Topic: Am i ready to be in a band yet?

Hi there,

Well i've been playing guitar (acoustic) since christmas and have mastered the basic chords. I can also now play barre chords but still haven't mastered the movement between them yet although i'm getting there.

I practise every day for atleast 45 minutes and i love playing with a passion.

Me and a mate have started a band called The Fierce Excitement (http://www.myspace.com/thefierceexcitement - we don't have any songs up) but we haven't practised as a group as yet, we've decided to wait till after our exams have finished (end of this month).

I'm going to be playing rhythm guitar and will also be on vocals but i just wanted your opinion on this.

Thanks.

Re: Am i ready to be in a band yet?

Hi,
Well I think it is never too early for anything just as it is never too late.
Even if you and your band cannot do things perfect just now, stick together and make some noise, if you all like it, you got a song.
You can help each other out and learn what parts you have to learn for certain songs you want to write.

good luck

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Naw it is not to early i just started electric at x-mas but yet i do practice for hours each day but im allready in 3 bands. It can never be to early it can only be to late as who you want might get snatched by andother band and stick with just that so good on you getting a band going:)

Dude go for it its now or never i'm not in a band but i've been playing since last year september and i've been playing acoustic and elctric so just be a good band member and don't be an idiot other wise your band won't last and jamiey1 how are you in 3 bands

Only you know if you are ready. If you and your mates like to play together then you're ready. When you guys feel ready to perform then have a bash at it. You will know when the time is right.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Thanks alot for your responses guys, really appreciate it.

It isn't too early... you are lucky if you are starting a band with people at the same musical level as you.  I was in a band with beginners, so I had to teach them all how to play before I would learn any songs with them...it was a mess.

My guitars: Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogony and Ibanez AE40 TEL acoustic.
My equipment: Peavey 100w combo (198?) and an ancient (1970's?) Crate 100w combo. A PODxt.

If I were you, having the same knowledge and mastering at least a bunch of chords, I WOULDN'T hesitate. If you have friends who play as well: GO FOR IT.
I play about 30 years, I am not a liar when I tell you that what I am and can play isn't that bad, but when I had the occasion to play along with others, or just with a friend, you play at least 50% better than when you play alone. So go for it and follow the rhythm section.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]