Topic: Ian Tyson - BARNEY

Does anyone know the chords for this amazing song by Ian Tyson (It's on the Ian and Slyvia CD "The Beginning of the End").  Its one of the saddest songs I've ever heard.  I've been told it's a true story.  Thank you.

Re: Ian Tyson - BARNEY

I'm not sure if I've found the right song or not, this one seems to come from a different album.  Plus, it's all piano.  Is this it though?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NCvnG8AMFo

You'll have to help us out a little here to help you out.  Some of the members are quite good at figuring out chords by just listening.  If this is/isn't it, we'll need to know, and if not you'll need to find something for them to listen to so they can figure it out for ya - if you're still looking.  smile  Thanks!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Wow , Amazing song . Ian is a master at relating life in a song. Anyone who's ever owned a good horse can sure enough relate to this song. I can play many of Ian's songs but sorry I don't know this one. This is the first I've heard it. He's my all time favorite.
Gary McMahan has a great song about an ex- rodeo horse it's called Skeeter. I can't find a video but it's on his Saddle 'em up and Go album.
I hope you can get this one worked out.

Joe

4 (edited by Astronomikal 2012-05-28 15:53:55)

The four chords in the intro are  F# - C# - E - B.  I think the rest of the song is different sequences of these four.  There may be one or two others in there;  I didn't study it that closely.

Tonally, it sounds best (to me) if you capo on 2 and play E - B - D - A.

Good luck!

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Mekidsmom - Yes this is the song. smile  If anyone else can help, that would be great.  I find it really hard to listen and pick out the chords.

Astronomikal - Thanks, I'll try those chords out.

Tyson7 - Yes, isn't he fantastic.  His lyrics are amazing, and he has one of those rare voices that you can listen to all day long.  Thanks for the recommendation for the Gary McMahan song.