Topic: If you had a time machine

What would you go back in time to see? Only to see not to be involved.

You can't pick:
Creation of the universe, earth, life, that sort of thing.
Anything religious.

Here's a few of mine.

Some of the World's Fairs back in the 1800s - 1930s. If I had to pick one it would be the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. This was the first time electricity was used to power the fair.

When JFK was shot.

Roswell crash to find out what really happened.

How the Egyptian pyramids were built.

I also have a list of military jets I would like to have seen the first flight of.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: If you had a time machine

I would like to go and hang out with Leanardo Di Vinci. I would also like too be an onlooker at watching the madness of Hitler. Amazing what that monster managed to do!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Just to see?  Not worth it.   I see some future person's history every day. 

But given the opportunity, I'd go back to the early 17th century and fish rivers that had never seen a lure.  When the folks from the Jamestown settlement used the Discovery to explore Chesapeake Bay and James River to the fall line (which is now at Richmond), the captain's log of the Discovery recorded catching a catfish from the James River that provided a feast for the entire crew.  Imagine that on a rod and reel! 

Edit to add: I also read stories of exploration of what became known as the Cheat River valley in western Maryland.  The cartographers were also fishermen.  They reported catching over 200 trout per day dappling flies from willow branches.  Imagine fishing rivers where the fish had never seen an artificial fly.  Oh sure, there'd be cougars and wolves to concern yourself with.  That's why I'd take a hunter with me...

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'd love to go back and see england in the midevil times. I think that was a cool time period.

Without music life would be a journey through a desert.

I Cor 14:15

Given the chance I would go back in time to the first ciggarette I snuck out of my moms pack and put it back.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I'm with Zurf - I'd like to visit Southern Ontario, circa 1700 - and fish every tributary of the Great Lakes, all the small lakes I could walk to. I would need my fly rod, flies, and rifle with lotsa ammo. Back then, there were cougars, bears, wolves, wood buffalo, elk, moose, deer in great abundance. An axe to build a log cabin.

Heaven, I think.

Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

I wouldn't go back to say, 1920's Germany - the temptation to change future history would be too great. Hitler - dead - Stalin - dead, Mao, dead. Wonder where we'd be today with those 3 expunged from history?

Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

I agree with JJ I think midevil times would be cool to, but I would also like to go to the time period of World War II.

whitewater55 wrote:

I wouldn't go back to say, 1920's Germany - the temptation to change future history would be too great. Hitler - dead - Stalin - dead, Mao, dead. Wonder where we'd be today with those 3 expunged from history?

Randy

I think you'd end up with three different dudes doing the same thing.  It is human nature that allows that to happen, not any one individual.   They didn't come to power in a vacuum.

I'd go back to St Louis, 1804 and try to get onto the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

10 (edited by Buzzwagon 2012-05-12 20:51:25)

I'd go back and listen to Jesus giving the Sermon on the Mount. That would be pretty cool.

Hanging with Da Vinci would be amazing.

Then it would have to be the 1966 World Cup Final, (I know we harp on about it but I'd love to have been there).

The Isle of Man TT showdown between Agostini and Hailwood, or Hailwood's comeback TT win after being retired for 10 years!

Then it would be the Isle of Wight festival in 1970 to see Hendrix play live.

Then I'd call in on Bill Gates in around 1980 and give him a few quid to help with his idea for computers. That should leave me with enough money to buy my own island today, maybe Hawaii!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Join a French Voyageur expedition through the Great Lakes in the late 1600's

Watch the Continental Congress signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776

Travel with the Corps of Discovery 1804-1806

Attend a Rocky Mountain Rendezvous in the late 1820's

Follow the Army of the Potomac 1861-1865

Be a part of the Apollo 11 crew that landed on the moon in 1969

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

These are all great!!!!! It's cool to see what diff things peek our interest.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd go back to Hamburg, Germany in the early 60s and check out this new band that came over from Liverpool . . . I think they're called "The Beatles." I'd also bring my big brother along, because he's a good drummer with his own kit, and then he could have joined the group instead of Ringo. Also, I'd get lots of autographs and souvengiers (sp?) and then bring them back to the present and then go on Pawn Stars and sell them!

