Topic: Oiling fret board

When oilling fret board do you loosen strings or just wipe right over the top

Let no talents go unused

Re: Oiling fret board

Art, I usually oil the fret board when I change strings. When I change strings I take all the strings off. So the strings are not in the way at all. Some folks don't like to remove all the strings bit I have never had issues from doing that and I've been doing it for over 30 years.
Use a lemon oil specificly for fret board use. And don't over appy. Wipe off any excess completely. You don't need to over appy, use just enough to get into the wood.
Hope this helps.

Joe

I never heard of oiling a fretboard what do you hope to accomplish with this? wiping the strings and neck after a performance or practice has worked fine with me and I have been pickin 50 yrs. I do put oil on my salad and subs. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

A lot of people will tell you a lot of different things when it comes to caring for your guitar.  Lemon oil is something I've heard on numerous occasions. There is also different and varying opinions on whether or not to take all strings off when changing them out or just take one or two off at a time. I agree with Tyson7 in that I have never experienced any problems with removing all the strings, which gives you an opportunity to thoroughly clean the fret board. Though I'm not an expert by any means, I do however know some who are. Try Dunlop Formula 65 Guitar Polish and cleaner. just a couple of sprays on a clean cloth goes a long way and really makes your guitar look nice, it's inexpensive and you can use it often. Lacking this cleaner, lemon oil is viable option. Just don't use very much and wipe it off thoroughly. Hope this helps.

If others have and advice or opinions on this subject, I would be interested in hearing them. Any information I can get on keeping my guitars in top condition can be very helpful, and educational.  Come'on  pro's how about sharing some tried and true tricks or experiences you've gained throughout your years/careers.

Thanks in advance
cj-5

5 (edited by Russell_Harding 2013-03-14 18:53:09)

I just did and I am a pro,made a livin on the road and in studios for over 40 yrs.

6 (edited by cj-5 2013-03-14 19:49:32)

Can't argue with that Russell. 40 years speaks volumes. But what do you do if you live in an extremely dry environment and have no way of controlling humility. what keeps it from drying out? I can't imagine not putting some type of moisture returning product in any of my wood furniture. Is guitar wood any different? Also some people have naturally more acid in their system then others that cause deterioration of the finish on wood and/or metal. Will wiping with a dry cloth keep the acid from eating away the finish?

Not disagreeing with you. I don't have nearly the experience you have,  but it just goes against everything I've been taught about wood, especially in a very dry environment.

Respectfully,
cj-5

I've heard all I need thanks guys

Let no talents go unused

Russell_Harding wrote:

I never heard of oiling a fretboard what do you hope to accomplish with this? wiping the strings and neck after a performance or practice has worked fine with me and I have been pickin 50 yrs. I do put oil on my salad and subs. smile

I have never oiled myfretboard either,russell has this right!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I oil my fretboard when I change strings because I like the way it makes it look.  It's not something that you have to do for the guitar's sake.  I do the remove all strings, clean and oil, replace strings approach too. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I just pulled this off the first site I googled. 
A well-oiled rosewood fretboard is essential to protecting your guitar's neck and its overall value. If a fretboard becomes too dry it can cause warping and cracking. Protecting your guitar's fretboard can be accomplished with very little effort. Preventative maintenance is the best insurance for any instrument.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Now that doesn't necessarily make it true, but hey guys.  Common sense prevails.  Woods like a little oil now and then.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

12 (edited by zguitar 2013-03-15 00:09:51)

cj-5 wrote:

Can't argue with that Russell. 40 years speaks volumes. But what do you do if you live in an extremely dry environment and have no way of controlling humility.

So funny, a typo obviously, but still funny. HUMILITY. Right after Russell says he is a pro.

I forgot to add my 2 cents. I oil my fretboards when changing strings also. I just like to get them clean and nice looking. Lots of gunk on our fingers.  I do believe that if they get too dry they can crack.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

bensonp wrote:

A well-oiled rosewood fretboard is essential to protecting your guitar's neck and its overall value. If a fretboard becomes too dry it can cause warping and cracking. Protecting your guitar's fretboard can be accomplished with very little effort. Preventative maintenance is the best insurance for any instrument.

I agree with this... I oil mine (lemon or olive) after cleaning the fretboard when changing strings.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I oil once a year or so, around the same time I buff frets and whatnot, so I only do it with strings removed. Some oils will break down strings so you have to be careful. Lemon oil is a fave of mine.

