Topic: Soloing - Write 'em or Improv?

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong forum.

Just a question for all the lead guitar players and/or soloists out there:

Do you typically write out your solos or part of your solos, or just improvise the whole thing? I'm always curious about this as I'm a big improv guy. I love taking the risks on stage...most of the time I crap up a lick or two but it really keeps things fresh to do as much improvisation as humanly possible.

-Joe

Re: Soloing - Write 'em or Improv?

the few I do know I have mostly got from tablature,most the time you pick up the pattern after some practice.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I love a solo guitarist who's scale knowledge and familiarity with the guitar neck allows him to play a solo differently every time. This entertains his fellow bandmates who have played that same song thousands of times. It is so refreshing to hear.
I never worked up the chops to give me that wonderful freedom to completely improvise. I had to memorize any and all solos and play them note for note every time. BORING!
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

live I always improvise I never play a solo the same way twice unless its for a recording where I may reinforce the solo with a specific interval but I can also do that live with my Boss ME-50 harmonizing feature and changing up on a solo keeps it fresh and fun smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I wish I could improvise them willy nilly, but I tend to stay with whatever is comfortable.

Someday, though, I will reach Russell Harding levels of cool.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Just make em up as I go along never found it to difficult.
Some riffs though need some work when recording though never tab them just got them in old noodle for a while.
ark

I've been playing guitar about a year (coming from piano background), and I do both. I created a 12-bar blues riff that works with Q/C or standard, w/ turnaround. I am learning to play that note-for-note, and am hoping to tab it soon, but may settle for recording it into my phone smile Also, I have mini-licks of 3 or 4 notes that I have memorized, that I mix up constantly, to play while I'm thinking up something new to try. I guess that's probably how alot of us do that. I am rarely prone to memorizing the complete tab of someone else's work note for note (I don't gig, just living room stuff w/ one other guitar player). It's a lot like piano, a headful of memorized mini-licks that always have some improv thrown into the mix. --Deb