I would like to go back to see the world before it was touched by humans to the extent it is now. Just where I live and work would be interesting to see 300 years, or 3000 years ago. What would look the same? could I pick out geographical landmarks to know exactly where I am? How much have we changed the geography? How little?

What did the mouth of the Colorado River look like 500 years ago? I have read that it was much different then as it is now since we take so much water from it. I live near a lake that is the the largest natural lake in Southern California: Lake Elsinore. When I was a kid I remember it would flood up to 20' and it would also become near-dry in the next few years. It does neither now as it has been "tamed". I would like to see it in it's flood stage and its drought stage.

How did Manhattan Island look prior to the arrival of the Europeans? What did it look like during colonial times?

That is stuff that interests me.

bunbun wrote:

I would like to go back to see the world before it was touched by humans to the extent it is now. Just where I live and work would be interesting to see 300 years, or 3000 years ago. What would look the same? could I pick out geographical landmarks to know exactly where I am? How much have we changed the geography? How little?

What did the mouth of the Colorado River look like 500 years ago? I have read that it was much different then as it is now since we take so much water from it. I live near a lake that is the the largest natural lake in Southern California: Lake Elsinore. When I was a kid I remember it would flood up to 20' and it would also become near-dry in the next few years. It does neither now as it has been "tamed". I would like to see it in it's flood stage and its drought stage.

How did Manhattan Island look prior to the arrival of the Europeans? What did it look like during colonial times?

That is stuff that interests me.

Good idea bunbun. The country used to be a vast wilderness.  Now it's just half-vast................

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I'd also like to see the Missoula Lake Floods, which created the largest waterfall on Earth about 15,000 years ago and left us with what we now call the Palouse, or eastern Washington.   "Dry Falls" is the remains of that waterfall.

I've really always thought I was born at a pretty lucky time in history. But if I could visit, I like to watch the creation of the universe. Had to be something else. Also, it'd be amazing to be at the 1936 Olympics when Jesse Owens won four golds.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

This may sound sappy and depressing but.March 16, 1984.The day before my father died.I wouldnt have gone home that night and said a lot more than see you tomorrow.Didnt`t see him tomorrow.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I'd like to go back and to everyone I've wronged or hurt and tell them I'm sorry - it would'nt change anything, but I'd feel better about it all.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

This may sound sappy and depressing but.March 16, 1984.The day before my father died.I wouldnt have gone home that night and said a lot more than see you tomorrow.Didnt`t see him tomorrow.

Two weeks ago, I watched my uncle die.  I was glad that I could be there with my sister and cousin.  Uncle Bob had no children of his own.  It doesn't sound sappy at all to me. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

21 (edited by beamer 2012-05-15 02:35:08)

This may be shallow, but Idd go back and see what became of a few skelletons that still creep into my head,

Idd go find the black Ice that was blamed for the bus accident and death of Cliff Burton and put a torch to it, hmm,
Lay Jimi over on his side or move him so he didnt choke on his own puke,
give my grandpa sailer a hug.   so many options,  all my time left to dream.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Telling my age here but I remember several things that were mentioned here as I'm sure a few more do. I think for me a good time to revisit would be the antebellum days of the old South, with the exception of slavery. I'm also sure there are other times I'd enjoy as well. Great topic though.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Without any plan to change history... I'd go back to the roaring 20's and throw on a flapper dress and get myself into some underground dance club and drink some moonshine w/ the guys (if they'd let me) and dance the night away.  I think it would be a BLAST of a good time!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

We have all missed the boat and MKM has shown us the way.  We're all looking for interesting insight to natural or manmade history, but MKM picks when they had the best parties.  That's some clear-headed thinking right there. 

- Zurf

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Neither sappy or sad.   I was waiting at home for mom and dad to get back from Yuma when instead my sister called and told me they'd been in a car wreck and dad was gone.  Every day I am grateful that I have no regrets about not telling him anything.  I don't have any "I wish I would have said..." moments.  I got 40 good years with him, and I'm thankful for every one of 'em.