Topic: shooting in ct.

I have been watching the details of the school shooting,I can not find words too fit this crime the shooter did,it is unreal that someone would kill little kids like they were nothing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: shooting in ct.

Sincere sympathy and prayers from everyone down here in New Zealand. A heartbreaking story. You would expect an elementary school to be a safe haven for little people to thrive and flourish as they yearn for learning.

Yet again the gun debate will rear its ugly head, and yet again only to disapear into the mire of apathy and indecision, and nothing will be resolved.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Another soulless individual, who most likely honed his skill with violent ,video games, got bored then decided to move to real weapons and live, defenseless targets. This has become more prevalent. Too sad for words.

I am horrified at this act of madness I think a step in the right direction would be to ban all sales of guns on the internet especially assault weapons,I am not in favor of banning guns period but stricter background checks are needed.Guns for hunting,recreational use on a firing range or home protection is one thing but the ease in which these weapons are obtained by anyone has to be changed and one way would be that they could only be sold at a gun store where background checks and a waiting period to obtain more information on whoever is buying them I would include shotguns or any firearm in this,I'm sure this would create a hardship on retale sales but senseless acts of this nature could be diminished,this will not insure or prevent another crazy from useing another weapon you cant legislate human morality but it would save a lot of grief of victims families in this to frequent occuring nightmare.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Horrible.  It's time for additional thinking about how we treat our mentally disturbed.  If this is another example of someone who is in therapy, but the therapist was prohibited from divulging his expectations of someone being a menace to society, I'll scream.  We have a conflict of rights.  It's right to protect people's privacy.  It's right to protect society from people who plan violence.  Those are the hardest situations to resolve.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I`m still shocked over this. I can`t imagine sending my kids to school only to have them taken away by some nutcase with a gun. These kids did nothing to deserve this. That stupid &^%# should have killed himself first. Then worry about killing others

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

7 (edited by Astronomikal 2012-12-16 17:41:08)

Russell_Harding wrote:

I think a step in the right direction would be to ban all sales of guns on the internet especially assault weapons

The sad truth is that there is nothing that can be done by congress to stop this sadness from occurring.  I might be wrong, but I think it is ALREADY illegal to sell guns over the internet.  For examples:
>  You can't buy guns on Amazon.com.
>  gun manufacturers like Sig Sauer and Beretta will not sell guns via mail order.
>  Sports stores such as Academy and Bass Pro Shops will allow you to check inventory and in-store availability online, but you can't buy. 
>  Other sites such as budsgunshop.com will allow you to buy online, but they won't ship directly to you.  They ship to your local dealer, such that you have to go pick it up and (I presume) register it before you can take posession of it.

The point being is that there are already some controls and safeguards in place for internet sales.  Again, I don't know if that's because of laws or because of company policy.  But regardless, it's there, and these horrors still happen.

A person who wants a gun will get one regardless of what laws are on the books.  Even if you outlaw the MANUFACTURE of (say) assault weapons, bad guys will either import them or make them for themselves.  Think about what happened during prohibition.

I'm not saying we should just throw in the towel and do nothing.  I'm a proud gun owner and am in favor of SOME gun control.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  I think more can be done, but I think it needs to be (as Zurf said) more in the way of determining a person's fitness for ownership.  But even then, if a person is mentally unbalanced, if they want a gun, they can get one.  Heroin is illegal, but it doesn't stop people from getting it if they want it badly enough.

As a final point, keep in mind that Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the country.  It also has a very high (if not the highest) per capita crime rate in the country.  The bad guys know that the good guys are less likely to be armed.  That's not speculation, that's their testimony from jailhouses and courtrooms.

People who are intent on breaking the law will break it.  Criminals don't follow laws.  That's why they are criminals.  There are already laws against taking guns onto school property.  You can see how well those are working.

Late edit --- The most effective solution to a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.  Consider this: how different might the outcome had been if some members of the faculty or staff were trained to carry and use weapons on the job?   Just think about it.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

8 (edited by bensonp 2012-12-16 18:18:25)

I think this goes way beyond gun issues.  It is about how we are raised, about television violence and violent games, perhaps about what we eat  (it's McDonalds fault).  It is about teaching our children responsibility and consequences and good values.  It is about a world of fast, at your finger tips information.  It is about terrorism in the news.  It is about all the bad news every day and the lack of good news.  It is about how the media plays out these instances by asking the parents what they are feeling right after their child was shot.  This world is going to hell in a hand basket and it seems there is nothing we can do about it.  Other than this little rant, I also am left speechless.  There are 28 households that will have unopened Christmas presents under their trees after Christmas.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I didn't say anything about fitness for ownership, though I'm in favor of it.  I'm concerned about mental fitness...period.  Some people have mental deficiencies or illnesses.  I'm not wanting to point and laugh at those folks.  Far from it.  I'm also not suggesting that we just lock up everyone who is "different."  But I do think we need to think - as a society - about how to deal with people who aren't fitting into that society for no fault of their own.  Prison isn't the answer, not always.  Not if the person sincerely is incapable of controlling impulses, or doesn't see the difference between right and wrong in a very dangerous way.  I don't know if that was this guy's problem, but I'm guessing that there's got to be something screwy about someone who sees a class of five and six year olds as targets.  My wild, unsupported guess is that this guy had some serious mental health issues, was already in therapy or had already been seen more than once over anger control and dangerous behavior, and that there just wasn't anything that our current system could do to help him or to at least neutralize him as a societal threat in a way that is least harmful to him. 

I don't have any solid answers, but there's got to be something we can do better.  Let's not forget that the worst school tragedy wasn't with a gun, but a truck in Oklahoma City.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

I didn't say anything about fitness for ownership...

You're right, my bad.  That's where my mind when when you started talking about mentally disturbed individuals.  "Said" was too strong a word.  "Alluded to" may be too strong also, but again, that's where your comment took me.

Pete's right in that this goes way beyond gun issues.  Unfortunately, that's what the debate will center around.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

It will center arounmd two issues.  Guns and mental illness.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

It will center arounmd two issues.  Guns and mental illness.

a bad combonation...   sad, sad event.

should never have  happened,,,

badeye..

one caper after another

The fact that so many have no real access to mental health practitioners because of no health insurance has to be a contributing factor. The only option for family and friends of potential whack job killers is to call in the police and declare a son or brother to be a danger to himself or others can be a pretty hard thing to do.

As to gun control, there are so many guns out there in the U.S. now that any new regulations would be ineffective anyway.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

14 (edited by gander1 2013-01-03 06:51:31)

As horrific as this was, it has happened before. "Bath School Disaster" in 1927. Thirty-eight elementary school children and 6 adults  were killed by a deranged bomber. Only one gun was used-in his suicide.

I watched it all unfolding, and before they said it... after hearing people descibe him... I saw, Autism and likley either some type of bipolar disorder or possibly even schizophrenia.  Autism alone wouldn't be enough to cause someone to act so rashly, however... it would allow someone with other disorders to organize, to not be capable of thinking with a "clear mind" about the aftermath, or the OTHER people who would be sad (to put it lightly).  Clearly he had to have been being treated, and if not, then his own parents, doctors, and school system failed him and every single person that lost their lives and will forever be affected by that day.  Actually, it seems the guns belonged to his mother.  She taught him to shoot.  I can see this happening if he just had Autim without the other issues on top... maybe he had an obsession with guns and this was her way of keeping him focused... Autistic obsessions are near impossible to quell.  However, I digress, there was something else there inside this young man that wasn't being treated properly and I can only blame those closest to him.  Clearly he was mentally distrubed.  And what happened to his father and older brother?  They just left him behind with his mother who was buying assult weapons and teaching him how to use them. 

No matter the spin, it's terrible for every single person involved and especially for children to lose their lives so early in such an incomprehensible act. Sad... to put it lightly. 

What I don't understand, is what is the purpose in the average person owning an assult weapon?  You don't hunt with it, and a pistol seems like it would be a better choice for personal protection.  I don't think assult weapons belong in homes - period.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

People do hunt with assault weapons.  The features that make a rifle into an "assault weapon" have nothing to do with their power.  One of the 'assault weapons' commonly shown is exactly the same rifle that has been the most popular hunting rifle for beginner hunters for many years except it's a different color and has a different stock on it.  There's no difference whatsoever in its power or usefulness for one purpose or another.  The term is a made-up term intended to cause an emotional response and has little to do with the rifles themselves. 

However, I agree with you on the rest.  I think the mother was extremely reckless to have firearms stored in a house with a child who had violent tendencies.  Legal?  Yep.  Smart?  No.  Not really.

I resent the notion that autism played any part in this.  The kid was an asshole, raised by assholes.

Further, a .223 round isn't good for hunting anything larger than coyotes.  It is a varmint rifle, and the differences between it and the Bushmaster are vast.  The Bushmaster *is* an assault rifle, and that term does have meaning.   It is a gas operated weapon with a large magazine.  The various hunting rifles are almost exclusively bolt action with a five or seven round magazine.

This

http://molot.biz/product-e/vepr223-pioner.jpg

is not this

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/50cb9c5becad04c867000015-400-300/10182805.jpg

You will not get the same rate of fire out of the first that you will the second.  You will not get the same volume of fire from the first as the second.   If you did, the army would never have replaced the M1903 with the M1 Garand.

Assault weapon:  It's a thing.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]