Topic: Banjolin

I have one of these instruments, a cross between a mandolin and a banjo.
I dont play it though as it is a right noisy wee thing.  I prefer the sound of the mandolin.

anyone else got one of these?
do you like it more than or less than the madolin?

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: Banjolin

Hi Ken, I also acquired a banjolin, it is a John Grey model and very pretty. Since I can't play the mandolin I restrung the 8-string banjolin with nylon strings in unison pairs, as an 8-string ukelele. It's great, a very individual sound, and loud!

Fred

I have had a mandolin banjo for years - rarely touching it up until the past few months. It has led me towards wanting a straight mandolin. It is an anonymous "zither banjo" which really rings out - much louder than a mainstream mando and slightly less sustain. The top two strings sound like a mandolin, the bottom two strings kick in like a banjo so it's a limited sound.

Apparently, the mandolin banjo is different from a Banjolin. The mando-banjo has the 8 strings, whereas the banjolin has only 4 strings, but tuned GDAE too. The Banjolin is often prefered to the mando-banjo as its less likely to go out of tune ( skin, humidity and heat make a big difference). There are also banjoleles which seem to be banjolin's tuned as per ukes.

There are a couple of excellent YouTube videos of a banjolin playing rag-time backed by guitar.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

I had ust typed a reply to you tat I had to delete after doing some research before hitting submit.
I thought you were wrong about 4 strings on a banjolin, even though there are some images on google that show a banjolin as the same vintage one i have. So i read more about it on the ne and yer right.
So, I have not got a banjolin after all.

I have a mandobanjo smile

Ken

Well then - Congratulations on the new arrival !

As we say in Belfast - "More power till yer elbow !"

This is a link to an ebay picture of a zither mando-banjo. Not the same, but very similar to my own. I'm not selling the one in the picture by the way -

http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/9e/27/1c10_1.JPG

Alan,
that looks the exact same as mine, even the case looks the same. Also looks a bit better condition than mine,lol

Cheers

Ken

Hi upyourkilt,

That sure sounds like a great piece of equipment you have ? Mandobanjo!!

Doe's It do your house cleaning as well??

Probably not meant to be funny, but your post really made me laugh.!

I would love to hear you play " The Clyde" on that instrument?

Slán

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Here's the ragtime video I mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C88o2lHeGw

It's entitled Dennis Pash and Meredith Axelrod play Tickled To Death

Hi all,
Just wondering if there's any folks in Plymouth who play banjo (blue-grass) and other assorted things mandolin/ guiatar who may be interested in a jam at different locations in the city, at differing times of the month?
I play /sing and would like to meet others who do

I collect and play banjoleles.  I'm totally satisfied with the sound projection and the ease of learning how to play these little critters. A BIG word of warning.  Never string a banjolele with any other than uke strings.  Any others will stress the neck.  It does sound louder with the wire, I must admite.
Alan

tickled to death excellent!

music IS my soul