Topic: Lowering the bridge

Hey all,

I'm new to guitar and have read in several places that it's a good idea to lower the bridge on the guitar to make it easier to play and avoid fret buzz.  However, I've also read that taking all the strings off at once could damage a guitar.  I guess my question is, does lowering the bridge make a big difference and if not, should I risk it?

Thanks

For reference, I have a cheap, Fender Squier acoustic

Re: Lowering the bridge

Find a good Luther and follow his/her advice. If you lower the bridge too much you will produce that buzzing. Some guitars are just not worth the cost of working on them. Maybe you will find that buying a new one is where it's at.
Good luck

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

I have never tried lowering the bridge on my guitar..but have always stuck to a rule when changing my strings to avoid any damage to the fret board.

Change strings one by one . This way its vertually impossible to cause any damage.

Hi Worm,

There is also another thread relating to this on chordie, maybe even in this section. you might get a few tips there.
You say you are new to the guitar so that is making me think ( even though it is a cheap fender acoustic) that maybe the action is ok on the guitar and maybe you need to press harder on the strings? maybe not!!
Are your finger tips like the paw pads of a grizzly bear? if not then I would say you have to toughen yer fingers up to press harder on the strings.
But then, maybe your fingers are like the paws of a pussy cat that has been lying in bed for 6 weeks and your action still does need lowered.

If you really want it lowered, take it to a shop. It should not cost that much to gt it adjusted.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hey upyerkilt,

HAHA.  I've been playing for a couple months and my fingertips are fine now...not sure if they're grizzly bear level yet, but i think they're fine.  As far as the fret buzz is concerned, I don't get it often, but I will occasionally get it if my finger isn't absolutely right next to the fret (usually when I play an A chord without barreing or even sometimes on a D if I don't get it spot on), and I just hate that noise.  I'll look around for that other thread and maybe check prices at my local shop for the work to be done.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Ive managed to lower the action on my guitar by filing the saddle down. I picked up a new saddle and kept filing away untill it played as I wanted. I had the security of having the original so it wasnt really a risk.