1 (edited by SleepingBear 2011-01-01 14:49:22)

Topic: Dumb question about chord symbols

What does it mean on this site when a chord symbol is bracketed by asterisks? Example: *G* as opposed to G. Thanks.

Re: Dumb question about chord symbols

No idea, SleepingBear but welcome to the forum and Happy New Year! Maybe if you could provide a link to the page you are referring to, someone could have an infromed guess. Chord charts are funny things and when people provide their own version of chords to songs they can sometimes add the odd symbol to denote a particular fingering. Sometimes on the page they will give the fingering for the asterixed chord, sometimes not. Chordie does not host these songs directly but seeks them out from other sites so maybe visiting the original host site may provide some answers too. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I believe that is for a bass note, but I might be wrong. Happy New Year

good question SleepingBear I dont recall ever seeing an * with a chord on any sheet music I ever looked at. can you provide the link to the song?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks to both of you who responded. Here is a link.

http://chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guita … 48216.html

Note the *G#* and the *G* in the last line. The latter especially doesn't sound right just played as a major chord, so maybe I need to try it just as a bass note or something or compare it again to the video of the song.

Yes, it's Grouch Marx. Hardly the kind of thing I usually play, but I was interested in learning it for a lark.

Just watched a video of Groucho doing this song and it looks like he adds a couple of bass notes right enough.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

After looking at the song you provided a link for there is no reason for the asterisks musically,perhaps the person who charted this did not know how to express a minor chord or even a dimished thats my guess but there are no * in sheet music that I'm aware of smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Yep I'd have to agree with Russell and the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Happy New Year Everyone