Re: How do you describe yourself (musically)?

Like Pete, I feel I am a decent beginner (as opposed to being an indecent beginner). Those people thay can't play at all say I am OK, those that can play usually offer some good advice, feels good either way and that is what playing a guitar is all about, feeling good.

All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

Beginner.  I've only been playing for about 10 months.  Getting a lot of encouragement from friends and family, though, and feel like I've made some advancements.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

I suck.... big_smile

I'd say I'm a decent beginner as well... I'm a good player at my style of play but need to expand my repertoire to be more comfortable playing styles outside my comfort zone. Overall I'm happy with where I'm at though. I can play most songs I come across reasonably well within a few minutes and can follow along with most other players on a whim... My weakness is lead, I don't play it smile I'll throw in little riffs and turn arounds to add interest to the piece but that's about it unless I've been working with it. My biggest hold up is probably vocals sad  (Too much practice alone with the words only in my head) I do ok at home or with a few friends but I still get real nervous playing with people I've just met or don't jam with regularly.  Takes a lot of convincing to get me to lead a song vocally in a play-a-long setting big_smile A beer or 2 would probably help that but I don't drink...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I,m rubbish but then again everything I've done before is crap so "rubbish" is a slight improvement.Hell no,Ive changed my mind im brilliant,Clapton,Slash et all...eat your hearts out.Seriously though im trying to get my strumming to Folsom Prison sounding like a train,you know "drivin along".Will i succeed???

Brand new. I started playing a year ago, so I should be okay I guess, but... *sighs* ...I've got a long way to go.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

I'm an old hack. Played brass horns in high school. Didn't start on guitar until I was 26. I'm just a strummer. I play fill, walk-ups and some lead by rote.
Played guitar/vocals and trumpet/trombone in bar room bands for 24 years.
Been playing tuba/rhythm guitar/vocals in a trop rock group for the last 12 years. I'm almost 70 and ugly as the North end of a South bound dog.
Time for me to retire from paying gigs and just jam out for beers.
I have always enjoyed playing a wide variety of music (make that off-the-wall). I collect funny songs to play to adult groups and popular oldie hits to teach newbie guitarists. Still fun after all these years.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

You've got the right attitude, toots.  I'm 60 and really enjoy playing for myself and family, but I also like to play with others at barbques.  Playing for beers is good

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Beginner sissified folk pop with delusions of adequacy.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I still think of myself as a beginner; someone who just wanted to get good enough to entertain myself and my grandkids.  Then I went to an open mic and got kind of caught up in the whole thing.  I continue to pick it up nearly every day and I am getting better, but I still think I am a beginner.   

I must be getting a little better because the last few times I have been with others sitting around kind of jamming I am getting more and more comments about how good they think I am doing for no longer than I have been at it.  Bottom line is: I like it!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Maybe "Underachiever" is an appropriate description for me!

Bruised beginner...

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I'm kinda like the guy that has played golf for years but still can't break 90 for 18 holes.  I enjoy playing, but will never be considered "good". 

Years ago I tried playing at a few local bars.  I found that if I played songs people knew, they would soon figure out I wasn't very good, so I tried finding obscure songs to play but invariably someone in the audience would be familiar with the song and know I was butchering it.  Next I began writing songs and attributing them to my friend "D.E. Howard" (my knick-name Dirty Ed combined with my middle name), and told the audience that if they didn't like the songs I'd tell ol' DE that he sucked.  I haven't played anywhere but open mics and creek banks for the last 25 years but still about 95% of what I play is what I've written, so who knows if I'm playing it wrong?

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Well Dirty Ed, I played your first album on shuttle runs for those boys from Nashville a few years ago and they both thought you were, and I quote, "A pretty good picker."   'Course, neither one of them played guitar. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I think I am a fairly good guitar player,I can do alot of things people in bands can not do.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I think I'm a so-so player..... with lots of bad habits that I have picked up over the years that I wish I could shake.
Still lots of time though...:)

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Funny, everyone doubts their abilities. I bet each and every person that has posted is better than they think they are.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Zguitar, that's what I was wondering by asking the question.

We probably tout ourselves purposely as being less than we are.  That way, if we do post a song someday, and someone says how good it was, then we feel better.  It's normal, I think.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I'd rather hang out with a bunch of humble guitar players than snobs though... but I agree and was laughing especially when some of the guys who have been playing for a LONG time claimed "beginner" status.  smile  Love you all!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Overstating our guitar prowess is a loser thing to do. We all know guitarists who can tear us a new one so it is wise to be conservative in our claims of musical competence.
We all have days where we feel good about our progress. That has to be enough of a reward for hard work.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

46 (edited by Ray Melton 2011-07-01 04:31:31)

Mmmm....its really hard to say....fair to ok I guess...I know a lot of songs that most people know ..and a lot they wouldnt..none of them very hard.. I love songs that tell stories , I am mainly rythm with an imbellish here and there but I keep it simple..so ..where does that put one ??...like most people here have said , you think you are ok till you hear someone that is...I've had people way more experienced than me that I held in awe say " You have songs with tricky rhythm patterns !! " NOOO way I say , I just plays em..and then I actually took notice of what I was doing, and he was right...so again..where does that put you? I really think I'm very average most of the time...but sometimes late at night in my own lounge room , I swear I'm awesome lol ...all relative I guess..:)

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

I dont care,i play awsome to myself and love it wink

Mother nature can throw so much destruction at us.....But why does she always reward us with such beauty.

48 (edited by JJ ember 2011-07-01 16:03:24)

I am a begginer as well. I have been only playing for a year, But I have the ability to play by ear so I am ahead of most things and I have some experiance in playing for crowds. I sing as well as play. Thge biggest crowd I have played guitar for was about close to fifty and as far as singing about three hundred. I hope I don't sound like i'm boasting, I don't mean too.

Without music life would be a journey through a desert.

I Cor 14:15

I would have to say determined. If not for determination it would be former.