Topic: Where to start gigging.

I've been playing acoustic guitar for some months now, after a long break. I also have singing lessons. My singing teacher now says I'm good enough to start gigging. What's the best place for novices to start? pubs maybe? I play mostly folk music, nothing heavy, am pretty good apparently at it too. so just wondering who would appreciate this type of music the most? preferably somewhere that will pay expenses at least. smile

Also anyone know if English pubs in spain would go for this type of thing?

Insanity is just a natural adaption to an insane world.

Re: Where to start gigging.

Bo,

I can see you do gigs such as Art Gallery opening, Small Pubs, and/or Art Fair. 

Good luck!

Thanks for that! I never thought of art gallery's/fairs. It's the right time of the year for it too. At the moment I play when I go to classic Volkswagen venues,(hence the avatar) they seem to like it there, but want to branch out to other places.

English pubs in Spain tend to play disco hits and karaoke. Look out for pubs with singers or open mike nights and folk clubs. Make sure you have some solid gold crowd pleasers handy as pubs can be demanding.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

cytania wrote:

English pubs in Spain tend to play disco hits and karaoke. Look out for pubs with singers or open mike nights and folk clubs. Make sure you have some solid gold crowd pleasers handy as pubs can be demanding.

Thanks for that. More good ideas. I've just got one gig for my daughters local bownies! lol Good place to start.

6 (edited by mhebert 2007-05-15 01:39:56)

If you were to ask Badeye he would tell you that the best place is in your kitchen with friends and beer!

Of course I would also love to visit the pubs in spain...... need a manager?

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe