1 (edited by Russell_Harding 2012-06-30 20:57:11)

Topic: Nice option for acoustic pickup

My Shadow P4 gave up the ghost and a replacement Shadow unit cost about $135 depending on where you shop online I did a lot of looking and came up with a unknown the cost was $15.00(including shipping) from Amazon the company that shipped it is called Krazy cart It arrived today in the mail and I had it mounted in less then 20 minutes it sounds as good or better then the Shadow P4 unit at a fraction of the cost,so if your looking to mount a pickup on an old acoustic or replace one that died you can save a some big bucks on this unit.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O7 … 00_s00_i00
this includes all the wireing and pickup,nuts and bolts etc..

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Nice option for acoustic pickup

Hi Russell,

I've got a couple of questions for you about this:

1. This unit goes into the side of the guitar, is that right? So if your guitar didn't already have space cut out, you would need to have a guitar tech do that, right?

2. This is just an equalizer and pre-amp, right? You'd need to have a pickup installed under the bridge or something right?

3. You need to have a plug put in at the bottom of the guitar to insert the cable that goes to the amp, right?

Sorry if these questions are dumb; I don't know very much about guitar electronics. Thanks for your help.

M.B. I hope Russ comes back and answers your questions but I noticed the note under the link does say that the pickup and hardware are included.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

it normally would go into a pre existing cavity,but it could be mounted if you know somebody that has the skills without cutting a hole and yes its a pre amp and it includes a pickup that mounts under the bridge,if you dont allready have a guitar setup for this you will need some help.The whole setup includes a plug that fits into a hole for the guitar cable so a hole would have to be drilled to allow you to slide a nut over a threaded plug just like a normal guitar a battery is included I dont have all the answers mine was an easy install it is the same size as the old unit and a hole in the bridge allowed me to quickly set the pickup under the saddle. I would ask Guitarpix he is up to date on modifications. smile ps.your questions are not dumb on the contrary they are to the point smile

M.B. wrote:

Hi Russell,

I've got a couple of questions for you about this:

1. This unit goes into the side of the guitar, is that right? So if your guitar didn't already have space cut out, you would need to have a guitar tech do that, right?

2. This is just an equalizer and pre-amp, right? You'd need to have a pickup installed under the bridge or something right?

3. You need to have a plug put in at the bottom of the guitar to insert the cable that goes to the amp, right?

Sorry if these questions are dumb; I don't know very much about guitar electronics. Thanks for your help.

5 (edited by Russell_Harding 2012-07-01 00:58:01)

This is what comes with the preamp just scroll thru the photos below the picture of the unit. http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Guitar-E … pd_cp_MI_0
this is another model but mine came with all the extras this one pictured in this link seem not to have the plug to screw into the hole so I would go with the first link. smile

Thanks for the updated information, Russell. You really helped me understand how this unit would work if was going to get one.

Your welcome I did find another unit that has everything for $17 shipping is around 4 dollars but it looks like a nice deal smile
http://www.amazon.com/Pickup-Pre-Amp-Ac … y_MI_img_b