Topic: Grrrrrrrrrrr.'[

My wife has been planning a girl's day for this Saturday for months.  Great!  She deserves some time away to spend with her friends.  I had been planning on taking the kids Christmas shopping, but guess whose eldest daughter is so far behind on her homework that we've got to stay home and sit on her shoulders until she gets it done?  So, another plan flushed because people in my household refuse to meet obligations.  At some point, I'm just going to say to heck with it and just take off and do stuff on my own.  If others want to join me, they can get their stuff done.  It's a real frustration.  So, instead, I'll spend time getting ahead on my stuff.  The laundry never got done this week, so I guess I'll take care of it.  And I've got some project planning I can do for my job.  Yay!  I get to spend my Saturday exactly the same way I normally spend my Wednesdays.  I can't even pop a cork because I have to stay fully focused and capable to take care of any emergencies the little knee biters get themselves into.  Not that my giant Swiss babies are knee biters by any stretch of the imagination.  The 11 year old is the second tallest female in the neighborhood (second only to her mother). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Grrrrrrrrrrr.'[

Peer pressure as a behavior-change motivator doesn't work to well when the offender is the oldest sibling.  So in my experience, forcing the entire family to miss out on something fun because of the eldest's infraction is not effective.  It gives the eldest a feeling of power, in that they feel they are controlling the entire family.

When the eldest is the offender, my recommendation is to find the thing the eldest most likes to do (movie, shopping, whatever), and take everyone else and make the eldest stay home and (in your case) finish homework.  The message is:  "There are consequences for your actions, but they are not going to affect the rest of us.  And oh by the way, if your homework isn't finished to MY satisfaction by the time we get home, then we move on to the next level of corrective action."

It works pretty well.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

It's not that I'm doing that as a punishment or for peer pressure Astro.  She's got the work to do and I'm not going to do it for her.  I'm also not going to let her not do the work.  While I think your approach would be good, I think she'd take the time to screw off and not do her work - meaning that we'd still have the frustration of forcing her to work.  Also, with her age the state would have something to say about us leaving her alone.  She's old enough, but not according to our county government, aka Nannies with Cops.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I was the oldest sibling that wasn't doing homework.  I'd suggest finding out why she's not keeping up.  Is there too much and it's overwhelming or is she underchallenged and bored?  In my case fixing the underlying problem would have been more effective than punishment.  It also sends the message that you're there to help her fix her problems instead of just nagging at her all the time.
And remember.....free advice is worth what you paid for it!

The problem is that she doesn't do it.  Seriously.  There's no underlying anything that we can tell.  We're trying to teach the lesson that there are people in the world who really can tell you what to do, that they don't care what your opinion is about it, and they can make your life very unpleasant if you don't do it.  It's not fair from her point of view and that's just a darned shame.

I think this is why lions eat their young! wink

I agree with 'Nom. I try to tell my son that everything he does or doesn't do affects someone else. So as a result of your daughter not getting her homework done, the rest of the family has to kick around the house and bail on plans that were made. I can totally see the flip side like Zurf said. Left to their own devices, it most likely won't get done. If you read the Dad contract, the word "Sacrifice" is in bold print. It's a fact of life.

Maybe it'a a blessing in disguise. You'll get caught up on stuff now so you can play another day.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree with Astro on this.  I think, after looking back on my child rearing days, that teaching responsibility and the fact that there should be consequences for everything we do, is the number one thing we can teach our children so they may go out into the world with that firm foundation.  I can't think of anything more important than teaching respnsibility to our children.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I have two daughters and one severely autistic son.   My son is the normal one.   My youngest girl is just entering those dark years.   My oldest is out of them and now thanks me for "kicking her in the ass and letting me make my own mistakes."

The oldest is chasing a Ph.D now so she turned out alright.  I'm still uncertain if the younger one will live to see 14.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I feel glad my days are done raising mine,I can see some ofwhat I went through by reading your posts.I had a double whammy though I was done with my two sons and after that I got re-married and three more came with the deal,that made my life pretty bad as I really had too play a balancing act. We somehow got through it,and I do not think I would do the stepkids again.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Well at noontime, she came out with all the work done.  I checked it, and she did a pretty good job of it.  Now, so much of it is late that her grades are still going to stink (they better anyway - I want the teacher to take off points for tardiness), but she did it.  So, we went out and did some Christmas shopping and got ice cream as we had planned.

My daughter has just finished high school FOR EVER, so now she thinks she is an adult, and has no curfews or rules. WRONG!!. She hasnt yet realised that with adulthood comes adult reponsibilities and decsions. But i guess life experience is all about learning that for yourself, and even making a few mistakes along the way. At 57 I'm still doing that!!.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Homework done - YAY!

Shopping - Booooo!

Ice cream - YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

13 (edited by Astronomikal 2012-12-02 02:00:53)

Zurf wrote:

Well at noontime, she came out with all the work done.  I checked it, and she did a pretty good job of it.  Now, so much of it is late that her grades are still going to stink (they better anyway - I want the teacher to take off points for tardiness), but she did it.  So, we went out and did some Christmas shopping and got ice cream as we had planned.

Sounds like excellent parenting to me.

I'm by no means an expert at this.  I favor corporal punishment at home and in schools, but I don't think it is necessary to beat a kid into submission.  The key is to break the will, but not the spirit.

