Topic: Need some advice!

OK, me and big brother were in the Big City today, and we went the local Guitar Center. I found a used Taylor 414 that I really loved. It's not a cutaway, which is fine with me, and it's not a Dreadnaught (looks like a Grand Auditorium), which is also fine, and it doesn't have electronics, which I also like. I tried finding out what this guitar originally sold for, but it appears to be a discontinued model. They are asking $1,000. The guitar is great shape, no dings or scratches that I could see.

For the fourth of July sale, they're giving a 100 dollar discount, which would bring it down to 900. Big brother says to offer them 800.

Any advice on whether you think this is would be a fair price? Any advice on this model?

Oh my gosh, but it was so wonderful to play! I've got 300 dollars, B.B. said he's lend me a 100, then I'd have to borrow 400 from Dear Old Dad. He's nervous though, because of how dry and hot's been--the corn and beans are getting distressed.

We'll see.

Re: Need some advice!

Who cares what is fair? Start low. It's guitar center...they won't let you rip them off.

see if they have lawaway, or a payment plan.   you never know,,

badeye   ;cool:

one caper after another

When I was looking to find another guitar a few months back, I was seriously considering a 414.  Like you, I prefer the pure acoustic version - no cutaway or electronics.  The Grand Auditorium size coupled with ovangkol back and spruce top is a great combination.  The ones I checked on ebay usually went around $800-$1000.  There's a 1998 model currently at $810 with 3 days left.  I've also seen others sold in the $600-$700 range but had issues like deep scratches, cracks, etc. If you can get it for $800 (or less) it should be a pretty decent deal IMHO.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

5 (edited by dino48 2012-06-29 01:15:16)

MB  nice guitar I tried one out before and really liked it alot. I have bought a couple of guitars from them some time ago and I did not pay thier price. I think your brother is right $800 is a good price. If they do not like it tell them you are going too buy it elswere for that price. I think Jerome has alot of expieriance on the Taylors. I would get one if I did not want a Martin so bad.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Dirty Ed wrote:

When I was looking to find another guitar a few months back, I was seriously considering a 414.  Like you, I prefer the pure acoustic version - no cutaway or electronics.  The Grand Auditorium size coupled with ovangkol back and spruce top is a great combination.  The ones I checked on ebay usually went around $800-$1000.  There's a 1998 model currently at $810 with 3 days left.  I've also seen others sold in the $600-$700 range but had issues like deep scratches, cracks, etc. If you can get it for $800 (or less) it should be a pretty decent deal IMHO.

DE

Hi DE,

Thanks for your input! I saw that 414 on Ebay, too, and it looks just like the one I saw at G.C., but it also comes with a case. I feel pretty good about offering 800. We'll see what happens.

badeye wrote:

see if they have lawaway, or a payment plan.   you never know,,

badeye   ;cool:

I've thought about layaway . . . but oh, how hard it would be to wait. When you have Guitar Fever, you gotta strum or you might go crazy!

Baldguitardude wrote:

Who cares what is fair? Start low. It's guitar center...they won't let you rip them off.

LOL! That's great advice BGD.

dino48 wrote:

MB  nice guitar I tried one out before and really liked it alot. I have bought a couple of guitars from them some time ago and I did not pay thier price. I think your brother is right $800 is a good price. If they do not like it tell them you are going too buy it elswere for that price. I think Jerome has alot of expieriance on the Taylors. I would get one if I did not want a Martin so bad.

Thanks dino--with everyone's input, I'm feeling ok about making an offer.

M.B.,
Remember to be prepared to jump for joy if GC says "yes" to your offer.
Good luck,
Dj

WOW   MB  i just love your passion
Keep your posts comin`

The King Of Audio Torture

12 (edited by baynton90 2012-08-24 17:52:26)

I have need some advice about my guitar, I purchase guitar recently. It’s new with all online merchant account accessories. It’s electric. I want to know that how I can play with my guitar as easiest way??