Topic: Healing music

Good stuff!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … KDXuCE7LeQ

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Healing music

Very cool!  Thank you so much for sharing Z!  Music surely is powerful.  My daughter has mild autism.  She loves life, but when she sings a song that she adores you can really FEEL how much she loves it.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I've told this story on here before, but it seems an appropriate place to tell it again.  When I was a young buck, maybe 15 or 16 years old, I played bass trombone and upright bass in a stage band.  We played the crazy, fun stuff of the big band era.  The only gig we could ever get was at Susque-View, which was a 'home' attached to a hospital in my home town.  We didn't get paid, but it was a gig.  The home was a good one, with a caring staff.  It was clean, well organized, and provided good care.  When my grandmother died, she died in that home.  So once every few months we'd go up there and play some of our songs that we'd been working on.  The candy stripers and nurses would wheel patients/residents in.  Many of them were confined to wheelchairs or bed.  The two folks who stuck in my mind the most was a gray old lady who was so weak that she couldn't sit up.  If they propped the bed up, they had to strap her in or gravity would pull her down to a slump.  She waggled a finger at a nurse and asked to have the blankets pulled off her feet.  "You're feet will get cold."  "I don't mind.  Just pull the blankets off."  The nurse did, and we in the band nearly cried.  She wanted to tap her toes together but the blankets were too heavy.  It's the closest she could come to dancing, and by God she was going to DANCE!  Another woman had had several strokes and was completely paralyzed but for her right wrist.  She could move her right hand just a little bit.  She was strapped into an electric wheelchair that had all the controls on the right for her.  She got that wheelchair into a dance floor of her own making and danced with it just moving her wrist to the beat. 

I agree with the Henry in the video.  Music is a gift from above. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That was great, Z! Thanks for bringing it to the forum.

Really great stories.  Music is a healer.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

That was so sweet. Thanks!

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

zurf that was a powerfull story,it really shows the power that music has.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Strange that this should come up as my friend Howard was telling me only a couple of days ago about his time in America some years ago when he bought only the second karaoke system to be sold there.

He was asked to do a gig at a veterans care home and one wheelchair bound young man started singing to the songs. The staff were amazed as this guy had never uttered a sound or responded to any other stimulus in his time there. The reaction from many others was very favourable too and a good time was had by all.

Howard never got a repeat gig, the staff were so impressed with the reaction from their patients that they bought their own system to include it as regular therapy.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

Strange that this should come up as my friend Howard was telling me only a couple of days ago about his time in America some years ago when he bought only the second karaoke system to be sold there.

He was asked to do a gig at a veterans care home and one wheelchair bound young man started singing to the songs. The staff were amazed as this guy had never uttered a sound or responded to any other stimulus in his time there. The reaction from many others was very favourable too and a good time was had by all.

Howard never got a repeat gig, the staff were so impressed with the reaction from their patients that they bought their own system to include it as regular therapy.

Roger

Thats really a moving story roger

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

You did what you were supposed to do, Roger.  You got them interested and they took over from there.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Great stories!!!!

This is the reason I would love to teach more people to play guitar. I'm sans student right now, but have my fingers crossed.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Another great vid.......

http://www.wimp.com/turnerduet/

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

That was cool Z - Thanks for the share

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Scroling through this post makes me w2onder how MB is doing. We have not heard from her in a long time. she is a cool kid. I hope everything on her fam is ok and her parents are well.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

15 (edited by Dirty Ed 2014-03-22 19:55:00)

Thanks for sharing the vid

I have a binder that houses many of the songs I've written.  In the front of the binder is a copy of a speech made by the director of music at Boston University (Karl Paulnack) to the parents of the freshman class.  The copy was given to me by a music friend several years ago and has provided inspiration when I've been in a music "funk". It discusses the healing power of music.  Here's a link to the speech:

http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/cen … vatory.pdf

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

16 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-03-22 11:09:38)

Zurf & Roger ... those are wonderful accounts, and I do thank you for them! And obviously we agree with J. S. Bach about the lofty power of music:

"Music is an agreeable harmony for the honor of God, and the permissible delights of the soul."

Where would we be without music!?

Thanks again ...

beamer wrote:

Scroling through this post makes me w2onder how MB is doing. We have not heard from her in a long time. she is a cool kid. I hope everything on her fam is ok and her parents are well.

I have not seen m.b. on here for at least over a year and I have wondered where she went also,she seemed like such a sweet girl.

Music surely is great therapy in itself. Especially when shared with other people. I always feel better after singing with my "choir" on a Saturday morning...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic