Topic: Novo NGD para-me

I have just treated myself to this Yamaha EG112 guitar:

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7006/6395488927_12d9589de3_z.jpg

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7147/6395515601_826b370982_z.jpg

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7151/6395523309_9e7f842fb2_z.jpg

OK so I cannot play it yet. I need a new pickguard, 2 single pickups, one humbucker, pots, knobs and switch but first I have to sort out the body.

I am hoping that a good sanding will bring it back to the natural wood colour, the dark stain is awful and if I cannot get rid of it then I have to decide between Surf Green or a bright Red paint job.

As I have to get new pickups does anyone have any suggestions on which ones I should go for?

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: Novo NGD para-me

Sweet, Surf Green for me Please

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

You may need to apply some paint stripper to heave the old stain up and out of the wood fibers.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

nothing like a good project to keep you busy!  Happy NGD!  Exciting to see what you turn it into!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I am thinking red.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

My daughter's Yamaha Pacifica has HSH setup which I enjoy.  Also, I'm particular to satin finish.  It seems more slippery.  Whatever you go with it seems like you picked a nice one and I bet it will be fun to play.  Be sure to post your progress.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w140/AccoustikNoyz/P1080288-1.jpg

Good deal Roger. I envy you guys,gals, that take on these guitar projects. At some point I may attempt one.

I see this guitar with a butcher block look. smile      Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

The setup for this is H-S-S and it does not have a conventional Strat pickguard. I have located and ordered a correct one in white pearl I found on e-Bay, however it is coming from China so I have everything crossed that it will actually arrive. As a back up plan I do have a template for one but I prefer not to have to make it.

I intend to make a slight modification and fit a switch between the volume and tone knobs to allow me to switch the humbucker to a single coil for more versatility.

This photo is one I found on the Internet to show the guitar configuation. Strange how they all seem to be black, I can assure you that it is not a colour I would choose, black take too much cleaning.

Roger.

http://images04.olx.com.ph/ui/2/28/40/34022840_1.jpg

If the switch is a five position it should turn the humbucker in to a single coil if it is in the second position. The good thing about finding a cheap guitar is you can spend some money and make it real good. I am thinking if putting a single-coil sized seymour duncan humbucker in the neck position on my Behringer.

If the 5 position switch is in the second position I believe that the neck pickup is switched off, but I will look into that.

I have started sanding the body down, it may not be obvious from this picture but the stain has penetrated the grain and in places it looks dirty so I have got to try to lift it out someway.

Roger

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7158/6413158547_9395f28456.jpg

hi rog, this is just a suggestion and you can shoot me down in flames if you like, but i did a paint job in the house where i had to strip down some old, dark paint which had penetrated deep. when i couldnt get it all out i painted a white matt paint and let that sink in, then stained. the result was...interesting!

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Roger Guppy wrote:

If the 5 position switch is in the second position I believe that the neck pickup is switched off, but I will look into that.

I have started sanding the body down, it may not be obvious from this picture but the stain has penetrated the grain and in places it looks dirty so I have got to try to lift it out someway.

Roger

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7158/6413 … f28456.jpg

Strip-eze paste is gooey and nasty but it will heave the stain up and out.
I restored a wooden boat (mucho varnish) and a 1916 house all woodwork varnished). Heavy bodied strip paste is applied with a bristle brush. Time it to start removal just before the paste starts to dry.The resulting goo is removed with a damp rag and sanded clean.
Wear heavy rubber gloves because that stuff burns.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

It looks better already rodger,looks like you will have a nice guitar for a low price and some re-working etc.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I always thought that the 5 way switch position 1 to 5 changed from (1)neck to (2)neck/middle to (3)neck/middle/bridge to (4)middle/bridge and to (5)bridge. Shows how wrong one can be.

Side 2 wiring seems best to get as much use of the humbucker as is possible.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7158/6427427177_a284ac0e9b_z.jpg

This is the configuration for my guitar so if I connect the taped off red/white wire through a switch to earth I can ground one of the series wired humbucker pair and be left with a single if I want it to sound like a standard strat.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6220/6427427647_a14b667f66_z.jpg

This is the first time I have wired a guitar from scratch and I am still in the planning stage, waiting for parts to arrive so any comments/observations are appreciated.

Roger

Sorry guys I was wrong...My Behringer set up is this: 5) Full humbucker 4) second hum coil and middle single coil 3) middle coil only. 2) middle coil and neck coil 1) neck coil only.

bunbun wrote:

Sorry guys I was wrong...My Behringer set up is this: 5) Full humbucker 4) second hum coil and middle single coil 3) middle coil only. 2) middle coil and neck coil 1) neck coil only.

There is absolutely no need for an apology I welcome your comments, suggestions and ideas and I was most definitely not suggesting that your comment was wrong.

Having spent some time looking into pickup wiring and I have found that manufactures have many different ways of wiring up their guitars. It is a bit of a minefield.

Doing this from scratch gives me the oportunity to have it the way that I want and, although I like the idea of having a guitar that is switchable from S-S-S to H-S-S so that I have two guitars in one, I am open to suggestions and other ideas which is why I have posted this here for comment.

Roger

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Strip-eze paste is gooey and nasty but it will heave the stain up and out.
I restored a wooden boat (mucho varnish) and a 1916 house all woodwork varnished). Heavy bodied strip paste is applied with a bristle brush. Time it to start removal just before the paste starts to dry.The resulting goo is removed with a damp rag and sanded clean.
Wear heavy rubber gloves because that stuff burns.
toots

I have not heard of Strip-eze here but today I am out hunting for it or an equivalent as I really fancy a natural finish.

Phill, thanks for the idea but if I cannot have it natural timber it will be painted, probably bright red as I always wanted Hank Marvin's when I was a youngster. I did really like my surf green J&D strat copy that was stolen so, if it comes to it, I will have to make a choice later.

Roger

18 (edited by beamer 2011-11-30 22:42:25)

Here is a great way to get the wood done, I did this with an office door.

If you have a sunny day close by, bleach it.  I used streight bleach on the wood, set in the sun.  then fine sanded it.  it was beautiful.

Oh if you go with paint,,, Im a big fan of auto quality spray cans.  Duplicolor is very good. wet sand between each coat. tack cloth.  It buffs up super bright and the clear coat is non yellowing.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I can never find a garage sale ax to play with :-(

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

You have too go an hour or two before they say too come,things like that go fast ,my last sale we had people where outside in the dark waiting for us too set up.

21 (edited by bunbun 2011-12-01 06:46:43)

beamer wrote:

I have a friend who's wife found a Strat copy for 25 bucks at a garage sale. I just re-strung it for him in hopes I can get him to play. My neighbor found a Behringer 75 watt modeling amp at a garage sale for 50 bucks! I looked and looked but no luck...Until I stumbled upon my Behringer at GC for 60 bucks.

Funny thing about my Behringer is I've seen a bunch of reviews about how it does not stay in tune. When I got it I found out the tone was not working. I opened it up and found that the knob was not secured (possibly the reason it was sold in the condition it is in: Very good). I secured it and the knob works. While I did that I tightened the bridge and the tuning machines. I have no problems with it going out of tune now.

I think if you find a "bad" guitar a little TLC will get it working fine.

Well the pickguard arrived from China, the used pickups from the UK so I now have a new/old guitar that sounds even better than I expected. I am a happy bunny smile.

Roger

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7023/6621280101_c37afafe26_z.jpg

hank won then rog?

phill

as mark knopfler said " kill to get crimson"  good album have a listen

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Looks great Roger!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

That's a really nice job Roger, you must be chuffed!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live