Topic: Best componets to ..

...Build a new tower computer?

I think that my laptop is reaching its limit as far as home recording.

has anyone built a computer for heavy multi media use.  I would still be using it as a daily, but anyone got advice on processors  sound cards etc.... Pleas try to keep it in laymans terms.  I think Ill be buying it piece by piece and have someone put it all together.

Once again,, Thanks!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: Best componets to ..

Fast disk and lots of I/O.  If you're going to be using lots of onboard effects, then the biggest multi-core processor you can afford.  If you can afford it, buy into two external disk arrays.  One configured RAID-0 for recording, and the other configured RAID-1 or RAID-5 configuration for long term storage after you record.  You'll also want to pay attention to cooling, and buy quiet fans for the power supply and CPU. 

Take a look at these just to get an idea of the specifications you'll want to target.

I do every thing on a Mac mini, which is quiet, although I wish it had more USB available.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I use a Gateway I picked up at an auction it only cost 100 dollars has pleanty of ram and I plug my Boss BR-8 direct to the line in input if you want to spend the money thats fine but there are other options to get a nice recording but I did invest over $800 on the BR-8 new and its worth every penny smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

You can build a great computer to suit from scratch. I agree with the multi-core CPU and would also look into getting a top-notch recording sound card. If you are planning on using it for gaming, movies, or just wish to have a great display you also want to look into getting a good graphics card. Nvidia and AMD come to mind.

The best CPU's out right now are the Intel Core i7's. There may be ones out there that claim they are faster but the i7's are proven for their speed in gaming. (I am an AMD fan myself but the i7's are much better as of now.)

Be sure to get plenty of power supply for your rig. The more fans you have, the more power you will need. Everything will need to go through your power supply. And, as mentioned above, cooling. I have had two computers die due to heat from intensive graphics needs while gaming. Water-cooled rigs are the rage but there is nothing that says they are superior to air-cooled.

Also make sure you have plenty of RAM.

If you are going to use multiple hard drives you may want to look into a solid state drive along with a "normal" drive. The solid state drives cost a little bit more and they don't carry as much memory as comparably priced disc drives but they are virtually instantaneous.

The best place to shop on-line is Newegg.com. Many of my fellow gamers have dealt with them with great results. DO NOT go to Best Buy. If you want to go to a shop go to Fry's. Newegg is the best for cost and service.

Thanks for the info.

Im not a big gamer. Heck I have to fight  for time to get any music done.   A few more specifics?

"I agree with the multi-core CPU and would also look into getting a top-notch recording sound card" 
OK what is a top notch sound card for that?  multi core CPU, just lookaround?  how do I know what I am getting?

and lots of I/O. I am assumeing this is IN and outs .. is this for the sound card? 

and I guess the OS needs to be bought also? So thats about 400.   HMMMM I gotta really think this out.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I/O is actually for the disk drive.  As you record, you will fill up memory and the CPU will be busy processing your audio signal.  When it's done the signal has to be written to disk.  The faster the computer can write to disk,  the smaller amount of memory you have to allocate. This has impacts on latency, and also the number of simultaneous tracks you'll be able to track at once.

If all you are going to record is one or two (or three) tracks simultaneously, it probably won't make much difference.  If you are going to do live tracking (say, with your buddies and some beer) it should be worth the investment.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]