Topic: Learining the fret board

Hi guys,

I don't know if this will help everyone but it sure helped me. This link teaches you how to learn the fretboard and it does it so effectively that I learnt the fret board in 15 minutes. I can now tell any note on the fretboard and am also making good progress of figuring out what the chords are and what they should be on different parts of the fret board without having to  look them up. Hope this helps all the beginners and slightly above beginners.

Cheers,

Suren

http://www.guitaralliance.com/guitar_le … /index.htm

Re: Learining the fret board

Actually I'd say learning the fretboard this way is above intermediate into advanced. Part of the joy of guitar is that once the first 5 chords are learnt a whole load of songs open up without too much figuring out. Fretboard thinking is very good for jazz stuff and rock solos but it's dense stuff for most of us.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Learnnig the fretboard came pretty natural to me. Otherwise it's kind of like placing a call with no numbers on the keypad. I think most of what people say is advanced is really no more difficult than learning a few chords. I feel music is like learnning a language. Actually it's easier. The alphabet has 26 letters. Music has less than half. Grammer has more rules than music theory. Basicly if you can pass high school english then you can excell at music, but you have to know your instrument and what more important part of the instrument than the part you touch the most?

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Well once I figured out the note progression I am finding it fairly easy now to figure out what the chords further up the fret are.

I guess you are right when you say it is fairly advanced to learn the fret board but my argument is if it is fairly simple to do and can be done in a short period of time don't you think it would be an added advantage to your playing and understanding of the guitar to go ahead and learn it?

Just a thought ... any comments from anyone else? smile

Hi Surenperera!
Nice tip. I learnd this after playing about two weeks, and its not advanced. I think It's like american CT says about tha language. Sure I can make myself understod in english (in spite of being swedish...) but if I get the chance to evolve with a fairly small effort I of course go for it.

In sweden the school teaches basic music so the chord progression I already knew (But I still don't think the alphabet from A to G with a few flats and sharps in between can be classified as advanced). When I started playing the guitar 6 month ago I thought it to be fairly illogical untill my friend told me to just learn the strings tuning. Start with an open string and follow the chord progression up the frets.

Then I bought an easy book called "basic music theory for guitar". It explains your tip and how to build chords out of single notes, basic scales and som other goodies. You read it throug in half an hour and suddenly the guitar is logical...

Keep learning theory, it drasticaly evolves your music language...

/Missen

If you love what you do, there's no need to be good at it...