Topic: Ugh.

I've been doing Tequila Sunrise for a while.  I don't have it memorized, but I've got a nice rhythm going on that G shuffle thing at the beginning that sounds OK.  So along comes Normtheguitar with his competence and high-quality playing to give me some encouragement to improve and so I figure I'll try a little Carter-picking thing where I play a little bit of the melody on the bass line as I strum rhythm.  I picked Tequila Sunrise because it's "real easy."  Yeah.  So, I'm about to throw my metronome out the window and I'm beginning to question the wisdom of having ever permitted Normtheguitar into my house. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Ugh.

Just one of the problems we face when we play with a better guitarist, which is most of the time for me.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Baby steps Zurf. You know all about the practice, practice, practice thing. I think Norm has a few years on you also, so I'm assuming he's been playing longer. Just think about how much more accomplishment you will feel because you are getting that much more frustrated. You'll get it. Patience young Zurfwalker.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Zurf, Sorry you are frustrated but give it time. We suffer from a lack of patience
  Zurfwalker(good one Z !) and the better we get the more the impatience increases.
  Focus on the good parts, the ones that help you improve. Your hard work and desire
  has got you to this point so far and you will continue I'm sure.

I've been working on Pancho and Lefty recently. The lead lick contains a cascading
  lick made of diatonic(2 notes simultaneous) run down I can play but not at the speed
  needed. Like you I have to remember to go slow and gradually increase the speed.

Good luck.  Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

I am trying to get the same one papaguitar.  Pancho and lefty.  That intro is all thats holding me back.  been practicing it for two weeks plus and can't seem to get the speed or the smoothness of it.  This is the intro I am learning, albeit slowly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQcDOGFn … A256306B39

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Shoot, make up an intro you can play easily or skip the darn intro and just play the song.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

wut Tuba said.

Nela

That's what I do!!!

Zurfwalker, you should insist that Obi-Norm Kenobi returns to complete the training of his Padawan.

smile Roger smile

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

10 (edited by dino48 2011-08-28 16:56:38)

Rogers right,maybe you should do that and also visit Yoda. Meanwhile for some easy lead picking songs you might try My girl, Down on the corner (credence). these are easy and sound good.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Tequila Sunrise is easy.  All the lead notes are either on the fourth fret, the second fret, or open string.  It's trying to fit it all together with the strum pattern in a Carter style thing that makes it hard.  The Eagles had a country-tinged rock song with it.  I'm trying to take it all the way Country.  There's no sense in doing what the Eagles already did.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I should have said "easy" with the quotes and not easy without.  It's not easy at all, but compared to other lead parts I've seen, it's ... not as difficult. 

- Zurf

Zurf, I think the main problem is the simple fact that you don't have extra invisible fingers like the amazing Obi-Norm Kenobi.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

Zurf, I think the main problem is the simple fact that you don't have extra invisible fingers like the amazing Obi-Norm Kenobi.  wink

You have put your finger on it (so to speak). 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

Tequila Sunrise is easy.  All the lead notes are either on the fourth fret, the second fret, or open string.

- Zurf

I notice that in your little picture on the left there, with the fretboard and the verboten symbol, that you've dis-allowed most all of these notes...  smile

Now available in 5G !

The only thing I've forbidden is all of those notes TOGETHER in the B chord.  Individually, they are very nice and pleasant notes.  It's not until they get together and form a less perfect union that they become obnoxious and uncontrollable. 

- Zurf

I haven't looked at this forum for some time, so I had no idea what a can of worms I seem to have opened up! Zguitar is correct - I do have a lot more years playing experience than Zurf, about 30yrs to be precise! I feel like I should be much more advanced than I am. Basically, I have no idea (on a technical level) what I'm doing - it's pretty much basic chords. But I try to add in a bit of the melody here and there to glue it all together. I tend to work on a song until there is some sort of flow to it, without too many clunkingly obvious chord changes - some songs never get to this stage! We all have a style that comes more naturally to us, I think. When I try to play in other styles myself, it's usually really hard work!
Keep at it, Mr Z, you will get there!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I had set this song aside for a while to work on other things.  Now I suppose I shall have to resurrect it.  These things have a way of working themselves back around with unintentional reminders of this sort.  I've been working on scales and dexterity exercises again, so hopefully things will have a happier ending than last time. 

- Zurf

If I put a difficult song on the back burner and come back to it, I find I can do it a little better after the pause.  Sometimes.

bensonp wrote:

Just one of the problems we face when we play with a better guitarist, which is most of the time for me.

DITTO !!!!!!!!!!!!!