Topic: Need suggestion for how to play a chord progression

Hello.

I'm learning to play a song which has a three-chord progression in it that I can't find a suitable way to finger.

It's a run in A with an ascending bass line:
A        X02220
A/B     X22220
A/C#   X42220

The changes have to be quick (it's the "4-2-3" in a song in 3/4 time), so I'm trying to minimize movement.  Would really like to NOT have to mute the hgh E string because I need that note for tonality.

Late add:  Here's what I'm doing right now:
A = open A chord using fingers 2-4 (which is the normal way I play an A).
A/B = keeping fingers 2-4 in place, drop index onto the A string on fret 2.
A/C# = CHEAT.  Ring finger on A string fret 4, and index on B string fret 2.  Mute the low E and D strings.  The problem:  This is actually a A7/C#.  It works, but I'd prefer to have the full A.

How would you finger each chord in this case?

Thanks,
'Nom

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Need suggestion for how to play a chord progression

After trying this progression I would do the same as you for the first two chords but for the A/C# I would get a friend to stick a finger on the 4th fret of the 5th string for me. :lol

Seriously, I can find no way to play it properly. I would barre my index finger on the second fret and play the 5th string/4th fret with my pinkie and mute the high 'e' string.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

you can make this accending run using an alternant A fingering try
placing your 2nd finger on the 4th string 2nd fret and your 1st on the 3rd string 2nd fret and 3rd on the 2nd stiring 2nd fret then play the chord on 4 while holding this form add the b with your 2nd  and the c# with your pinky for the 2 3 acctually the 4 2 3 is the end of the 4th measure. I use this form on several songs its flexable smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I played it the really cheat way. Bent the index finger to play a normal A, playing all 3 strings, then an almost full barre A leaving the top and bottom E strings open, then placed my ring finger (or pinky) on the C#. It sounded nice playing a full C#minor chord, but since I don't know what song it's for I may be out of context.

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I'd play that with my first three on the A and move the C# to B to open A using my pinky.  Or cheat.  Do it fast and no one will know.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I played a song a while back (I think it was Don't forget to Remember Me, Carrie Underwood) and it had A/C#. What a pain! I played it with my index finger on 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings, and my pinky on the A string 4th fret. It was hard to get used to, but eventually it was clear enough. Main thing is this: You can do it. Your hand is able, it's just getting your muscles going right. With enough practice it'll sound as clear as G.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

7 (edited by Astronomikal 2012-05-15 02:34:41)

Thanks to everyone for the replies / suggestions.

Roger:  Brilliant suggestion about the friend to fret the A string for me.  smile  That will be his/her only job:  fret that ONE note in that ONE song.  Sorta reminds me of the guy in the Mighty Mighty Bosstones whose only job in the band is to dance by himself on stage.

Russell:  Interesting thought which I hadn't considered, i.e., playing a "D7" form on strings 2-4 all on fret 2.  So far I can't make the reach around to the A string with my pinky to get to either fret 2 or fret 4 (not without muting a bunch of strings anyway), but I'll keep working on it.

Phil:  Tried that one also.  This is probably the best way to minimize movement, but so far I can't do it without muting the high e.  I'll work on this one too.  FYI, the song is "Piano Man" (Billy Joel), which I'm playing in D.  The A/C# goes directly to D.  C#m doesn't work in that context.

Zurf:  You proposed a similar solution to what Russ suggested, it's just that yours is the traditional lined up open A.  Same issue;  I can't reach the A string with my pinky yet, but with more dexterity it might be possible.  You and Russ must have some amazingly long and flexible fingers.

auxi:  You are absolutely right.  Your suggestion (as well as all of the others) will work.  I'll just have to practice in order to nail it.

Thanks again,
Nom

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

8 (edited by Zurf 2012-05-15 13:14:26)

Your pinky is a finger.  Get it strong and make it work. 

EDIT TO ADD: I went and played a song where I have to do that progression and paid attention to how I do it (a rare thing for me).  I cheat.  I use my pinky to get the C#, but I move my middle finger over from the D string second fret to the A string second fret to get the B, which leaves the D string open.  You can make a bit of a tangle of your fingers and put your pinky on the second fret of the D string if you really, really want to avoid playing a "wrong" chord in the progression.  It wouldn't bother me, and I sure wouldn't put you into messed up D chord jail if you did it.  And I guarantee you, unless you are auditioning for Julliard or Peabody, no one will notice and if they do notice they wouldn't care because it would mean that they do the same darned thing. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Agree with Zurf. Or strengthen your index finger so you can play the A as a mini barre chord.

Also you might think you need the E but you really don't...if the changes are that fast, ditch the high e string on this chord change...

Zurf wrote:

I went and played a song where I have to do that progression and paid attention to how I do it (a rare thing for me).  I cheat.  I use my pinky to get the C#, but I move my middle finger over from the D string second fret to the A string second fret to get the B, which leaves the D string open.

If you're starting with your middle finger on D fret 2 it implies you're playing your open A with fingers 2-4.  That conflicts with your earlier post where you said:  "I'd play that with my first three on the A . . ."

(It may be that in your first post you were speculating and in the second one you actually did it(?))

Also, if you're playing the open A with fingers 2-4 and you grab the C# with your pinky, does it not also leave the B string open?

Not trying to hammer or "gotcha" you, I'm just trying to understand.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Also you might think you need the E but you really don't...if the changes are that fast, ditch the high e string on this chord change...

The more I play this the more I realize that you are right.  What makes Piano Man distinctive is the ascending and descending bass line.  If I eliminate (mute) the high e string I'm finding that it puts more emphasis on the lower end and draws the bass out more.

If I ever get on Skype and am able to join one of the "jams" maybe I'll share my arrangement of this great song.  That is after I practice it a few thousand more times.

(The dirty little secret about this song is that yes, Billy Joel recorded it in C, but unless you play it in drop D tuning -- which creates a whole new set of fingering problems -- it will not sound right on a guitar because you have to yo-yo on the bass line, which screws it up IMO.)

Astronomikal wrote:

If you're starting with your middle finger on D fret 2 it implies you're playing your open A with fingers 2-4.  That conflicts with your earlier post where you said:  "I'd play that with my first three on the A . . ."

No.  I play A with my index finger and middle finger crossed, so that my index finger starts our in the middle of the three strings on the A.  I move my fingers around for each chord change.  One you do it a few hundred to a thousand times, it gets pretty simple.  So that's what I try to do.  Figure out how to do a particular change, then run through it very, very slowly at first, and eventually I set a timer and make the changes as many times as I can in a two minute period.  Do that once or twice a day for a couple of weeks, and eventually you've got it routine and you can make the changes smoothly and easily. 

- Zurf