Topic: Backyard gatherings and bonfires... it's that time again!

In America, I think Memorial Day weekend officially starts things rolling.  In our cooler climates like here in NY, it's when people officially feel safe planting gardens (no more fear of frost), opening up their pools, and getting the grills going if they haven't already.  I'll be at my Dad's house Saturday for the first one of the year.  I was hoping he'd be feeling well enough to play his guitar a little, although I hear his left arm has been acting up.  I have a feeling it may be up to me to start the summer off.  I knew this day would come.  The pressure is on!  I think the old timers would look at me like I was crazy if I brought my laptop or cell phone out to read music from, and I'm not so sure it's going to be easy to see my music in the dark!  Any good suggestions for memorizing or cheat sheets or something that'll help me out with keeping the lyrics and chords straight to the songs I know, but don't know by heart???  HELP!  smile  (maybe I need to just bring a flashlight along!)  smile

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Backyard gatherings and bonfires... it's that time again!

I have the same problem as you ,what I do is were a headlite that has an elastic strap,you are able to aim it  most anyplace you point your head get them at Wal Mart,Home Depot ,etc. Have a great holiday ,and remember the men and women who gave their lives for our freedom on this special day...Larry smile

Headlamp.

Bring your sheets, lay the book on a spare chair or stool, use clothespins to keep the pages from turning in the breeze, and wear a headlamp to see it.  Just don't look anyone straight in the face or you'll blind them. 

For memorizing, I find it's easier to memorize the patterns by section.  Get the verse, the chorus, and the bridge each separately.  Nail them down.  Then when it's time to play, you only have to remember one thing, which is whether you're playing a chorus, verse, or bridge, rather than having to remember each individual chord change. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Or do like Dirty Ed and just pull songs out of the deep recesses of your mind on a whim. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Clothespins!  I would have NEVER thought of that!  EXCELLENT!  I'm not sure about the headlamp though... hmmmm... that might make me look very uncool, and it is paramount that I look cool!  ha ha ha!  My TEEN will be there, and he doesn't need any more reasons to pick on me for my lack of coolness.  There may actually be a spare booklight around here somewhere.  That might work along with the clothespins.  I have made a point to set up the pages in my binder so that no page turning is necessary in the middle of a song.  At least that's ONE plus I've already got on my side.  smile

THANK YOU for the ideas!  I'm not sure there's enough time for me to memorize too much.  I just printed out "Rock Island Line"... I have no idea if I'll be able to play this and let Dad sing without totally screwing it up, but it's one of his "usuals".  My Dad does what Dirty Ed does... he just pulls them out of nowhere, and there's probably thousands of songs stuck in there.  I probably don't even have 50 in my binder sad 

Just changed my strings (I HATE the ultra light nanowebs... sooo happy I put the 12's back on!) and added toothpicks to tighten the THREE screws coming loose from the tuner pegs.  WOW.  Now, the guitar is clean and ready for a little breaking in before Saturday!  YEE HAW!  Ok, back to it I go (the house cleaning can wait till later).

Heya Amy,

One thing that can really help remembering chords is, most songs follow a pattern for the verses and a pattern for the chorus. Folk songs don't have a Chorus so they are the same progression all day long.

I try to remember what key I play a song in and the progression such as 1, 4   1  4,  1 4 5. The One chord in the key of G is G and C is four and D is Five chord.

Or like the song we did "Speed of The Sound of Loneliness" is a 1 4 5  all day long G C D. Once you know the progression and key you will hear where your chord changes are and you will be 1/2 way home. Then just pound the lyrics till you get them. Try to get a couple songs down like this and keep adding one along the line and you will have a set list smile

Later, Wayne P

How dare you even consider that a headlamp would be uncool?  Use one camping and you will discover that they are the coolest things ever.  I would rather forget my pillow than my headlamp. 

But, given a clear lack of taste on the matter of outdoorsy coolness, another option for you is to use a shepherds hook like you'd use for sticking in the ground and hanging a potted plant, except hang a small lantern from it.  You can then keep your hair in a perfect state of wind-blown dishevelment. 

- Zurf

One of my daughters and husband and two grandkids are here this weekend.  We just decided to barbque today and of course, I will have to bring out the guitar.  Looking forward to it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Zurf wrote:

Or do like Dirty Ed and just pull songs out of the deep recesses of your mind on a whim. 

- Zurf

Thanks Zurf.

What recesses I have aren't very deep though.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I use a book light and two large elastic bands around my song book to hold it open in place. A little late for your weekend, but try it next time.
JV

Here you go!! Video
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/crazyoldcoot/th_Video3.jpg

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Awesome!  Loved it Deadstring.  Your timing is impeccable.

- Zurf

13 (edited by badeye 2011-05-26 21:56:17)

Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

cool,     badeye   cool

one caper after another

deadstring wrote:

Here you go!! Video
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ … Video3.jpg

See, I wasn't imagining THAT!  Now THAT is cool!  Hmmm, but I'll have to find my hat... I think have one somewhere around here!  LOL!  I am SUCH a GIRL!  Ha ha!
Here I was picturing some horrid large contraption on my head for all to laugh at.  More like this uncool looking thing:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/Mmn7c_vDTL7L4Akn4UKhcQY-f78LJ3F9hscdUh41csiMERkCspPQT9AOAVTrnlepuifezz1w5R2iP1kIOgqOK5jcPK_vmYq6lk48Gn1FodrIPL92aVuDZfVWFU-eCP_NK8B8YlZw_cYIpuAVzwzOXxoqEvO8C6SUlYXp5c6rsCMwp0MVzKUA

OK... I'm going to Wal-Mart today, maybe I will find one that'll work!  That sure would be easier than fighting with a book light.  Although, the good ole Shepherds Hook ... I'll bet Dad has one of those laying around, add a good ole Railroad Lantern and we could light up the whole back yard!  LOL!

I was playing at a campsite in New Zealand using a little reading lamp suspended by a chord from my neck. My battery started to go so a local fisherman got a big, tall kerosene lamp from his boat and set it on a tree stump. I opened my book next to it and was good to go.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Good story Toots!

Ok... so I bought a $4.88 headlamp yesterday.  I figure, I'd better try a cheap-o out before I spend too much on something I'm not sure I'll use.  I also found that extra book light that was laying around the house.  Now... if the sun will come out from behind those rainclouds, we might have a good day/evening for some fun.  I'll be at Dad's rain or shine, and the guitar will be along either way as well.  Here's hoping if we end up inside, that it's not too crowded.  Turns out the Teen isn't coming along after all... so now I only have to worry about being cool in front of my Fashion Designer (aka 6 yr old DIVA!) lol

Hope everyone has a GREAT Memorial Weekend!!  For those overseas... it's the day we celebrate ALL those lost that have served in the US Military, during war times or not.  Monday is the official holiday.  My son will be walking in the Parade this year in his Sea Cadets white uniform.  I'm proud!  smile

Have great week end and by all means be proud.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

mkmjust get one like you pictured and an army hard helmet,you will look like a soldier,pretty good for memorial day.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman