Topic: What next?

Hiya all here...

I've reached a stage where i don't seem to be getting any further. I'm having no success with barring chords and a lot of pain in my fret thumb due to the way i hold the guitar... any solutions?

I've been playing when i can for about 18 months (self taught). I've got 2 acoustic guitars (one 12 string) and an electric. I prefer the acoustic.

Do i need lessons now??????????

Re: What next?

You probably aught to practice barre chords, as that's what an instructor will tell you to do.

But generally, yes, if you feel like you've plateued, go see a pro!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi Dezill!

When I level out I alwas call my friend or my sis and fix a simple jamming session. The friend is a semi pro and my sis knows less than me. I've noticed that one great way of learning things is to teach your knowledge to someone else. You have to force your brain to think in new ways to teach and that gives you new perspective.

Get some beers and a friend and try it out. If you don't have any friends that play, pick one that is somewhat interested in playing and teach him/her some simple stuff on your guitar.

And most important, DON'T give up. You'll get to the next step and the playing gets fun again.

Good luck.

/Missen

If you love what you do, there's no need to be good at it...

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText"><b>petermiss wrote on Fri, 13 April 2007 09&#58;52</b></td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
Hi Dezill!

When I level out I alwas call my friend or my sis and fix a simple jamming session. The friend is a semi pro and my sis knows less than me. <b>I've noticed that one great way of learning things is to teach your knowledge to someone else. You have to force your brain to think in new ways to teach and that gives you new perspective.</b>
</td></tr></table>

This is great advice.

I find that just learning a new song or even something as simple as a new strumming pattern is PROGRESS! Some people just want to go to fast. Playing any instrument takes time, effort, and hard work.

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

I have always had the occasional lesson. My teacher got me started so I know some chords and such. Now every time I have a lesson it opens a new door for me as, being quite a quick learner and someone who practices every day, we never cover the same ground twice. He'll just say, have you thought of doing this...? and we're off again.

I wouldn't be where I am now without this input but, it's true that if the guy were just my freind we wouldn't call what we do lessons, we'd just call it messing around and learning stuff. I like to think that's what life is all about. ;o) Unfortunately I don't have any freinds who live near enough who could teach me anything about guitar.

Denzil.

I had that same problem with a levelling of skills and more importantly, a levelling of inspiration at about the same stage. 

I was stuck too because most people I knew where into folk music (which is ok, I don't dislike folk music).  A work colleague asked me along to the Irish Club for their jam sessions.  It proved that musicians across all genres have one thing in common, the love of music.

I reckon all the advice posted is very good and has been advised to me at some point even though I still miss the odd barre chord here and there.

Try penning your own stuff.  I put together some rubbish songs on scrap paper and then they get buried in the top draw somewhere, but it chnaged the thought process a bit, then reality takes over and it's back to the office. 

Good luck and keep at it, it'll come together quiet nicely.

You should of course keep working on barre chords. If the way you hold it is harmming your playing(and your thumb) maybe you should change it before you are to set in your ways. In the meantime try some stuff you don't know. some classical fingerstyle stuff or explore different techniques for lead or get to know your electric, might end up being fairly good friends.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm