Topic: The Difference between a Gibson Flying V faded and a regular reissue?

As far I am surfing on the web, I was fascinating by musicsites and online stores like zzsounds and music 123. But there is one thing that can or will answer the following question:
Go to the Gibson site to have look, I will just write about the Flying V, but the topic goes for a lot of guitars.
- Gibson Flying V: V-Factor New Century, Flying V with neck pick-up 496R & 500T bridgeposition, both ceramic magnetic humbuckers, on both Gibson Flying V's( I believe it is a reissue of the 1967 model.
Body Species:  Mahogany   NECK: species Mahogany FINGERBOARD: ebony.
On the other Flying V, you will find the same wood, except from the fingerboard: rosewood, ebony.
- Gibson Flying V faded: neck: 496R ceramic magnetic humbuckers and bridge 500T humbucker, Body Species: Mahogany  NECK Species: Mahogany and finally fingerboard: rosewood. PRICE: in EURO here 1050€ and in dollars 594$ !!!! in EURO again 439€ !!!!
So ARE WE TALKING ABOUT A SORT OF COMMERCIAL STUNT, or not. BECAUSE OF THE RETAIL PRICES$$$$, there are, as far I wrote 3 kinds of Flying V, same wood, usually mahogany, only the fingerboard wood "can" be different. So 3 different guitars, all constructed in the USA, same humbuckers, same coils. BUT THE PRICES??????????????????? The description is: The Gibson Flying V '67 V Factor is a modern update of Gibson's classic axe.
PRICE around 1100$ (online), and I am totally not scared at all to purchase in the USA, it gets even better, because of the very strong € (EURO), it is at this moment very attractive to buy there. Even after she was in the hands of the customs working at the airport, and the extra money you have to pay, it is still unbelievable cheaper, and I tried to find an easy system to know the price here when she arrives: put the $ price the same amount in € and you will have an idea of what you are going to pay, before delivery. And you will still have a SUPER DEAL: the retail price of Flying V in EURO is €1499,00. You can even order a trip to the USA, and buying this axe. 1100$ = €812, a huge difference and even unbelievable if you see the price asked by the biggest music store in Europe, so MORE THAN 600€ = $812, yes you can buy 2 guitars for the price of 1 guitar. This is maybe useless or completely irrelevant what I just wrote, and for "chordians" who will travel soon to the USA: buy there your guitar of your dreams, try even to cross the border HINT, try to have the serialnumber, ask a friend a certificate  that he sold you guitar X, with serial number 11111 and you have a big opportunity to avoid all the extra charges.
Except for all the tips and hints, WHAT IS NOW THE REASON, OR THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THOSE 3 FLYING V's, same wood, same humbuckers, but no reason found on the internet.
I am sure that there are people on this site, who can tell me "the why".
I would really appreciate reactions

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by bootleger 2007-05-15 02:02:41)

Re: The Difference between a Gibson Flying V faded and a regular reissue?

gitaardocphil,

The original flying "V's" and Explorers were made of korina wood (african black and or white limba) I don't know what the finger board wood was.  The new bodies if are made with mahogany woods have a darker tone compared to swamp ash or alder wood which has a briter tone. The korina has a tone between the two previously mentioned woods. The rosewood finger board would articulate more highs than the ebony finger board. With the eletronics being the same the only difference of the three guitars you described are the finger boards and for a preslotted finger board rose wood goes about $19.00, and ebony goes for about $29.00 american.

So the difference in pricing is probly going to be in the finish, paint, natural or exotic wood top dyed. Also the hardware used is it gold, black or chrome. Other than that there should not be that much price difference unless as you said one of the guitars is an ressiue. Then your paying for marketing.

Bootlegger.

I do agree, and I do not agree.
The Korina wood I knew, and if the GOD's are on your side, it is probably possible you can ask Gibson to make a KORINA FLYING V.
The reason that I wrote, longer letters than in my datingperiod, to go and see for yourself on the GIBSON.COM site.
I think like I wrote they are all made in the same wood, except the neck of 1 of these 3, available in EBONY/OR ROSEWOOD. So only rosewood should make the difference then?.
Have you ever been to a gibson "plant", I prefer place where they make a lot of these beauties.
The only one you can visit is the Memphis Factory, where all the "LUCILLES" are made and of course all "semi-hollow" bodies.
People talk about factories, if that is a facory, I am a dwarf. Every worker has his skill, and it looks "factorish" indeed. All work is done so smooth, they even use microscopes. Mainly women are wiring the coils, a special place to treat the guitar after painting, exactly the same technic they use in painting and drying CARS. I paid 20$ to visit the "factory" but it was worth every penny. A thing I really should love, because sooner or later, I will return, is to visit a acoustic guitar company, and/or a full body.
It is incredible to see all those little things, constructed with love, but it is a real pitty that at the end of the chain, a few guys, playing those gibsons for hours, 30% yes THIRTHY, don't make it to the shop, and are DESTROYED. I could cry when I heard it. They DO NOT SELL IT because they deliver a product of QUALITY. Isn't it sad, on 10 hollowbodies, only 7 survive. I told them to make a different brand, and put Gibson on it in very small letters. Is there a way I can reach you, more to have an idea of you working on guitars?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

Is there a way I can reach you, more to have an idea of you working on guitars?

You should still have my personal email address if not let me know and I will send it to you. I still have yours.

Bootlegger.