If you're too lazy, just spray 'er down with finger ease or fast fret or whatever.

15 (edited by dino48 2013-03-15 00:55:47)

I have never had a problem with any of my guitars,and have never oiled the frets. I do have oily skin(Italian heritage) so that may make a differance.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

my favorite oil is KY works wonders smile

Whenever I change strings I use lemon oil on the fretboard. Right over the old strings. Then I wipe that part of the fretboard after I remove the old string. I also wasted 20.00 on the Gibson guitar care kit. A tiny bottle of lemon oil is called fretboard conditioner. A tiny bottle of guitar polish and a tiny bottle of metal polish. A chamois cloth that says Gibson and a tiny brush. A big bottle of lemon oil is available at Walmart for a lot less. Along with all the other products.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Due to our wide-ranging winter-to-summer climate (it's Canada, eh?), a little lemon oil is necessary now and then to keep the fret board from actually shrinking. This can cause protruding frets, cracking fretboards, and even little chips coming out on the edges ... who needs it? We'll typically run anywhere from 70% - 90% humidity from May until October, then drop to 30% - 40% in the winter. That's tough on most tone woods, which are typically quite porous to produce resonance.

Most of our guitar shops run humidifiers all winter and dehumidifiers all summer, to keep their air at that ideal 55% - 60% relative humidity. At home, we run a dehumidifier in the summer for comfort, but since I don't want the extra cost of heating damp air in winter plus condensation on the windows, the fret boards get some lemon oil every Fall during a string change. The trick is a real light application, as others have said. It'll soak in, and won't leave a residue to gunk up the strings.

Your local climate will help dictate your need to oil or not to oil ... hope this is helpful.

19 (edited by cj-5 2013-03-15 22:43:47)

I have both lemon oil and Dunlop formula 65. Lemon oil is good stuff and hard to beat, but it leaves a film that requires a little more effort to remove. Maybe it's the laziness in me, but I prefer the formula 65 because it only take a couple of sprays on a clean dry cloth to do a guitar. It brings back the "like new" luster and IMHO, It's faster and more convenient to use than lemon oil.

A 4 oz spray bottle cost me $5.00 at Guitar Center. I believe it will take care of my guitars for at least a couple of years, if not longer.  A little goes a long way, and that's important to me because I tend to keep everything spotless and clean. Now, that doesn't mean it's the best stuff on the planet. I'm sure there's other stuff that's really good. It's just that Formula 65 was recommended to me by a guy who has, for the past 26 years, been in the business of repairing, rebuilding and setting up stringed instruments. I just know it works well.  I still use light coat of lemon oil on the fretboard once a year or so. Maybe I don't need to but I do it anyway.

Cool,
cj-5

That Dunlop formula 65 sounds pretty good to me.  I think I'll try it.

Without rock and roll, there is no music.

I know this is an older post but I want to put my 2€ in. As for oiling the fretboard, ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. But, as for the taking all the strings off at one time, I do and have been for 45 years and my guitars are in great shape.
When asked, Mr. Godin answered, " we have several hundred guitars at our factory that have no strings on them and I venture to say it hasn't hurt a one." I own one of Mr Godin's guitars (Seagull Maritime SWS) and I know it hasn't hurt mine.
Now, I do use a lemon/orange furniture conditioner on all my fretboards at each string change. I would say SPARINGLY is the key word. I wipe on and let sit for 30 minutes or so and wipe down with a dry cotton cloth. (Old T shirt). Some folks use 000 steel wool to clean theirs but I tried once and it leaves small metal shavings and its the devil to clean up. I had to vacuum and wipe for 30 minutes and I still felt it wasn't clean. I don't want metal particles hiding anywhere on my guitar.

My 2 cents.
Make music,

Russell

To sum it up...... Use a little oil if it makes you feel better. (It helps the wood) And don't use it if you haven't had any problems through the years.

I removed all the strings on my Bass guitar a couple of years ago. It did cause problems with the truss rod. When I put the new strings on and began tuning it, the strings were right down on the frets. i've not removed a whole set of strings since. It took quite a while to get the neck straight again.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

I oil my rosewood fretboards but never, ever oil my maple fretboards.

On maple, I just use normal guitar polish.

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

manicbassman wrote:

I oil my rosewood fretboards but never, ever oil my maple fretboards.

On maple, I just use normal guitar polish.

Guitar polish probably has a little oil in it.