I have found (mainly by watching what I consider to be gross errors made by other parents), that what needs to be done is set boundaries and establish cause and effect.  For example:  "if you do/don't do [this], then [this] will be the result."  That can be both positive and negative, and you really need both.  Make the kid understand that there are consequences for their actions.

Most parents try to do this, but where they screw up is that the don't follow through on the consequences side.  When this happens, kids learn to manipulate and get what they want, regardless of the cause and effect that they were told about.

As much as it can hurt, parents MUST follow though with "threats".  As I was trying to say earlier, this is especially effective if the consequences prevent older siblings from having their fun, because the older siblings' "peer pressure" can do a lot of your dirty work for you.

Glad it turned out OK for you Zurf.  Again, nice work from my vantage point.

Late Edit:  When my son was about 6 years old his cousins (my wife's brother's kids) were visiting.  The cousins started acting up (fighting) and would not settle down after repeated attempts at intervention.  I heard their mom say:  "I'm going to count to three . . ."

I immediately looked at my son and said:  "Understand this:  I don't count.  When I tell you to do something, it gets done.  Understood?"

My son and I are best friends now.  He has often thanked me for the way I raised him.  My advice to him now is:  Be a better parent than I was.  Learn from my mistakes and make your kids better than you are.  I believe if we can do that, the world will get better over time, and not worse.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

We count.  We do not warn that we will count.  We count.  The kids have each found out what happens when we get to ten (Mom) or three (me).  They do not like it. 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

We count.

If it works for you, fine.  To each his own.  At least you are following through with your stated consequences.

I'll shut up on this topic.  I learned a long time ago that parenting is a very personal thing.  I would never presume to tell another person how to parent.  (As much as I would like to sometimes.)

An update (some 15 years later):  My son's cousins (whose parents often did NOT follow through) are VERY troubled young adults.  My son is quite stable, responsible and balanced.  My wife's brother has told her in the past that we are "lucky".  My answer is "No (frankly) we did our jobs as parents, whereas you didn't."

I've never actually told him that (because it would be too crass) but that's how I feel.

jerome.oneil wrote:

I'm still uncertain if the younger one will live to see 14.

I'm sure she will, but I would bet it would help your cause more than you know if you enlist the help of your PhD candidate.  If you think the dynamic is right, let her kick your 13 year old's ass for a while.  Your 13 year old will probably relate to her more than she does you.

When I was 13 years old, my father was the stupidest man I had ever met.  By the time I was 21, he was pretty smart, and now that I'm almost 50, I realize he was a genius.

17 (edited by bunbun 2012-12-02 06:17:44)

"....Most parents try to do this, but where they screw up is that the don't follow through on the consequences side.  When this happens, kids learn to manipulate and get what they want, regardless of the cause and effect that they were told about.

As much as it can hurt, parents MUST follow though with "threats".  As I was trying to say earlier, this is especially effective if the consequences prevent older siblings from having their fun, because the older siblings' "peer pressure" can do a lot of your dirty work for you..."

This has been a problem in our house. My wife would threaten and not follow-up. The kids got so they would ignore her. I never made a threat unless I intended to follow up on it. Of course that caused another issue as the kids would then cry to mom and get what they wanted. This went on for some time until I told my wife that  when I was taking care of the kids (while she was at work, shopping, etc...) she was not to reverse punishments I decided upon while she was gone.

For years now the kids still tend to ignore the wife unless I step in and when I threaten punishment they know it will happen. All have learned the hard way.

jerome.oneil wrote:

This reminds me of a joke.  Q: Why did God tell Abraham to sacrifice Isaac on his 12th birthday?  A: Because if God had waited until he was 13 it wouldn't have been a sacrifice.

We're back to watching every move and constant direction this morning.  Yeah.  It's so much fun.

Astronomikal wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

I'm sure she will, but I would bet it would help your cause more than you know if you enlist the help of your PhD candidate.  If you think the dynamic is right, let her kick your 13 year old's ass for a while.  Your 13 year old will probably relate to her more than she does you.

When I was 13 years old, my father was the stupidest man I had ever met.  By the time I was 21, he was pretty smart, and now that I'm almost 50, I realize he was a genius.

Well, when the Ph.D candidate was 13, I was uncertain if she was going to live to see 14, too.  Kids (especially girls) go through phases.  It's normal for them to be complete hormonal little bastards.   The trick is to not let them hurt themselves while they figure out that you really are looking out for their best interests.  No child ever learned a single thing from someone else's mistakes.  All you can do is prepare them to deal with the outcomes, and hopefully teach them to look ahead so learning by doing isn't the only way they figure things out.

My son (the "disabled" kid) figured that out when he was about five.  Girls take about another 20 or so years, in my experience.

Zurf wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

This reminds me of a joke.  Q: Why did God tell Abraham to sacrifice Isaac on his 12th birthday?  A: Because if God had waited until he was 13 it wouldn't have been a sacrifice.

That one is going into the portfolio.  smile

Thirteen's like the teen version of the terrible two's,most likely you will both ride it out with out too much trouble.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Wow, I feel right at home reading all this.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

jerome.oneil wrote:

t.  I'm still uncertain if the younger one will live to see 14.

+1 on that. My older son is 12 about to be 13 and he is all hormones and attitude.  Thinks he should have the freedome my 17 yr old daughter has.  Trying to lie about stuff and getting caught and then open definace and a Battle of wills.  He pushes my buttons every chance he gets unless he wants something. (good thing he still looks innocent while sleeping!)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)