Topic: Performing

How can one perform on stage as perfectly as one does when on your own? Is it only live practice that makes it easier? Tips??

You can't take more out of life, than you are prepared to put in.

Re: Performing

the more you play live the more comfortable you will be. As with anything, pratice makes perfect.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

A couple of belts always helps me!

4 (edited by wlbaye 2011-01-08 19:57:32)

I find if I am very comfortable with the song and know it without thinking about it , I can play it anytime, anywhere. I like to have several that I can play on demand without any lyrics or music. It takes alot of practice , but get some of your favorites down and practice them over and over. I use to stick to 3 and 4 chord songs
for my go to songs so you don't have to concentrate so hard on the guitar.

Start by playing for family and friends and soon you'll be comfortable playing for others.

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Practice around friends and in your practice area with a mic in your face.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

There are two approaches to practice. One is to practice to the point you stop making mistakes. The other is to practice to the point where you can't make any mistakes and if you pull that song up after three months not doing it, you can still play it with no mistakes.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I perform weekends at my neighbourhood pub, occasionally with a few sit ins, but mostly solo. I've learned that when you make a mistake, ie a crappy chord change, etc, just carry on, odds are highly in your favour that no-one will notice, at all.

I make about a dozen mistakes a night, minimum, either chord changes or singing a verse out of order, but I carry on and so far, no one has noticed, not even my wife, who hears me play extremely often.

BTW - I'm a newbie on the boards, but have been a lurker for awhile now.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Welcome Whitewater55.  Are you a paddler?

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Cheers all, I practice all my songs, a lot, am recording & performing almost weekly, can play them 100 times without music.........but stage tends to give me the wobbles. Am learning to turn my ears off to the strumming partner, which has helped, he must follow!! Stopped boozing 16 years ago, doing it sober is a massive hurdle.

You can't take more out of life, than you are prepared to put in.

Just pretend you are on your own. Not saying that's easy to do but...

Also see the recent 'Knowing a Song' post
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic. … 65#p104665

The more you play in front of strangers, the more it will become second nature.  Busking is a great way to build your professionalism and chops.  You get a lot of one-on-one contact with people and it helps you understand how you relate to others as a musician.

At the risk of hijacking a thread or sounding stupid, what is busking?

Reverend Horton Heat

Here ya go selso

Street performance or busking is the practice of performing in public places for money. People engaging in this practice are called street performers, buskers, street musicians, minstrels, or troubadours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_performance

It's the dude at the park with his case open for tips playing until you pay him to stop big_smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

ah, gotcha. Thx tops

Reverend Horton Heat

Jimmy Buffet is big around here. His satellite radio station "Radio Margaritaville" plays his tunes 24/7.
I left a verse that I do not like out of Buffet's "A Pirate looks at 40" song and had an irate bar patron call me out on it. I did not explain. I merely apologized. A rare event to be sure.
As whitewater 55 posted, most of these boo boos are not noticed by audience members.

Don't keep us in suspense.  Which verse is it?  It's the one about enough money to buy Miami, isn't it? 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

Don't keep us in suspense.  Which verse is it?  It's the one about enough money to buy Miami, isn't it? 

- Zurf

No, sir. It's the one about younger women, living with several wives. I don't like the part where he runs them off and they still come back.
I further dislike his comparing them with profanity. it's disrespectful.
toots

I agree with the disrespectpart in there.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Zurf wrote:

Welcome Whitewater55.  Are you a paddler?

Actually, I am. I used to guide canoe-trips professionally, and started to get a lot of repeat customers when I started packing a cheap classical throw-away guitar for campfire singalongs. I don't get to go into the backwoods that often any more, at least not as often as I'd like, but I still do the spring Little White River high-water run. Pack a wetsuit, the water is cccccold! 100 kms of whitewater, with a few pools, and great speckled trout fishing! My younger brother and I make the run every May, when the water becomes liquid again.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"

Sounds like fun.  I paddle a few Class 2 streams around here, and have been thinking of bringing a fly rod the past few years.  However, my paddling companion keeps taking off like a shot so he can take pictures as I come down through the rapids.  Also, he usually organizes 10 and 12 mile trips with only three or four hours to do them, so there's little opportunity to fish.  I used to instruct canoeing too, but flat-water.  My whitewater skills are not up to 100km runs with few pools.

