Topic: James Taylor's tuning Theory

I saw a video with James Taylor discussing his method for tuning a guitar. He said if you capo a lot as he does, standard E tuning will cause certain strings to go flat or sharp when a capo is added. First you need to have a tuner that will read "Cents" on the tuning meter. A lot of tuners have the "Cent" feature but are not real defined. What you think may just be lines on the tuner are "Cent" markers . If yours will read "Cent" in numbers this will be easier to do. There is a Plus and Minus side for the "Cent" markers. These are all on the Minus side.
Here's how he does it.

E minus 3  ,  B minus 6  ,  G minus 4 ,  D minus 8  , A minus 10 , E minus 12
    or
E - 3 , B - 6 , G - 4 , D - 8 , A - 10 , E - 12

I haven't tried this yet. Wondering if anyone else uses this method ?

Joe

Re: James Taylor's tuning Theory

Depends upon the capo. If you place the capo in the right spot without using too much tension, you shouldn't have that problem. My capos all have adjustable tension so it's just a matter of getting them dialed in.

Also after you place the capo you can give each string a quick pull to flatten 'em back out if they've gone sharp.

Both options beat compromising your ability to play in root position.

B-
Good point. I've never really noticed a a tonal difference when I capo and I do it alot.
But maybe I just don't have the perfect ear either.
  I'm sure he changes guitars when he doesn't capo which makes easier to stay in which ever key he is in. And no one wants to tune and retune one guitar for a few different songs.
I'm sure he has his reason's or quirks for doing it.
Again good points .

Joe

Tyson - will try this, if I can work it out on my tuner!
BGD - that's a good tip. I often have to adjust the bass E string when I put a capo on, - it seems to go slightly sharp.

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I think a great deal has to do with the intonation of the guitar if its good a capo should not make a great difference I dont have any issues when I clamp it on I use a Kyser smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"