. Good Luck and don't give up, Ron (FiveO)