26 (edited by bunbun 2012-08-06 06:01:28)

Re: So here I am...

And another update....

The last spasm episode stopped two weeks after it started. To the day. I drove my daughter somewhere, got out and found that it did not hurt anymore. I had the rhizotomy done on the left side only in March. It did not seem to help much at the time. I graduated from the strider to walking 2.75 miles per day after I stretched and did core strengthening. As my back got better and I got stronger I started walking 4.5 miles a day as fast as I could. I wear a Heart Rate monitor and started using the walks to build up aerobic endurance. As I got in better shape I had to do push-ups, curls or squats to fatigue myself before my walks so I could get my HR up. I was up to 100 push-ups and 100 curls every other day and about 200 squats (no weights, just the squat motion) on the days I did not do push-ups.

One Friday in May my wife called me into our room and showed me the water on our floor that had leaked from our flotation bed, (Yes, I had one. It is what my wife wanted and we got it before my back problems). Anyhoo, we decided to get a new bed even though we could not really afford one.

We bought a Serta iComfort memory foam bed. Kinda like a Tempur Pedic but different memory foam. Within two weeks the back pain stopped being a distraction and became a sometime nuisance. I think it was a combination of the bed, exercise and the rhyzotomy.

A week before this last Monday I saw the doc and requested that my right side rhyzotomy be performed. The next day I drove to California's Gold Country to visit my mother. I had driven to Phoenix and back to SoCal twice in June ( to help  my father who had some health issues) so the 500 mile drive to Penn Valley would be ok on my back.

Wednesday I took a walk at my mother's house and felt a twinge in my right hip. I knew it was my back acting up but I figured I would walk it out...

By The next Monday (this past Monday) I was in full-spasm. I was supposed to leave Tuesday and even got 30 miles away but had to turn around due to the pain. I could not handle 9 hours of driving home. I was stranded.

Fortunately my father had to fly to Sacramento on Wednesday to take care of some business. My younger brother suggested he take me home. I drove to Sacto in about an hour (Back was on fire when I got there and the right leg would not support weight for about ten minutes) and met my father. He drove me home in my car.

So...My back is hurting again and I have spent about five or six hours a a day doing stretches, core exercises, cold and heat therapy. I also was able to do the 2.75 mile loop walk at a much slower pace. I must say this truly sucks.

I have been playing as I feel better standing up than sitting. When I am not playing I am on the floor stretching, "coring" and whining.

I do have the right side rhyzotomy tomorrow at 1430 hours. At least that was approved with the initial request and could not come at a better time.

I'm glad you had a reprieve, but am disappointed that you're in spasm again.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

feel for you,backpain is one of the worst!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Well bunbun, I also feel for you on this.  I have back pain off and on, but nothing like yours. I can't sit in a car formore than an hour without stopping to stretch.  I hope you get it all worked out buddy.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Another update:

I had an appointment with an "Agreed Medical Examiner" today. An AME is a doctor that both sides of a workman's comp claim (in California) agree upon to evaluate the WC patient.

He told me in no uncertain terms that the damage to my back was too extensive for me to go back to work as a firefighter/paramedic. The back will never be fixed even with surgery and he stated that I could not continue with the repetitive bending and lifting that is such a big part of my job, (Lifting patients, rescue equipment, hose, etc...).

I knew it was coming but it is still a bummer. I spent years trying to get onto a fire department and now I have been told I can never again work the job I love so much.

I must admit to a certain degree of depression right now. Not the put-a-gun-in-my-mouth depression but I kinda want to go away for awhile and just be alone with my bad news. When I got home I played for a few hours to take my mind off of it but when I put the guitar down it comes back.

Now I must start looking for jobs to pay the bills. I will receive a pension of about 50% of my highest years salary tax-free but I will have to find a job that offers health insurance (for my family) and pays enough to pay the bills but I cannot even look for a job until the decision is final and workers comp and my employer agree upon the decision. That will take a few months so I am reduced to worrying about my future while the system grinds slowly along.

Fortunately I have expected this to happen and I am a planner. I have some options and I have already spoken to one prospective employer. He said when I am ready he will try to have a position for me. I am also going to try to get into teaching at the local community college. If I can no longer be a firefighter/medic I can train others to do it.

Good luck with all of it.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sorry to hear about the bad news of it.  Depression is no joke.  If it gets to the point where you're not getting up and getting dressed for far too many days in a row, don't hesitate to seek some additional medical help with it.  BTDT.  On the other hand, I'm really glad to hear you've got some options and you're considering them.  That's reason to look forward to a new experience.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Bunbun sorry to hear your plight,I hope you have the option of being able too talk too a disabilty lawyer,they can help you alot.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman