26 (edited by keepitreal 2015-05-22 20:30:07)

Re: Anyone play harmonica?

First time I been here. I have 2 mouth organs, one in C, the other in something else. Not to difficult to play as usual it's just practice. Also have a few acoustic guitars that I can play ish. Now playing mouth organ and guitar together I find that impossible, as a life long Rustie (admirer of Neil Youngs work). I find it so frustrating when he makes it look so easy. The other subject close to my heart, beer. I wonder if it's possible to drink a pint while playing mouth organ.

Thick as two short planks

My wife wanted me to play harmonica instead of the guitar - that way I couldn't sing along smile 
I got one as a gift  and actually found a really nice looking one -  both still is unplayed as I have no friggin ' clue how to play it - and I'm not putting the one I found in my mouth without sanitizing it. .
I kind of agree with Phill as well in that it won't belong before it's Chinese or in North America - Espanol. 
AS for the beer.....   
almost any one will do as long as I'm with my friends and having a good time. I happen to be a fan of Killian's Red .

I have enjoyed the conversations in this thread - you guys are a riot!

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Phill Williams wrote:

i never realised until recently that "harps, harmonicas, mouth organs" are made in specific keys. a guy asked if he could come on stage and give a tune, then told me it had to be in "G" as that was the only harp he had on him at the time! he explained later. so now i know.

I just found that out this past winter. Went to an open mic night and there was a guy that had a case full of harps; 18. After it was over I asked him why he had so many. I had no idea you needed one for every key.

Phill Williams wrote:

oh and what you call beer we call lager and is served cold. the dark stuff you refer to can be Guiness or dark ale, bitter which is made with hops is usually lighter, but still served cooled. i've tried Coors, Budwiser and Labatts and i'm afraid i was not impressed, not with the fizz but the taste....sorry

I couldn't agree more.

Budweiser fancy's itself as the "King of Beers". I can't stand it, or Coors. Back in the day, a bunch of us would get together nearly every weekend for some pickin' and drinkin'. We would take turns buying the keg. There were 2 guys that always bought Bud. I would have to put a few down in a big hurry to dampen my taste buds.

When it's time for a beer, I reach for a Yuengling lager. A good rich, full bodied, dark beer. Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the U.S. and it's only about 100 miles North-East of us.

http://www.yuengling.com/our_story/

I play the Blues harp, it was my first instrument . As far as  playing a guitar and your harp at the same time,(of course we are talking about a diatonic harp) I find that I must know the song, at least on one instrument, so we'll that I can play it in my sleep! In other words I must know how to play the song subconsciously, without thinking about it. That leaves my mind free to concentrate on my second instrument, the guitar. I believe that if you can sing and pick at the same time , then you should be able to pick and play the harp together. Of course the magic word is Practice!

I can't find the right harp for this chord progression !................and I don't know why.

Can anyone help please ?

I am playing a song on acoustic guitar and want to accompany myself on harmonica but I can't find one that sounds like its in a fitting key.

I am playing C#m - B - A - B. ( This is the actual key, but I'm playing in a capo 4 position on my guitar Am - G - F - G)

I want a get a growling angry sounding bluesey accompaniment .

Which harp should I buy to get the best sound for this.

Thanks !!

Firstly,  welcome to chordie baribari. I think I must have attended the same school as tandm3.i'm not great on mouth organ, even worse on guitar, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin. Oh well

I just noticed the dates on these posts, must call in here more often.

La armonica no es tan facil de tocar es mucho mas complejo de lo ke parece en principio, solo te recuerdo ke para poder usarla minimamente bien tienes ke dominar los bendings y son bastante complicados, por lo menos para mi, con sigo acerlos todos menos los de el 3er agujero....y yo creo ke si ke es bastante teórico, acordes, acordes partidos, las distintas técnicas ke son muchiiisimas----
Tengo una armonica de Blues en C, aunke ultimamente no le dedico mucho tiempo, si estais empezando os recomiendo
Guía para la armónica diatónica de diez celdas o armónica de blues. Aprende armónica. The Ten Hole Diatonic Harmonica or Blues Harmonica Reference Guide. Learn harmonica.

Daniela