You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-29 00:52:56

M.B.
Senior Member
Registered: 2012-03-12
Posts: 186

Need some advice!

OK, me and big brother were in the Big City today, and we went the local Guitar Center. I found a used Taylor 414 that I really loved. It's not a cutaway, which is fine with me, and it's not a Dreadnaught (looks like a Grand Auditorium), which is also fine, and it doesn't have electronics, which I also like. I tried finding out what this guitar originally sold for, but it appears to be a discontinued model. They are asking $1,000. The guitar is great shape, no dings or scratches that I could see.

For the fourth of July sale, they're giving a 100 dollar discount, which would bring it down to 900. Big brother says to offer them 800.

Any advice on whether you think this is would be a fair price? Any advice on this model?

Oh my gosh, but it was so wonderful to play! I've got 300 dollars, B.B. said he's lend me a 100, then I'd have to borrow 400 from Dear Old Dad. He's nervous though, because of how dry and hot's been--the corn and beans are getting distressed.

We'll see.

Offline

 

#2 2012-06-29 01:44:35

Baldguitardude
El Modarino
From: Las Vegas
Registered: 2010-12-09
Posts: 1186
Website

Re: Need some advice!

Who cares what is fair? Start low. It's guitar center...they won't let you rip them off.

Offline

 

#3 2012-06-29 01:57:34

badeye
Honoured Member
From: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Registered: 2006-09-02
Posts: 2872

Re: Need some advice!

see if they have lawaway, or a payment plan.   you never know,,


badeye   ;cool:


one caper after another

Offline

 

#4 2012-06-29 02:05:22

Dirty Ed
Senior Member
From: Chillicothe, Ohio
Registered: 2010-08-17
Posts: 460

Re: Need some advice!

When I was looking to find another guitar a few months back, I was seriously considering a 414.  Like you, I prefer the pure acoustic version - no cutaway or electronics.  The Grand Auditorium size coupled with ovangkol back and spruce top is a great combination.  The ones I checked on ebay usually went around $800-$1000.  There's a 1998 model currently at $810 with 3 days left.  I've also seen others sold in the $600-$700 range but had issues like deep scratches, cracks, etc. If you can get it for $800 (or less) it should be a pretty decent deal IMHO.

DE


"If Einstein hadn't discovered the theory of relativity someone else would have because its a basic science truth.  Same for Watson-Crick and DNA.  But if Beethoven hadn't written "Moonlight Sonata", no one else would have.  If Van Gogh hadn't painted Starry Night, no one else would have."

I don't want to play songs, I want to create songs.

Offline

 

#5 2012-06-29 03:08:52

dino48
Honoured Member
From: los banos,california
Registered: 2007-04-06
Posts: 4488

Re: Need some advice!

MB  nice guitar I tried one out before and really liked it alot. I have bought a couple of guitars from them some time ago and I did not pay thier price. I think your brother is right $800 is a good price. If they do not like it tell them you are going too buy it elswere for that price. I think Jerome has alot of expieriance on the Taylors. I would get one if I did not want a Martin so bad.

Last edited by dino48 (2012-06-29 03:15:16)


my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman.

Offline

 

#6 2012-06-29 03:41:06

M.B.
Senior Member
Registered: 2012-03-12
Posts: 186

Re: Need some advice!

Dirty Ed wrote:

When I was looking to find another guitar a few months back, I was seriously considering a 414.  Like you, I prefer the pure acoustic version - no cutaway or electronics.  The Grand Auditorium size coupled with ovangkol back and spruce top is a great combination.  The ones I checked on ebay usually went around $800-$1000.  There's a 1998 model currently at $810 with 3 days left.  I've also seen others sold in the $600-$700 range but had issues like deep scratches, cracks, etc. If you can get it for $800 (or less) it should be a pretty decent deal IMHO.

DE

Hi DE,

Thanks for your input! I saw that 414 on Ebay, too, and it looks just like the one I saw at G.C., but it also comes with a case. I feel pretty good about offering 800. We'll see what happens.

Offline

 

#7 2012-06-29 03:44:26

M.B.
Senior Member
Registered: 2012-03-12
Posts: 186

Re: Need some advice!

badeye wrote:

see if they have lawaway, or a payment plan.   you never know,,


badeye   ;cool:

I've thought about layaway . . . but oh, how hard it would be to wait. When you have Guitar Fever, you gotta strum or you might go crazy!

Offline

 

#8 2012-06-29 03:45:41

M.B.
Senior Member
Registered: 2012-03-12
Posts: 186

Re: Need some advice!

Baldguitardude wrote:

Who cares what is fair? Start low. It's guitar center...they won't let you rip them off.

LOL! That's great advice BGD.

Offline

 

#9 2012-06-29 03:47:36

M.B.
Senior Member
Registered: 2012-03-12
Posts: 186

Re: Need some advice!

dino48 wrote:

MB  nice guitar I tried one out before and really liked it alot. I have bought a couple of guitars from them some time ago and I did not pay thier price. I think your brother is right $800 is a good price. If they do not like it tell them you are going too buy it elswere for that price. I think Jerome has alot of expieriance on the Taylors. I would get one if I did not want a Martin so bad.

Thanks dino--with everyone's input, I'm feeling ok about making an offer.

Offline

 

#10 2012-07-06 03:12:40

naolslager
Senior Member
From: Georgia, USA
Registered: 2009-06-12
Posts: 813

Re: Need some advice!

M.B.,
Remember to be prepared to jump for joy if GC says "yes" to your offer.
Good luck,
Dj

Offline

 

#11 2012-07-06 04:10:15

easybeat
Senior Member
From: Wellington New Zealand
Registered: 2010-03-24
Posts: 163

Re: Need some advice!

WOW   MB  i just love your passion
Keep your posts comin`


`Friday on my mind`
A bird in the hand is worth a bird in the hand

I`m not sure if i`m indecisive or not

Offline

 

#12 2012-07-26 20:30:51

baynton90
Junior Member
Registered: 2012-07-25
Posts: 20

Re: Need some advice!

I have need some advice about my guitar, I purchase guitar recently. Itís new with all online merchant account accessories. Itís electric. I want to know that how I can play with my guitar as easiest way??

Last edited by baynton90 (2012-08-24 19:52:26)

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2005 Rickard Andersson