Zurf wrote:

Sounds like fun.  I paddle a few Class 2 streams around here, and have been thinking of bringing a fly rod the past few years.  However, my paddling companion keeps taking off like a shot so he can take pictures as I come down through the rapids.  Also, he usually organizes 10 and 12 mile trips with only three or four hours to do them, so there's little opportunity to fish.  I used to instruct canoeing too, but flat-water.  My whitewater skills are not up to 100km runs with few pools.

Easy enough to learn,though, just stream hydraulics. Where do you paddle? Not sure which state you're in. I grew up paddling in a little town called Hawk Junction, near Wawa Ontario, Canada. I'm pushing 60, so my endurance has waned somewhat, if not my enthusiasm for canoe tripping. Only get to go on a real trip about twice a year, now. When I was guiding, I would make about 15-20, 3 to 8 day trips a year, but I stopped guiding 10 years ago.

Oh, I could learn.  I just don't care to dedicate the time required to learning the skills I would need.  I understand stream dynamics sufficiently well, it's the body skills I need to improve upon.  However, I am the self-proclaimed King of the Panic Brace.  The panic brace is a random set of motions made by a paddler, most of which ought not to work, that somehow or other return the paddler to a people side up attitude.  I do that stroke a lot.  The only thing rolling sessions have done for me so far is to give me great confidence and lack of concern with being upside down in my boat until such time as I can pop the skirt.  It seems that I am exceptionally talented on the first half of the roll.

- Zurf

Hey whitewater55, nice to see another paddler/picker on the site.  I've spent a little time on moving water myself, and have ran into Zurf several times at fishing/paddling/picking get-togethers.  Although I canoed some when I was young, it was the mid 70's before I really got the whitewater bug, Bought my first raft and started running some class IV rivers in TN and WV, then got into kayaking around '79.  Yakked a lot in the southeastern US - Chattooga in GA, Big South Fork, Emory-Obed, Ocoee, French Broad, Nolichucky in TN, Youghigheny in PA, Cheat Canyon, Upper and Lower Gauley, New River Gorge in WV. (Over 200 runs on the Gorge).  Although I also guided near 100 raft trips and was offered jobs by outfitters on the New and Gauley, I already had good jobs and didn't need the extra money - preferring to do my own trips on my own time - taking friends down the river. Being married and having 4 youngsters at home limited me to 50-60 days a year on the water, so I've never built up the experience you have.

I admire good canoe paddlers like yourself.  Although I tried running big water several times I could never get the hang of rolling a canoe, so my trips were generally limited to class III in open boats.  I've only managed about one long (1-3 week) canoe trip a year, mostly on flat water in Quetico Park in Ontario (been there 21 times), although week-long trips on the Missouri Breaks in Montana and a week-long solo float on the New through VA were highlites I still fondly remember.  Paddled a canoe well enough to earn two first-place medals at the USCA races at the 1982 Worlds Fair in TN though.

28 kayaks, 12 canoes and 5 rafts later, I an now in my 60's and have limited my floats to mostly fishing trips on class III streams. I still manage to get out a week or so on bigger water each year, but now its just in my raft.  Operations on my knees and shoulders made me realize that my big-water yakking days ended about 15 years ago.

My guitar playing and songwriting began because of a love for river-running and I've done a lot of picking on riverbanks over the years.  Hopefully the arthritis in my fingers will hold off and allow me to enjoy those pleasure for many more years.

Sorry for stealing your thread Christaincastell - my wife says I get pretty long-winded when the subject of paddling come up .....................

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I have two 16 foot canoes and a rowing dingy next to my houseboat at Fly Creek. I find that there is a strong correlation between boats and guitars. I paddle a time or two a week up the creek in one of those.
My buddy lent me an plastic/laminate Applause guitar to keep on the houseboat. It's fun to strum after a row or sail.
toots

Okay, to completely hijack the thread, are there any fly-fishermen out there? My 2nd favourite pastime, after pickin' - paddling is a means to get to the trout with my fly rod and no crowds.