1 (edited by Newbie plucker 2010-12-31 05:32:41)

Topic: New banjo player

Hi All.

What a great site this is!  I've been playing guitar since early high school - many, many years ago.  My wonderful man bought me a banjo for Christmas.  I have a beginner banjo book, but it doesn't progress very far beyond very basic methods.  The chords in the song books are great, I just need to work out how to apply the best picking patterns to the chords.  Any assistance much appreciated ...

Kelly.

Re: New banjo player

Learned banjo first, guitar later.  You can find a lifetime of patterns to "work out" starting here.   

banjohangout.com

Re: New banjo player

I have blisters on fingers now, but this is a lot of fun.  So much to learn ... damn shame I have to go to work.

It's demoralising watching some of the youtube players, I don't think I could ever play that fast!

Re: New banjo player

Welcome!

I propose we turn this into the "jokes about the banjo player" thread.  smile

Hey, whats the difference between a locksmith and a banjo player?

The locksmith gets paid to change keys!

Woooo!   smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

www.aclosesecond.com

Re: New banjo player

What's the difference between a Chordie moderator who makes jokes about uni-tuned banjos and Bela Fleck ?

This is a rhetorical joke.........

Give everything but up.

Re: New banjo player

jerome.oneil wrote:

Welcome!

I propose we turn this into the "jokes about the banjo player" thread.  smile

Hey, whats the difference between a locksmith and a banjo player?

The locksmith gets paid to change keys!

Woooo!   smile

Hey Jerome, Why do you want to turn my thread into a joke thread? Am I missing something here? 

Kelly

Re: New banjo player

Newbie plucker wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

Welcome!

I propose we turn this into the "jokes about the banjo player" thread.  smile

Hey, whats the difference between a locksmith and a banjo player?

The locksmith gets paid to change keys!

Woooo!   smile

Hey Jerome, Why do you want to turn my thread into a joke thread? Am I missing something here? 

Kelly

Because jokes about banjos are always funny.

Someday we'll win this thing...

www.aclosesecond.com

Re: New banjo player

jerome.oneil wrote:
Newbie plucker wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

Welcome!

I propose we turn this into the "jokes about the banjo player" thread.  smile

Hey, whats the difference between a locksmith and a banjo player?

The locksmith gets paid to change keys!

Woooo!   smile

Hey Jerome, Why do you want to turn my thread into a joke thread? Am I missing something here? 

Kelly

Because jokes about banjos are always funny.

I think you,re getting mixed up with acccordian players ,lol.

Re: New banjo player

henryb wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:
Newbie plucker wrote:

Hey Jerome, Why do you want to turn my thread into a joke thread? Am I missing something here? 

Kelly

Because jokes about banjos are always funny.

I think you,re getting mixed up with acccordian players ,lol.

Might be.  All them guys look alike.

And while we're at it...

How do you know the drummer is knocking at your door?

It keeps getting faster, and the guy never knows when to come in!

Someday we'll win this thing...

www.aclosesecond.com

Re: New banjo player

My friend left his banjo in his car one night outside my house and when he went to the car the next day he noticed the window was broken.

Oh no he thought my banjo!

When he got to the car his banjo was still in the back, but right there beside it was _ _ _ _   _


Another banjo!!!!!


Don't worry I play banjo & drums, guitarists are so boring !

Re: New banjo player

can anyone tell me how to play matchstalk men by brian and michael on 5 string banjo

Re: New banjo player

Newbie plucker wrote:

Hi All.

What a great site this is!  I've been playing guitar since early high school - many, many years ago.  My wonderful man bought me a banjo for Christmas.  I have a beginner banjo book, but it doesn't progress very far beyond very basic methods.  The chords in the song books are great, I just need to work out how to apply the best picking patterns to the chords.  Any assistance much appreciated ...

Kelly.

As a woman who has been playing at being a banjo picker for 35 years or so, I say welcome to ya.  As to picking patterns, well that would depend on whom you are playing with and what feel the tune has.  And keep in mind you can also simply chord and strum a 5 stringer when all else fails!  (or try one of the many "old tyme" strum patterns which were great for solid rythym keeping as well as hilightin the upper strings).  Where I live we have many to choose from-clawhammer, frailin, north carolina style, kentucky style virginia style georgia style and good ole tennessee style-pretty much variations on a theme, but each has its own unique style of doing it.