You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-23 16:44:03

Rabid

Fat Neck

I’ve been learning the guitar I was loaned (acoustic classical) for about a year now. By now I’m pretty sure I’ve finally cemented all the bad habits I’ve developed from lack of instruction. I strum/pick chords/notes with my thumb while my pinky/ring are braced on the body. There is too much real-estate on the neck to finger those pure and fat F and B bar codes so I play alternatives that sound close enough to my ear.

I’m buying an electric and researching some hollow-bodies, sniffing around the Epiphone Dot. But I don’t like the skinny necks, and I can’t find any electrics that have the classical-size.  I was considering an electric-classical, but that’s nothing more than a louder version of the guitar I already have. Redundant.

Maybe there is a question in those paragraphs.

#2 2012-03-23 17:09:05

Russell_Harding
Alien moderator
Website

Re: Fat Neck

I think the time spent learning how to play the "pure" bar chords is equal to the time you will spend learning how to play with a thinner neck so if you like the classical guitar I would recomend working on those "beasties" smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

#3 2012-03-23 20:36:35

arkady
ambient moderator
Website

Hi Rabid
Welcome to Chordie.
An Acoustic electric with a wide neck can sound as loud as you want plugged into an amp and with the proper FX can sound just like an electric guitar.
An electric guitar would have to be plugged into amp anyway so maybe stick with an acoustic electric if you feel more comfortable with a wider neck.
ark

#4 2012-03-24 02:03:33

beamer
THE METALIZER

Rabid wrote:

I’ve been learning the guitar I was loaned (acoustic classical) for about a year now. By now I’m pretty sure I’ve finally cemented all the bad habits I’ve developed from lack of instruction. I strum/pick chords/notes with my thumb while my pinky/ring are braced on the body. There is too much real-estate on the neck to finger those pure and fat F and B bar codes so I play alternatives that sound close enough to my ear.

I’m buying an electric and researching some hollow-bodies, sniffing around the Epiphone Dot. But I don’t like the skinny necks, and I can’t find any electrics that have the classical-size.  I was considering an electric-classical, but that’s nothing more than a louder version of the guitar I already have. Redundant.

Maybe there is a question in those paragraphs.

I might be wrong, but my SG has a pretty wide neck. go check out a Epiphone G400.  I know its fatter than a strat or a tele.

Last edited by beamer (2012-03-24 02:04:46)

Mal - Well, lady, I must say, you're my kinda stupid.
Mal - Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that
Kaylee - No power in the verse can stop me. BOOK-  you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theatre.

Board footer